VCR tape won't eject

Suzanne Crenshaw
Unregistered guest
Quasar model # VV2020W TV/VCR combo circa 1994

Long story, I''ll try to be as succinct as possible.

Tape stopped when I pressed back button, will not play, rewind or eject.
Turning set off or unplugging then on again didn't help.

I know absolutely nothing about VCR innards, but, noway is this worth the cost of repairs, so I am trying to get it out myself (with the help of several websites) and find out if this is a serious malfunction, before giving it up for dead.

It makes a louder-than usual whirring noise, when I press eject or turn on the set, as if it is trying to eject the tape. (I read this may be a problem with a belt) but nothing moves. Tape was of no value, I would not have tried to reuse it anyway. Dozens of websites give detailed instructions on how to get the tape back in the cassette, then just say "manually eject the cassette" with out any instruction of how to do that.

I took the back off, cut and removed the tape and a bunch of lint from what I believe is the "roller guide assembly" where was stuck tight. Plugged it back in nd same noise-won't eject, so that was not the only problem.

One website with instructions for this exact model says

"locate the motor that powers the cassette carriage. If there is a worm gear in the mechanism, you must hand cycle somewhere between the motor and that gear. Once again, the shaft or pulley that comes out of the motor is usually the best place."

This is greek to me, what do I look for and how much more of the machine do I have to disasemble to to take the tape out? And, how likely is it that it still won't work anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1102
If you're right on age, it should have a sticker with the manufactered date on the back, the loading motor is under the carriage assembly on the right side, you'll see a motor with a belt connecting it to a pulley. If it's the mode switch it may not do it again for awhile and it may do it the next time you put a tape in it. It could be a broken belt.

mjene
Unregistered guest
Hello My 10 yr old Magnavox vcr has a sound problem. Sound is garbled at first, then eventually clears, but after a time no sound at all. I've taken the tape to a second vcr and sound is fine. I'm thinking the vcr needs replaced. Would appreciate any opinions. THanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1116
Look at the tape and see if it's crinkling the bottom edge.

Tim Bunn
Unregistered guest
I have an SV 2000 VCR and there is a tape stuck. When I turn the VCR on it says eject and then it turns off. How do I fix this?

Tim Bunn
Unregistered guest
I have an SV 2000 VCR and there is a tape stuck. When I turn the VCR on it says eject and then it turns off. How do I fix this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1235
Unplug it and plug it back in. If it doesn't work, junk it and buy a better one next time.

Lora
Unregistered guest
I have a little bit of info that might be helpful to someone out there.

I have a Magnavox/Philips 90's vcr and there was a tape in it that would not eject. It would not do anything. When I turned it on it would make a sound like it was starting up (whirring sound) then it would just turn off. I read lots of sites to see what to do and found one that told how to manually eject the tape. I was looking around in the VCR to see if I could find the worm drive the site was talking about. I noticed there was a belt drive that seemed to be running things so I tried to turn it. When the vcr was on the motor and belt would turn feely but when it was off it wouldn't turn. I unplugged the vcr and tried to turn it (just a little turn towards the front of the vcr by putting my finger on top of the pully and rolling towards the front) and it turned and made a little click noise down where the belt was attached below so I plugged it in again and the tape ejected! It works fine now.

Short version: Try unplugging the vcr and turning the belt drive a little (both ways) and plug it in again and see if it works.

Hope this helps someone.

Lora
Unregistered guest
Here is the site with those directions on manually ejecting the tape for you to try if what I said doesn't help.

http://www.fixer.com/no-eject.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us