Still some concerns on burn-in

Username: Pookieguy

Post Number: 1
Well,
I've got a new Samsung ED 42" Plasma display and like it. However, I've been reading so much about regarding burn-in that I guess I'm getting a bit paranoid. The problem I find people talking about it in both extremes. Some say it isn't an issue at all with newer sets, and others say it is.

I don't watch TV much to begin with and primarily use the set for DVD movies. However, I do plan on watching SOME TV in 4:3. The problem is that people state that burn-in will occur because of the static black lines on each side. Heck, even the manual says to try not to watch TV in 4:3.

I'm too confused. Should I be worried enough to actually return the set? Or should I not worry at all about it?

Just looking for peace of mind I guess.

I'm in an apartment and don't have a massive living room so I opted for a plasma to get the largest possible picture. LCD TV's larger than 32" are just too damn expensive I don't think they are worth it.

I know this has been discussed over and over but can someone share their opinions on this?

Thanks,

--
Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 50
DO NOT WORRY. Burn it occurs when pixels are left on for too long. If say, you were playing a video game, then the HUD would stay there. Playing that for 4 hours would leave some kind of an image. To prevent this, change the channel and leave it there for about 1 minute. This 'exercises' the pixels.

Also with 4:3 TV on a 16:9 screen, don't worry. I am lead to believe that the pixels are off then, and so cannot be burnt in.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Burn-in will not only occur with a station logo or news tickers, but closed caption aswell.

I bought a Philips 42PF9966/37 on April 28th., i haven't use it for more than 30-hours total, sometimes the unit is off up to 3-days in a row.

2-days ago i notice during the first 3-seconds after you turn in "on" some strange "shadow blocks", i got closer to check what it was and to my surprise it turns out to be closed caption "letter blocks" burn-in., although the text changes, the words and/or phrases do not move from the same position, they will always appears on the same area.

I was dissapointed and amazed, after all, the TV hasn't been continuosly use since April 28th, i only turn it on when i what to watch something on the living room.

But, i've learn to live with it., Burn-in is there and it cannot be remove., the good thing is you can't spot it because it's where the closed caption appears, the only time you can see it is if you pay close attention during all-White and dark Grays or Blacks segments. {channel surfing, input switching, etc.}

My advice is, if you haven't bought a plasma and want to avoid the risk of burn-in, get one that offers screen/pixel orbiting., that feature will reduce the chances of that problem.

P.S. forget playing video games on these things, not even for 2-hours {unless the unit got the screen orbiting feature.}, multimedia applications seem to be even worse than station logos.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us