DVD player w/ no Sound...

This Toshiba SE-R0047 is 1 year old and recently went into whisper mode. All cables/wires are attached and it's been playing/sounding fine up until recently. I have a 3 year old that I think may have pushed some combo of buttons on the remote (TV and DVD are out of reach). I've tried everything to get the sound back, but it's only at a whisper when the volume is all the way up (kind of like when the mute is on and you have the volume really high). Hope this makes sense...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Christina :o)

LOL....just gave the model # for the remote...I have a Toshiba SD-1700
Christina :o)

Anonymous
In had exacly the same fault on my toshiba sd 110e suspect capacitors 927 928 or in my case capacitor 929 (gone s/c ) I fitted a new elecrolytic capacitor ( 100 uF 25v ) 30 Pence in a local store ,and it is now as new.

I had the exact same thing just happen with my toshiba SE-R0047...not sure what a capacitor is?? help!

I just ran into the same problem with a Toshiba SD-2700. Hooked it up to a new Panasonic TV and it was working fine, but then when I programmed the Panasonic universal remote for the DVD, the sound was lost. Now I can't get it back. Any suggestions?

bighap
I just picked up a Toshiba SD-K600 for $3 at Goodwill. I had no readout on the dvd player's screen. It was just black. It also had no sound when I hooked it up with the red and white audio cables, but I had sound when I used the digital audio cable. I needed to use the read and white audio cables though. Since it was only $3 I decided to open it up and take a look inside around where the audio cables plug in while playing a dvd so I would know immediately if I got the sound back. It looked ok. I started beating the living hell out of the inside right around where the cable connections are with a screwdriver. After about 20 blows and bending about 10 capacitors, not only did my sound start working again, but the display screen on the dvd player now works. I was so excited! Works like brand new.

Kevin Curley
I have the exact same problem with the sd k600, but i tried messing around with the capacitors and nothing happened. Does anyone have any specific advice?

bighap
Beat the hell out of it like I did.

installguy
sounds like bad solder joints. look on the back of the circit board to find a solder joint that has broken off the board. heat it up again with an iron, add a little solder to the connetion. this may be caused by the player geting too hot. or just a defect on the board.

Reinhart
DO NOT BEAT UP THE PLAYER.

DO NOT BEND THE CAPACITORS.

DO NOT SUSPECT THE REMOTE CONTROL.

The problem is primarily isolated to three 16 volt/100 microfarad polarized electrolytic capacitors, labeled as C927, C928, and C929 on the mainboard. These caps are located on the upper left hand corner within the vicinity of the A/V outputs.

Replace the indicated capacitors with those having a rating of 35 volt/100 microfarad, polarized.

OBSERVE CORRECT POLARITY WHEN INSTALLING THE CAPACITORS! If the caps are installed backwards, they may fail violently.

A 30 watt soldering iron with a fine tip, desoldering braid, and high quality rosin core solder will be needed. Good soldering skills are a must when applying this fix as the board is multi-layer and can easily be damaged by poor soldering skills.

If you are unsure how to carry out this repair, print out these directions and give them, along with your player, to an experienced repair man.

Beating up the player may only cause more damage to the player.

Bending the caps will not typically repair the problem. But if bending does "fix" it, you must still replace it. Bending the cap to "fix" the problem suggests that the capacitor may be defective internally. ALL the capacitors taken out of these players that were bad were either shorted, lost too much of its value to work properly, had high ESR, or read as being totally open.

Pressing the wrong combination of buttons on the remote **WILL NOT** cause the problem.

I have fixed Toshiba DVD players with the no sound/no display problems with this same procedure over and again. As a matter of fact, I bought a Toshiba SD-1700 used that had this problem for five U.S. dollars and fixed it using this repair procedure. None of the players I've fixed has ever developed this problem again, so obviously this advice comes from consistent experience. - Reinhart

Jesse
Works great, almost, replaced all three caps with 35V 100uf and the sound and front diaplay are back, image still froze 2-3 times during a regular length movie. Reinhart, I noticed there are other 100uf 16V caps on the same board, have you found that replacing those improves other failures?
Thanks,
Jesse

I have a Panasonic dvd cv-51 and out of nowhere it won't allow the tray to slide in and out and is now making a horrible noise. Please help! Can't survive Thanksgiving w/o dvd player!!!

Thanks!

Dave Jackson
I have had C927,C928,C929 caps replaced on my Toshiba 110E which had no sound, it now works a treat

Patrick
REplaceing the capacitors works, i just fixed my uncles dvd player by doing this.

Reinhart
"Works great, almost, replaced all three caps with 35V 100uf and the sound and front diaplay are back, image still froze 2-3 times during a regular length movie. Reinhart, I noticed there are other 100uf 16V caps on the same board, have you found that replacing those improves other failures?
Thanks,
Jesse "

Sorry for not checking back.

It's certainly possible, especially caps that are branded as SMG.

But, does this problem occur only with some discs or all? It could be an indication that the drive may need a cleaning. - Reinhart

Reinhart
"I have a Panasonic dvd cv-51 and out of nowhere it won't allow the tray to slide in and out and is now making a horrible noise. Please help! Can't survive Thanksgiving w/o dvd player!!!

Thanks! "

Sorry for the late response.

This is a 5 disc carousel changer model. Did you ever move the player around with discs still loaded inside of it? If so, it might be possible that a loose disc could have dislodged and caused a mechanical jam.

What does it do specifically? - Reinhart

Anonymous
I had exacly the same fault on my toshiba sd 1300 suspect capacitors 927 928 & 929. Fitted new elecrolytic capacitors ( 100 uF 25v ), now as new.

Had the same problem on Tosh SD-110e. No sound. Found Cap 928 Dead short. Replaced all 3 as a matter of course. Works perfectly now and all it cost was 18 pence for the bits.
Thanks Reinhart for your input.
By the way if anybody has problems with missing channels on their sky digi-box then the procedure is almost the same but it requires to change up to 8 caps.

Username: Getoutofhere

Post Number: 1
Reinhart, you are a genius, I just replaced those 3 capacitors, and the unit works again!

how'dyou know that was the problem? do you work for toshiba ?

Thanks again.

Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any idea how to correct what appears to be a tracking problem on my Hibachi DVD player. It tries to read the DVD three times and fails. The display claims I have a disk error but I have tried several discs. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Since several weeks ago, my Toshiba SD-2715 DVD player has started to
perform unnormally. After changing a disc, it took too long (sometimes
over a minute) to read the disc. If I pull off the power and replug it
in, the problem is fixed. However, it was getting worse and worse, and
finally it started to eject the disc out with a 'disc error' message.

Because this happened kind of randomly, I thought that this might be
caused by poor connection of moving part related cables. I openned the
box, disparted the boards/parts, and checked and reconnected all
cables. However, the problem was not fixed. Instead, it became stable
on ejecting the disc out with a 'disc error' message (never read any
disc).

I am pretty sure that I didn't damage anything. But what is possible
problem? Any help and suggestions are surely be appreciated very much.
Thanks!

ZL

zack_1i@yahoo.com

cimarron
Unregistered guest
How difficult is it exactly to replace capacitors? I've never done it before and can't say I've ever done any soldering. I don't consider myself a total technological claude (I've popped open my computer on occassion to replace hardware), but if it's a real risk to my DVD player (even if it's just a Toshiba SD1700), I'd rather not touch it.

Where do you normally purchase capacitors? Can you just pick them up at Radio Shack?

TH
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. Will try this tonight.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE SD-K600 THAT WORKED PERFECT FOR TWO MONTH'S UNTIL A POWER SURGE LEFT IT WITH NO POWER
FUSE WAS BLOWN AND KEEP'S BLOWING. WHAT CAN THESE SYMTOMS POINT TO...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us