Please help me configure my samsung 5085w!!

Username: Justink1

Post Number: 1
I just got the samsung 5085w yesterday and for some reason the picture is just not what i thought it would be. It looks blurry and just a little bit off. The floor models i looked at were much clearer and more sharp. Can anyone help me fix this and does anyone have a good set of config. numbers that looks great for veiwing dvds, hdtv and regular digital cable. thank you

To Justin
Unregistered guest
Get rid of the (so called) digital cable.
That's generally most of the problem.
Sat signal is much better for standard def NTSC programming.

That said, what are your numbers now?
What cables and inputs are you using ?
Do you have a progressive scan 480P DVD player?
Are you using component RGB cables and (Pr, Pb, Y) inputs?

Post Number: 2
I am using monster thx1000 component video cables for the dvd player and i have the samsung htds1000 audio system which came with a dvd player. i havent even tried to adjust my numbers yet, so they are at the standard values. i am going to swith to hdmi for dvd and component for the hdtv as of now, thank you for your response so fast.

To Justin
Unregistered guest
Samsung DLP's are running hot color out of the box.

I run a "Normal" color tone.
Contrast at 90.
Brightness at 45, higher for brightly lit room.
Color level between 40 to 43. Just don't overdrive it.
Sharpness way down to 20-25.
My tint is greyed out. (disabled) Using component cables does that to several features.
In "Setup" and "Color Weakness" I have the green on 3.

This may help and it may not!
If you still think it's out of whack, call 1-800 SAMSUNG.
An authorized tech will access the service menu, which has several more non-user adjustments.

It's not cables or inputs! You're fine there!

If you don't see a big improvement, especially on a digital network off-air or HD, better think about swapping it out.

Post Number: 3
thank you i swithc to hdmi for dcd and component foe the digital cable and tried your numbers and the picture now looks great. very clear. HD cable is great and dvds are beautiful. My standard cable isnt the greatest and the black bars down the side of the screen i could do without, are there any other tips you gave for improving those?

Thank you, now i dont need to call samsung.

FYI To Justin
Unregistered guest
Well...asside frpm getting a Direct TV HD/Terrestrial digital receiver, I don't have any suggestions on standard cable reception.

Are you getting the digital network channels?
If not, your missing out on the free HD programming during primetime. You should have two network channels for each of the majors, Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, etc. The first channel is regular VHS and the second should have a "-1" designation and it's digital, which is twice the lines of resolution. Most of the time it still has black bars, but during some primetime shows and sporting events the screen will be filled. If your cable company isn't offering digital networks you need to dump them.

I got used to the black bars on old NTSC 4:3 programming after a week or so. I just didn't like what the Zoom and Panoramic features did to the picture.
I guess your cable converter is already set up to pass through the 720P and 1080I signals for processing by the set. If not, it has a menu for doing that.

If you haven't done it yet, go into the DVD player's menu and set it to output 16:9 and 480P signal. Hope you have a progressive scan player. If not, I like the Samsung HD841 upscaling model.
I got mine from TigerDirect. It's a like-new refurb costing $199 normally, but I got it for $69 with a warranty and get this, it had a DVI cable in the box! Unbelievable! Here's a link if your interested.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=12939 31&Sku=L420-5032&SRCCODE=PRICEGRABBER&CMP=OTC-PRICEGRABBER
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us