Is an HDTV tuner a must have for the future?

Username: Tberte

Post Number: 1
If you plan to have this TV for years to come, is a Tuner good to buy now for 2006 when it rolls around?

Username: Jags

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 7
They are currently modifying the the hd tv's so they will have the ability to slide what looks like a pcmcia card with a coaxial connector directly into the tv the new panasonics should be one of the first to have this. i would recommend buying one with a built in over the air tuner unless you don't have cable or sat. if you use cable your best bet if you can hold out would be to wait till these new tv's come out they should start hitting the stores very soon.

Post Number: 3
I have dish network satellite.

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 8
Just get the Hd box through them and save yourself about 5 hundred bucks on the hd ready tv.

Post Number: 4
What are you talking about? Even if I get the HD box from them, I'm still going to need a digital TV, AKA an HDTV. My 3 year WEGA is not HD TV ready, so I can't just go get a HD box for it.

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 11
oh i am sorry i thought you were looking to buy an hd tv and wondering to buy one with it built it or not. So you want to know if the sat reciever you buy now will still be good in 2006? when they do the conversion?

Post Number: 5
I'm talking about the HD Tuner NOT HD Ready...

There is a difference...HD Tuner's are used for OTA HD signals while HD Ready can be used with a seperate device, such as the one we are discussing.

Bronze Member

Raleigh, Nc Us

Post Number: 12
yea i know what an hd tuner. The question is why you would want one if you don't have an hd tv. you aren't going to be able to upconvert so it would be a waste of money. and about this whole 2006 thing its not like january 1st 2006 every analog signal is going to be shut off and its all going to be hd the gov't hasn't even demanded that the stations do it they just "recommend" it and they haven't said how much of the programming is going to be in hd. and just to let you know they even pushed back the date that they were shooting for but i guess you already knew that. so the real question is why do you want a 300 dollar hd box that is only going to show analog signal?

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
i'd get an hd ready tv or hdmonitor they are sometimes called.

especially if you have dish or directv since they broadcast in digital signals.

Digital is one step above cable coax analog signals and I am very impressed with my 50v500 with digital signals.

Anonymous

I believe the FCC required every TV 34" or larger made in 2004 to have a HD tuner built-in. By 2006, it goes down to 27".

Unregistered guest
I'm having a problem. I have a Mitsubishi LCD TV (model LT-3020). Unfortunately, it's HDTV ready. Watching DVD's are outstanding but regular SAT tv is a disappointment. I'm thinking that an SAT HD tuner will resolve the problem so I've been comparing HDTV tuners to buy. Mitsubishi has a compatible HDTV tuner that goes with the tv (Mitsubishi hd-5000). Not trying to be cheap but I'm reluctant to pay $1700 for it. Other alternatives are the Sony SAT HD-300 or Zenith SAT hd-520. Both cost approximately $600. DirecTv is offering a special for $500 that includes an HDTV tuner (Samsung and DirecTV SAT dish) but I don't want to commit to a year subscription and the purchase of HDTV stations that I have no interest in. The Mitsubishi offers the most flexibility but it is a pretty large unit. Most importantly I'm looking for the best picture quality. Thanks!

Anonymous

Voom is advertising for HD programming with no contracts. It will provide all the equipment and installation. I have no relationship with it. In fact, I don't have Voom myself. Just FYI.

jonh m
Unregistered guest
I think a HD tuner will really only be necessary if you want to receive HD "Broadcast" signals with an antenna. If you plan on getting your HD signal via satellite or cable company I believe the sat box or cable box they give you will have an HD tuner built into it.

davidb
Unregistered guest
Jonh seems to assume that people with cable must have cable boxes. That isn't true: I've had cable for years but never a cable box. My TVs are all "cable-ready".

After 2006, will I continue to be able to avoid a cable box (with it's extra remote control and all those interconnections) by getting an HDTV with a "cable ready" HD tuner?

Anonymous

There are HDTVs (e.g., Panasonic PT-56TWD63)
with cable card slots to accept cable signal with the cable cards. You don't need a set top box and hence no extra remote.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us