Upconverting DVD Players

Username: Ericdfairchild

Post Number: 1
(i searched for a similar thread but didn't find any that weren't in the archives, so here goes...)

I've got a 60" Projection LCD with HDMI and Component inputs, but no DVI input.

There are a few "upconverting" DVD players out there that convert 480p to 720p or 1080i - most notably:
- Samsung HD931
- V Bravo D1
- NeuNeo HVD208 (http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?id=447)

Three questions for a newbie:
1) Is the difference between 480p and 720p that big a deal? (reading reviews it does seem to be, so i'm leaning toward "yes)
2) The NeuNeo says it can put 720p or 1080i/p out through the Component out, in addition to the HDMI output (which I would like since i'll probably have my HD cable box in my HDMI port) - does putting 720p through Component defeat the purpose, or is the quality still there?
3) Can any other DVD players out there upscale to 720p and output that through Component? Or are they all DVI (which counts me out)?

thanks in advance for the help

ericf

Gary keller
Unregistered guest
I am a newbie to upconverting DVD players as well. I have a Panasonic projector with a HDMI input. I found a Sony DVP-NS975V upconverting DVD player review in Home Theater magazine (may 2005). This player has an HDMI output. FYI.

wineguy
Unregistered guest
Answers - 1) the most resolution current DVD's can produce is 480p. All you are paying for with an upconverting DVD player is letting your DVD player upconvert rather than your TV. LCD and DLP sets use a 720p native resolution, so your TV will internally convert ALL inputs to that resolution. There is no gain from using that type of DVD player unless the converter is better in your DVD than your TV (doubtful with the low end models you mention).

2)Component cables can carry HD signals just as HDMI, it's just in analog form vs. digital with HDMI. People usually assume the digital (HDMI) path will always give better results, but that's not true as it depends on the quality of converters. One thing to note is the quality of your cables is important with analog, while with digital it makes no difference. Generic HDMI cables are cheaper than quality component. I use component as I use my A/V receiver to switch between video sources (HD cable & DVD) and only $5K models currently offer HDMI for that. HDMI also has copyright protection features that may make recording off of cable, etc. impossible.

3) Most newer models have discontinued DVI outputs and gone to HDMI. If you use component, you defeat any possible improvement as you do not eliminate any digital to analog conversions. Even with HDMI, I doubt it's better unless you have a high end DVD player ($500- 1000) with superior converters. Better to save the money and wait for true HD DVD players.

Post Number: 2
Wineguy - thanks for the detailed writeup. I actually went with the NeuNeo with some high quality Monster Component cables, and have been pretty happy with it. Maybe it's just me wanting to justify my purchase :-), but the 1080i seems a little bit better than the other resolutions.

wineguy
Unregistered guest
Glad you're happy with it. I had never heard of that brand, but checked your link and saw that unit has some very interesting capabilities. Now you need to get a 1080p TV! (alas there are no video sources for it) I too was sold on upconversion, but went with a good universal player as DVD Audio and SACD were important to me. I bought much of my gear from a custom installer who does real high end systems (was doing a $250K system in a $10M house) and he said there is no improvement from upconversions. Do a search on ecoustics on the Sony upconverting model and you'll get two editorial reviews, with one saying they couldn't tell the difference and one saying they could. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Post Number: 3
I hadn't heard of that brand before I ran across it, and so was a little wary of purchasing it through eBay, but those guys had great volume and feedback so I took the plunge since the features were so unique. So far so good!

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder -and if the beholder spent $250 on something, it probably looks that much more beautiful!

Unregistered guest
Are there true HD DVD players in the near future???

Unregistered guest
How do I convert my Samsung HT-DB120N Home Theatre system (DVD player) to multi-Region. I bought two Region 1 DVDs which won't play on the system?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us