Can only get 15 channels

Username: Cpg

Post Number: 1
I have an old Magnavox VCR. I haven't used it for a couple of years. It was in storage but now that I've hooked it up again, I can only get 15 channels. Everything above that, which is only a few more, is local stuff that you get without cable. My brother-in-law said something about the possibility that some broadcasting standard has changed since I stopped using the unit and now it won't work with the new standard. Has anyone every heard of that? Any other ideas as to what might be going on and how to fix it? I'm sure it's hooked up properly.

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 11
Alana:
Reading between the lines here I assume that:
1. You're using a no cable box hookup, and
2. The VCR isn't ancient--
You then need to access the VCR's on-screen setup menu, select "cable" then "channel scan" (or words to that effect) and wait for the VCR to scan the channels.

Username: Cpg

Post Number: 2
Thanks John. I tried that but no go. The weird thing is that it used to work fine.

Thanks anyway.

Anonymous

Alana,
Are you using the same cable service as you did before?
How many channels can you vcr dial go to?
Does your VCR have separate VHF and UHF input?
When you said "it used to work fine", how long ago was that? Through cable or antenna?
I assume you are sure that your cable service provides more than 15 channels.
Answers to these questions may help to identify your problem.

Anonymous

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. You might be in better shape than me though because I don't have the (apparently?) necessary original remote control.

I'll bet the auto channel scan is not accessed on-screen but on the remote. Look for a button on the remote that says "channel scan" or "channel search". Press it and it should start scanning channels. Leave it alone until it goes through its whole routine and it will stop on its own when its done.

Anyone have any advice for me (no remote with channel search button) short of finding an original remote or using a cable box? I thought my new u-remote might do the trick but its scan button functions only to surf channels, not set them.
TIA
Davey

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 557
If you have cable make sure it's set on cable in the menus, if antenna set to antenna. If your remote won't access menus, buy a One For All remote. They have the highest compatibility.

Anonymous

I had the same problem. I finally figured out that there was a small button labeled "CH MEMORY". This brings up a menu that will allow ANT to Cable switching, then you can set the channels. I'm not sure how you would change it without the original remote.

remote challenged
Unregistered guest
i am trying to program a Magnavox tv with a universal remote (the one with the tv,vcr,cbl, aux) buttons across the top. I have cable service going in to the tv without a cable box. I am only able to get 5 cable stations.

What is the procedure to program the tv to get all the cable channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 950
Go into the setup menus and under cable/antenna select cable.

remote challenged
Unregistered guest
thanks for the reply, but I am I not able to get any menus. the magnavox tv has a build in vcr. I have tried the following steps.
/ Turn ON your TV
2/ Press SET button for approximately 2 seconds.
3/ Press TV button
4/ Enter 4-digit code No. (several codes)
5/ Press SET button

also tried
/ Turn ON your TV
3/ Press TV button
4/ Enter 4-digit code No.
5/ Press SET button
I even tried the scan button on the remote.
I still only get 5 random numbers.
Perhaps I just need to attach a vcr.

remote challenged
Unregistered guest
thanks for the reply, but I am I not able to get any menus. the magnavox tv has a build in vcr. I have tried the following steps.
/ Turn ON your TV
3/ Press TV button
4/ Enter 4-digit code No. (several codes)
5/ Press SET button

also tried
/ Turn ON your TV
3/ Press TV button
4/ Enter 4-digit code No.
5/ Press SET button
I even tried the scan button on the remote.
I still only get 5 random numbers.
Perhaps I just need to attach a vcr.

Silver Member

Post Number: 952
If it's a Magnavox it's actually a Funai, try a Funai code. Some universal remotes don't have very good compatibility. Try a One For All, they are the best.

remote challenged
Unregistered guest
i have a rca universal remote also. I have tried their instructinos;
1. turn on tv
2.press and hold code search until light stays on, then release.
3. press tv button
4. press power repeatedly until tv turns off
5. press enter (repeat for vcr and cable)

The tv never turns off in step 4.

Oh well I guess i cant cable in my office while I am at work (ha ha). Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 953
You need to be using a code for a TV/VCR, VCR codes aren't the same as TV/VCRs.

remote challenged
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I will search the internet for those codes. I am so determined to resolve this issue, I havent done any work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us