Is Pan E85H made for Flat Screen TVs?

Bronze Member
Username: R1t1joby

Post Number: 27
Hi, I just bought a Flat Screen TV but it appears that the Panasonic E85H is made to view on the curved screens. When I have the Navigator Menu onscreen the display screen is slightly shaped like an hour glass.

I take it that means the machine was made to view on curved TVs where the lines going up and down appears to be straight.

On a flat TV screen, the line on the left of Navigator curves inward as it reaches the middle of the screen. Same thing with the line on the right.

Is there any way to set the machine for to view on a Flat Screen or we just have to live with curved viewing?

Does anyone else with Flat TV screens notice this as well?

Bronze Member
Username: Tlstrieg

Post Number: 29
For what it's worth, I have a Sony 42" Projection TV with a flat screen, and I've not noticed this hourglass effect you're mentioning. However, I don't know if a projection TV can be compared to other types of flat screen TVs.

Tom

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1053
Your TV has poor geometrics is all.

Bronze Member
Username: R1t1joby

Post Number: 29
~ Your TV has poor geometrics is all. ~

Are you sure that is the case?

Because this is the way I figure it:

Up until recently TV's were always made with what is termed the curved fishbowl type glass. So it would make sense that networks ratio TV shows accordingly.

The last few years, TV's started producing TVs that were flat glass to take off the glare the curved TVs create. Where does that put networks? Are they suppose to all of a sudden change all their ratio aspects from curved TV's to Flat Screen TV's. Then where would that leave the other's who have had curved TVs for years.

Most comments I've read on the net have been the same comment, "Give a week, your eyes will get used to it."

That may be true on TV shows because the slight curve is not noticeable on moving action. It is only noticeable when you have a standstill box onscreen like on Panasonic's DMR E85H Navigator.

So meanwhile where is the change from the curve to flat ratio "geometric" suppose to change? With the network---or with the TV.

According to your answer it is with the TV.

If that is the case, then what happens when the networks finally makes the decision to change the ratio of their airings to fit Flat Screen TVs? Then all the current Flat Screen TVs with the geometric ratio that adjusts the curved fishbowl effect to flat screen will be screwed.

fx
Unregistered guest
RT,

The networks do not change the signal, it is and always has been transmitted the same. You are trying to apply a concept that does not exist. You are thinking of the signal in three dimensional terms when it is only two dimensional.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us