Best HDTV Technology/Display for High Ambient Light

CC Miller
Unregistered guest
Spec'ing a big screen HDTV for the family room as a "daily driver" set, so any input on either the best technology (CRT, DLP, Plasma, LCoS, LCD, etc.) or the best models would be greatly appreciated. The room has a wall of windows, so need plenty of contrast and low screen face reflectivity.

Anonymous

Your best bet is to use non-projection type TV such as Plasma and LCD (panel not projection).

Wade66
Unregistered guest
Sony XBR 60" lcd projection is great for me. My room is pretty small and has a ton of sunlight, but the screen doesnt glare and the picture is perfect on no matter what you're viewing. It is less than half price of a plasma its size. Good luck!

Randy
Unregistered guest
Plasma would not be the way to go. I just hooked up a Sony 42" Wega LCD rear projection, the room has a ton of windows and the TV shows no glare at all.

Anonymous

Of course, everyone thinks he/she has the best system for every situation. Let's look at this objectively, only Plasma and LCD panels provide direct light source for viewing, all projection type (DLP, LCD RP included) use reflective surfaces. Although LCD projections are cheaper and may have other advantages (e.g., burn-in) over plasma, plasma and LCD panels are brighter and have higher contrast ratio with minimal glare. Ever wonder why Plasmas and LCD panels have a wide viewing angle? It is because you are looking at the light source, not a reflection.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 319
True enough. Certainly a CRT screen (such as a Sony 34" HDTV) would be excellent in a bright room--or as excellent as any viewing can be in a bright room. Next would probably be a plasma screen--some of them can be incredibly bright. Of course, the brighter you play them the shorter the life of the plasma screen. Then a direct view LCD screen.

A rear projection LCD or DLP (or LCoS) will definitely not be as bright as any of the above. Some can be alright in a bright room if you are sitting directly in front of them, but the clarity in a bright room will rapidly decline as you or your guests are off-center. The older technology rear projection CRT's can likely produce a brighter picture currently than the other rear projection sets.

Of course, if you are able to have blinds and drapes you can remedy much of the problem and give yourself a wider choice.

Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 7
my rp lcd has a wide viewing angle. pt60lc13, i'm
in love.

Anonymous

My room is surrounded by windows. I have a new LCD RP 50v500. I have much less reflection than I did with my old tube TV. I agree that Plasma maybe best for high light, but for half the price, I'm happy with my choice.

I believe that Samsung DLP would be a good choice also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us