Westinghouse 30" LCD LTV-30W2

Bravo 3
Unregistered guest
So, I've been looking at these new Westinghouse LCDs at Best Buy and reading a lot of good stuff about the 32" and 37" models.

What about the 30"?
Unlike the others it has an 'in-between' 5:3 aspect ratio which could be good for me since I plan on using it to play a lot of older video games as well as watch DVDs. I also want to hook up my PC to it via DVI and this model supports 1280x768 where the others do not.

So it's looking great... but are there any downsides to this one that I might be overlooking? ...or should it be more or less the same as it's 32 and 37 inch kin?

Thanks!

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
I have both the Westinghouse 30" and 37".

The 30" is far inferior. The specs might be close, but color, motion and quality of non-hd source is inferior.

I had 30" for a week before I got the 37" and was blown away by improvement in 37".

I think 32" is similar to 37"

Note that 30" is a lot cheaper than 32" for almost same size screen.

I have not tried 30" on PC with DVI--will do end of this week. The video processing technology that's superior on 37" may be specific to TV source?

By the way according to manual the 37" supports the following:

1024X768 @60,75 Hz
1280X768 @60,75 Hz
1280X1024 @60,75Hz
1920X1080 @60Hz

also 800X600 and 640X480

Hope that helps.

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
Specs--user manuals for Westinghouse LCD's are on www.westinghousedigital.com

30" 32" listed under LCD tv's
37" listed under LCD montors since it doesn't have tuner.

30" has 16ms refresh
32" 8ms
37" 12ms

Bravo 3
Unregistered guest
Thanks so much.

I browsed the manuals and found the 32" doesn't support 1280x768 so that one is out. Also, the 37" is just too pricy for me so unfortunatly that one is out as well.

The 27" shares the same manual as the 32" which both support 1280x768. I wonder how the 27" compares to the 30"...

Also, as far as the improved tv singnal processing, I don't plan to watch any HDTV on it, but I do want to have the ability to be able to in the future. Mainly I want it to work well for my PC through DVI, viewing DVDs through component, and playing older video games through S-Video and newer video games that are 480p.

Do you think I would be dissapointed in the 30" for these applications?

Also, anyone have experinece with the 27"?

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
Just connected a Samsung HD841 DVD player which can upconvert to 1024X768 (768P) which gives great picture with the Westinghouse 30". No "artifacts".

The Samsung upconverts to 480P 720P 768P or 1080i.

You can really see the difference at 768P compared to others.

Previously had LG LST-3510A DVD tuner combo which did horrible job.

Highly recommend Westinghouse 30" and Samsung HD841 combo.

PS. HD841 can be had on the cheap because newer models with HDMI have come out. HD841 has DVI--but that's what matches my TV and they include the cable! The Westy 30" is also a bargain.

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
LG LST-3510A DVD player also adequately upconverts to 720P, which also works well on Westinghouse 30", but only using DVI--not component.

Problem is that is that 3510a front panel display was showing 720P (or 1080i--as per your setting) using component eventhough it was only sending 480P.

The resolution setting process on LG3510a is very confusing anyway--and for DVD player using composite it maxes out at 480P not matter what you set it to.

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
Correct last sentence of previous post:

and for DVD player using COMPONENT it maxes out at 480p ---

Username: Cubictriangle

Post Number: 1
for use as a computer monitor #1 realy good vid card,latest drivers, #2 free program called Power Strip lets you set weird video configurations to make most LCD,and plasma work very well with your computer
http://www.entechtaiwan.net/

Unregistered guest
I have a Westinghouse LCD 32", and have not been successful to connect my laptop with VGA OUTPUT to the DVI input on the LCD. I purchased a VGA to DVI adapter, but the LCD was not detecting the signal using the same "Monster M500" DVI cable used for my DVI-DVD player. It works fine with a SVGA cable. How have some of you connected VGA to DVI?

Username: O2byzst

Post Number: 1
I've noticed that all TVs have special custom settings that can be set that really make the colors look good. I've got the Westinghouse LCD 30 (which I know is inferior) but does anyone have brightness, hue, contrast, etc settings that are recommended?

Scott T
Unregistered guest
I have the same question as Chris about Custom settings, please post a response here

Wilson PIckett
Unregistered guest
I have the 32" set. It took me a long time to find a good combination that works on all channels.
Personally I don't like the comic book, overdriven picture.
My settings are optimized for night, but work well in daytime also.
So view at night before making final judgement on these settings.

I see that the 30" has the same screen controls, so assuming it has similar electronics and screen technology, I'd think you would get simiar results.

BRT 68 CON 27 SAT 34 HUE -2 TMP 3 SHP 8 LGT 24
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us