Help Me configure my new Samsung 5674 please

Username: Mycotopian

Aliso Viejo, California USA

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Samsung 5674 from costco for $2699. After getting it home I realized the coloring seemed to be almost cartoony. I ordered the Avia configuration DVD and ran through the basic tuning at the end of the disc but its still not right and coloring is off just in a different way.

I was hoping somebody here that has the same set has gotten it professionally configured and could post their basic settings for me.

brightness color contrast tint etc. Thanks guys

FYI
Unregistered guest
Samsung DLP's are running hot color out of the box.

I run a "Normal" color tone.
Contrast at 90.
Brightness at 45, higher for brightly lit room.
Color level between 40 to 43. Just don't overdrive it.
Sharpness way down to 20-25.
My tint is greyed out. (disabled) Using component cables does that to several features.
In "Setup" and "Color Weakness" I have the green on 3.

This may help and it may not!
If you still think it's out of whack, call 1-800 SAMSUNG.
An authorized tech will access the service menu, which has several more non-user adjustments.

Bronze Member
Username: 5thwheeler

Torrance, CA United States

Post Number: 16
I run my color tone on warm-1 and the contrast at 100. Contrasting seems to work backward as compared to CRT TV's and needs to be wide open to see a amount of detail in the dark areas, especially while viewing SD programs. Sharpness doesn't seem to make any difference like it does with CRT TV's.

Turn down your color and the cartoon appearance should disappear or be greatly reduced on true HD programs. Not all programs are true HD even thought they say they are and you will know true HD when you see it. Our local PBS (off the air) stations have spectacular HD programing as does Discovery HD Theater and HBO HD.

I set the Directv H10 receiver resolution to "ALL" and "Native" and let the H10 and the 5674 do their thing.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 15
Ryan:
You will probably find that you will need to use the Standard, Dynamic, and Cinema modes for different programming material. They will all need to be tweaked though. You can buy a calibration disk, a couple are mentioned throughout these threads. You can use the THX setup on Dvds like Star Wars Episode 2, or just set the color so that it looks right to you. I find that I have standard set up for HD programming with thew color backed way off to about 42 and brightness increased a bit so thatdetail in darker scenes is evident. Dynamic is used for Analog cable, again with the color backed off. Cinema is used for DVD and most digital cable stations. I also have DNIE and digital noise reduction off. This seems to help picture sync, and also seemed to be causing some rather nasty picture "quivering" on 1080i programs. If in doubt, get your set professionally calibrated. CNET says it is worth the cost!

Bronze Member
Username: 5thwheeler

Torrance, CA United States

Post Number: 17
My settings are almost identical to those used by Klaus. To me DNIE and digital noise reduction are useless. My DNIE image looks similiar to what I get when I use to much sharpening in Photoshop, and the signal strength from Directv and OTA are more then sufficient to not warrant using digital noise reduction.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your setting, you can always reset your tv to the crummy factory settings.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us