Lcd or rear proj. dlp? Help!

Anonymous

Our tv just died yesterday. We spent the day looking at all of the tv choices out there. Now I'm totally confused about what I should purchase. In our den the furniture sits perpendicular to the tv and back a ways-viewing would be from a slight side angle. Does this affect the type of set I should purchase? Also, we are looking at the 30-44" sizes. Any suggestions on manufacturers, models, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my husband is getting ready to leave on an extended business trip and I want to get this purchased before he leaves.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 707
Depends on a lot of factors, including your preferences. CRTs still give the absolute best picture but they are heavy. Some folks would sacrifice picture quality for convenience. We need to know your preferences and budget if you really want useful advice.

Anonymous

I'm not saying price is not a consideration, but I think my husband is prepared to pay for a good tv. His preference is the LCD models. The CRTs are just so huge to get the larger widescreens. I don't think one would fit in our entertainment center, actually. I think we are probably looking at 34" or slightly larger. We just looked at a 37" Westinghouse LCD monitor and both really liked the screen size.
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 197
42" Sony KDF-42WE655 Grand Wega... Can't go wrong!

http://www.kdf-42we655.com/kdf42we655_reviews/index.html

You can thank me later... :-)

grfunk
Unregistered guest
I've owned a 42" Sony KDF-42WE655 Grand Wega since last October. Very nice TV. No problems with it. Looks great on just about everything I put to it.

Bronze Member
Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 23
TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) has an article series that may help you. Here's a link: http://www.techlore.com/article/10497/

engine giver
Unregistered guest
LCD or BVD? What difference does it make? Neither will last more than a moon or two.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1149
I agree with dale on this.

It depends on what you're looking for. You'll get the best picture from a CRT, but the LCD models are smaller and lighter, and they cost more.

If size and weight arent an issue, I'd definitely go with the CRT. If you need something small and light, then the obvious choice is a LCD.

I saw your 'entertainment center' comment......OUCH....
Big mistake IMO....

Nothing worse than holding back your HT because of a piece of furniture. When it comes to HDTV, bigger is better, and I'd sell the ET center at a garage sale if I were you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Just a passing comment...

I don't know what kind of CRT you guys are talking about, but "best picture"?!?!?!

Every CRT color TV I've ever seen (my whole life) has a 'blue tint' to it - drives me crazy! I was told, years ago, that there isn't anything 'they' can do about it. If you want a CRT, you gotta put up with the excessive 'blues'...

Ever walk into a Circuit City, Best Buy, or whatever, and view a wall of CRT's from afar? All you see is blue...

To me, that's the #1 reason NOT to get a CRT TV, e.g. the poor picture quality!

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Doing a quick scan on Google, here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about...

http://www.sisseton.k12.sd.us/DTL/2002/July/pictures/first%20pics/The%20two%20TV s-1.jpg

Username: 4u2ges

Post Number: 10
I guess they're talking about a decent CRT's as an opposite to the low end junk (Viewsonik, KTV.. etc) you're probably referring to..
I have not seen anything better yet than a CRT. What "blue" are you talking about??? My 12 year old 32" XBR96 still produces the best picture I have seen out there. It's all the matter of a video processing circuit's quality and the proper tint/color balance. High end sets even have preset color temperature controls where you select it to be warm/cold...

I'm not even going to comment the low quality picture with some unknown TV brand along with unbalanced tint you've posted... This is so funny..:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
Vin you have obviously not critically appraised the Sony KD34XBR960. Best HD picture on the planet. Bar none. You've been looking at the Samsungs and other bottom dwellers. Not unusual for you however, since that is where you tend to hang out.

Chaz Mutton
Unregistered guest
Can't believe I agree with dumb a$$ dale on the Sony 960 being an awesome tv. Will show regular cable and HD very well. If bigger is wanted then 42 inch Sony LCD is the one to get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 784
Chaz, despite your shallowness, the acceptance of truth is the beginning of wisdom. But you have a long way to go. I understand why your last name is Mutton. Perfect.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 420
Chaz, besides being moved by you incredible sentience in the English language, I think you are wrong about Dale. He may be brash, but I trust more of what he has to say more than the majority of posters in this forum. Yes the Sony has the best picture, I believe that tube style hd sets still hold the bar as far as clarity goes. When going bigger than 34" wide or 40" 4:3, then I suggest sticking with the crt projection units if you have the depth. I still have not seen a dlp, lcd projection or lcos set that can compare to a Mitsubishi Diamond series crt projection tv for clarity.

Chaz Mutton
Unregistered guest
Don't cry d.a.d. This just happens to be your nickname on dorm floor. Your idiotic posts litter whole forum. Take compliment we actually agree with you on 960. Joco, while we disagree on crt projection vs lcd for larger sets, you don't annoy us with stupid generalizations and lack of facts like d.a.d. You actually post information that is useful like above mit diamond. Nice set for someone with space. Anon posted size limit for center so sony lcd would be best in this case. Just ask grfunk. Don't know you engine giver but you make no sense. Lcd been around long time with many white papers to prove its lasting power. Bring on facts d.a.d. and I show how stupid you are.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
I saw that pic that Vin posted. Where in the world did you get that? Looked liked some blue security cams to me. If you only can use a 34" or a little larger TV, you might just want to stick with a direct view CRT. Those shouldn't be too heavy for you. If you chuck the ET center, well then, you'll have more options. Yes, I love my Sony but, as I always say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What looks good to me may not look good to you. I've worked in broadcast TV for 30 years and still do. I think I know what things are suppose to look like. I think I know what brand makes quality items. I will only let you know what you could be looking at but you need to look at them yourself. Remember, in the stores, the TV's are not set up by a pro so play with the settings if you can. Take your camcorder or DVD player in and play your own stuff on them. Your mate and you are the only ones that need to be satisfied. There are pros and cons to all the TV/monitors out there so do a little more research on the Internet and take your time looking. I bought a Samsung DLP from Best Buy first. 30 day return policy. I wasn't 100% happy so it wnet back. Circuit City has 30 days too so I bought the Sony there. Take advantage of that. It may take a couple months but get one home and play with it. Make sure you're happy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 793
Joe, thanks for your kind comments. Whatever school Chaz attended clearly left one child behind. Whatever college accepted him must be desperate for students.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
I think maybe this is simply a case of poor eyesight. For instance, some ppl can see the dreaded 'rainbow effect' on DLP screens, some ppl can't. The rainbow IS always there, however, most ppl cannot see it, so they think it doesn't exist.

I was at a Circuit City, once, shopping for a big screen TV. They were playing a demo video of waves crashing on a beach. The salesman said, "Look at the waves on this Mitsubishi. Have you ever seen whiter whites? Now turn around and look at those (CRT) TVs on the back wall. The waves look 'blue' don't they?"

He was right! Bugs the hell out of me...

Unfortunately, I can't un-know what I know, and I KNOW CRTs have a 'blue' tint. At least I can see the difference. BTW, I can't stand DLPs either. Sometimes having good eyesight isn't a blessing, it's a curse...

Maybe it's YOUR eyes. You old pharts wear corrective lens, e.g. glasses, by any chance? If so, you have a distorted view of the world...

Silver Member

Post Number: 802
Vin, I'm not going to quibble with you on the issue of eyesight. We all realize that in your warped view, you are perfect in every. Some CRTs do exhibit blue, red or green tinting, especially when viewed in places like Circuit City where they are usually displayed at the factory setting in which contrast, brightness, color and tint are generally exaggerated. The real test is what the set looks like after it is properly calibrated. After doing so, if you look at the gray scale available on DVDs like Digital Video Essentials and you see a tint, all pictures will indeed, have that tint. But as a general rule, I disagree that all CRTs have a blue tint. Mitsubishi and some Sonys, for example, tend to tint red. That's my "distorted view".

fx
Unregistered guest
"The rainbow IS always there, however, most ppl cannot see it, so they think it doesn't exist. "

More words of wisdom for the Vin. Do you see aliens too Vin? How about air molecules? If you see pink elephants after an all-nighter does that mean they exist?

For those that see DLP rainbows they are indeed distracting, for those that don't they simply do not exist. After all Vin it is your brain (well probably not your brain since we can find no evidence of that organ existing in your body) in conjunction with the optic nerve (nerve you have in abundance Vin) that creates the rainbow effect.

If this is too complex for you Vin call a shrink.

"Unfortunately, I can't un-know what I know, and I KNOW CRTs have a 'blue' tint. "

Perhaps when vieved under bright fluorescent lighting from a distance of 30 yards they might have a blue tint. In your home under normal viewing conditions and for a normal viewing distance you will see a normal representation particularly after calibration as Dale suggested.

"Unfortunately, I can't un-know what I know,..."

My dear warped Vin, you don't know half of what you think you know. Please stick to ones and zeros and let other people answer questions correctly without inserting your biased and unfounded opinions.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 27
Here's another article that believes CRT TVs are still better than LCD or DLP: CRT Televisions are Still the Best. Looks like it's about 8 to 1 so far Vin.

Bronze Member
Username: Rf186

Post Number: 12
Make that 9 to 1, the new tv technologies are great for large screens, but who ever thought this would ever be up for debate? CRTs have the best qualty picture hands down and i've never (until now) ever heard anything remotely to the contrary.

Richie B.
Unregistered guest
After 3 months of investigation, I have moved away from DLP to Sony Rear Projection LCD. I find these posts particularly interesting since I struggle with moving away from my Sony CRT as well. Reuben, well done. Straight to the point, as I will now try to be. Sony KDFE55A20 vs. Sony KDFE50A10. Other than the obviouse size, form factor and I/O differences, any opinions regarding the black levels and optimal viewing distances comparatively speaking?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us