ProgScan without 3:2 pulldown

Unregistered guest
There are Progressive Scan DVD players without 3:2 pulldown processing.

How will be the video quality of such players (in prog mode) when playing film-based material?

Does a "ProgScan without 3:2 pulldown" give better video quality than interlaced video?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 320
yes it will invariably give better video quality on film-based material.

Anonymous

How can that be? The 2 things are not related. One has to do with the lines of display and the other with the matching frame rate between film and video.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 321
oops, I read that wrong. Sorry!
I was reading progressive scan WITH 3:2 pulldown. You are right, but matching frame rate with film and video still has something to do with display, though.

here is a better read

http://www.hometheaterpeople.com/advanced/pulldown.asp

Anonymous

Players "with" 3:2 pulldown will make the picture more "stable" and you can call it better quality. I was confused when you mentioned that players "without" 3:2 pulldown somehow give better quality video.
Nowadays, many TVs have both PS and 3:2 pulldown built-in so in theory one does not need these features in the DVD player.

Shahrouz
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous,
As far as I know, I learned that ProgScan in DVD is usually better than TV. Following is a Quote from link referred to by Beny:

======================
Short and sweet, get a progressive scan DVD player with good 3:2 pulldown detection, and use your projector's component input. This combination will give you the best picture for the lowest price. There are projectors that offer 3:2 pulldown detection out there, and there will be more coming soon. However, the cheapest way to get the best is to buy it in your progressive scan DVD player.
======================

Beny, Nice link, Thank You!

Anonymous

It is probably true that the cheapest way to achieve PS and 3:2 pulldown is through the DVD player since players with these features are selling way below $100. However, all the decent TV that I have seen have these feature also. I was saying there could be a redundency. Besides, it is hard to say which, DVD or TV, has better quality.

Your original question was on a DVD player with PS but no 3:2 pulldown. I doubt that such player is of high quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us