To fix, or not to fix?

Username: Woolagen

Post Number: 1
ive got a 32 inch sharp 32us50 tv. in a storm the power flickered and the tv has not worked since. it was connected to surge protector, but apparently not a very good one. i would say it must have shorted out.

question- going on the odds, is it worth even trying to fix this set, or even having someone look at it?

any thoughts would be very much appreciated. thanks.

Username: Woolagen

Post Number: 2
anyone? im willing to settle for an educated guess...

thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1083
The same thing happened to one of my TVs about 10 years ago. It was the regulator, cost $75 to fix. I found a good repair shop that doesn't rip people off, not always an easy thing to do.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 196
If it took a hit, all I can tell you is lightning is really weird. I live in the 'Lightning Capital' of Arizona, second only to Florida, in the U.S., and I've lost 1000's of dollars of equipment over the years.

Any competent repairman can follow the lightning through your circuit board[s]. It's actually visible to the naked eye - etches the board[s] really nice. Then, THEY can tell you if it's worth it or not.

However, I've had the power flicker and surge before (no direct hit) and all it did was scramble the logic, e.g. you need (or the repaiman needs) to get into the service menu and reset everything. This might be your case.

Sorry, that's about it...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us