Burn In Worries

Username: Baud2death

Post Number: 1
I'm calling out to all you experienced home theater guru's!!

I have just bought a beautiful 43' rear projection tv on order (just £650 but thats another story!) and I am worrying about the burn in problem.

I am not going to be playing games on it (thats gonna be on my old 28inch), I dont intend to use teletext much or at all...

The worry I have comes with the static image that most sky tv channels come with in the top left/right corner of the tv.

Is there a time on how long burn in takes to occur, and is it simply a case of switching the image over to something else, and switching back before it happens to stop it?

Example: Burn in takes an hour
after 59 minutes, i switch to a different channel for a second and switch back, do i then get another 59 mins before it kicks in again??

Any input on this would be grateful

P.S. If burn in does occur, is it noticeable? and how much does it cost to repair?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I'm assuming this TV is a CRT rear projection? If so, then yes, burn-in is a concern.

As far as time limits before burn-in occurs, there are too many variables to be able to say. The intensity of the static image and the color plays a huge role. If the static image is very bright, then it will burn in faster then a darker image.

1 to 2 hours would likely be a good time to alternate channels. If you switched to a different channel, you would need to leave it there for at least 5-10 minutes for the phosphors on the screen to adjust.

When burn-in occurs, it's usually a faint image, and most of the time it's not extremely noticable. I have seen it before though on a computer monitor where it was so bad that the screen was difficult to view. This was on a monitor where a static image remained for sometimes days on end.

I have no idea on how much it would cost to repair burn-in. The phosphor screen would have to be replaced and I'm willing to bet it's not a cheap part. Probably more than what you paid for your TV.

Good luck!

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
Hey Rotundo,
I am a huge video game fan and have owned an analog, hd direct view crt, and a rear projection crt. I've played videogames for 8 or 9 hours on these tv's and have never experienced burn-in. I've left static images on these screens for 4 or 5 hours by mistake and never had burnin. Burnin is likely to occur only if you leave a bright image as fanatic said for an extremely long time (like a couple of days). I've only seen burnin on crt's that display static images for days upon days. The perception that it is easy to have burnin is a thing manufacturer put out there to cover there behinds. Trust me, if it was that easy to cause burnin, crt's wouldn't be popular. Most people aren't even aware of it because most people don't watch static images or the same channel for 24 hours straight. And even if they do, aside from the tv guide channels, most channels are aware of burnin usually remove their logos during commercials and such. You can safely watch the evening news with the banner and not worry about burnin. I've done many of these things so I'm speaking from experience and not making alot of this stuff up. Feel free to ask me any questions

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 318
good post ogbuehi.

Username: Baud2death

Post Number: 2
thanks a lot guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help