Buying HD-Ready Monitor Help please?

Username: Xplode

Post Number: 1
Alright, im buying a really nice 26 inch widescreen samsung, and im also getting digital cable.. now i know its not "HD" but on some stations, for example a show i watch "CSI" Is simulcast in HDTV. in order for me to watch shows that are broadcasted in HDTV can somone tell me exactly what i need.. I know il need a set top box, but i dont have any real local HD stations so im not getting an antenna or anything.. just wondering how i go about hooking it up and getting the picture quality from like CSI or other cable broadcasted shows that are in HD will work in perfect HD quality on my TV il be buying saturday.. thanks guys alot!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 682
"a really nice 26 inch widescreen samsung" Maybe an oxymoron here. Might want to consider another manufacturer. But if you don't...if your tv is not HDTV capable, you can not receive HDTV broadcasts. Well let me rephrase-you can receive the programs, but not in HD. If your tv is HD capable, you'll need HD receiver and programming. If it has a built in HDTV tuner, you can stick up an antenna and if you are in the service area, receive local HD programming if any is available.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
DC, are you sure the TV you're talking about does not have a built-in ASTC (hd) tuner? I know Samsung mades a 26" WS with the hd tuner and even stores like Target carry it. It is a nice TV for the price. FYI, Walmart has a 28" WS Sanyo with a built-in HD tuner for around $550. They used to have a 30"WS HDTV.

Anyway, to answer your question. You are absolutely correct about digital cable. It is not the same as HDTV. In your case about 'CSI', it is simulcasted in HD and SD. If you only have a HD-ready TV and you don't have a separate HD-tuner box, you need to subscribe to your cable co.'s HD service to get the HD version. Depends on your local cable company's contract with your local TV stations, you may not have all of your local OTA HD stations thru your cable co. So, it may be wise to get a ture HDTV. If you live in certain area, you may get by with just an indoor antenna to get all of your local OTA HD programs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 685
"It is a nice TV for the price." Read the threads and you'll find that Samsung has an awful problem with reliability. Your money.

fx
Unregistered guest
I'd like to add to what HD Guy said. Most cable companies send their network HD signals "in the clear". This means that if your display has an internal QAM tuner you will not need the cable box to decode the non premium HD signals that are not scrambled.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
well, it is a HDTV-Ready monitor, nope sadly its not built in, the picture is absolutely beautiful on it.. waht im saying is can i just buy ANY old receiver, and it will convert any Simulcast shows into HD rite? via the digital cable?

Post Number: 3
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=TXN2668WHFXXAA that i believe is the identical one im gonna buy at the store..

Input connections 2 sets 1080i/480p/480i(Y/Pb/Pr)
S-Video Input 1 Side
1 rear A/V Fixed monitor output
Side A/V input
3 rear A/V composite inputs
Stereo headphone jack on side
RF input rear

I noticed that it doesnt have 720p.. is that a huge thing? well il let you guys add your insight into what i should look for.. thanks again

Post Number: 6
Will the digital Cable box be all il need to view programs that are simulcast in HDTV? or do i need to connect the digital cable box to a receiver? im confused as heck.. hope somone gets on soon to maybe answer a few things for me

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
I guess I couldn't convince you to getting a HDTV instead. With a HD-ready TV, you'll need a HD programming source which usually comes via a HD receiver set-top box.

Post Number: 7
well, i might see how much more one is with a built in, if its not that much more il definately get it...

Post Number: 8
i just wanted to know because i can get a Samsung receiver for 50 bux from a friend hwo doesnt need it nemore, its a direct TV one but that doesnt matter cus it can be used for over the air, but all id need to do is hook the digital cable box to the receiver and call it a day rite?

fx
Unregistered guest
but all id need to do is hook the digital cable box to the receiver and call it a day rite?

Wrong! You will need an external antenna to get HD OTA using that receiver. It probably will not work connecting it to your digital cable. I cannot say for certain because I do not know which DTV receiver it is or if it has an internal QAM tuner. Dale may be able to help you with this portion of the question.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
Man your questions are really hard to understand. After reading your last post again why do you need a receiver if you have a cable box from your cable company? I am soooo confused!! :-)

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 9
well, I just want to know what i need, BESIDES THE HD-Monitor to watch CSI which is simulcast in HDTV.. TO BE IN ACTUAL HD ON MY SCREEN instead of the analog version.. Do i need what and where? just a HDTV antenna? a receiver? im new to this that is why im confusing lol

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
OK, let's go back to the basic. This is the sequence of event required for you to watch programs like CSI in HD in your tv and remember every step has to be "HD" (you are as strong as your weakest link): programming material (e.g., network OTA or HBO-HD) - receiver (e.g., built-in tuner, satellite/cable box/card or standalone tuner) - connecting cable (DVI or component) - TV. If anyone of these is not "HD", you don't see HD.

Your option (if you don't want HD cable service) is to get a HD tuner. Check this site for suggestions: http://google1-cnet.com.com/4007-6487_9-0.html?subj=hdtv_tuner&part=google1-cnet &tag=102944750

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
I agree with fx that the DTV box most likely would not work for you. Have you try it out with the friend who is selling it? If it works there, you have to make sure you have the same set up at your place.

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
Guys, let me know when you figure this one out. I give up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i bought a Samsung 26" with a built in QAM, ATSC tuner.. thanks for the help but monitors are just a pain in the a** and i went HDTV instead lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us