Rear Projection Dilemma...

Username: Wyndigo

Victoria, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1
Greetings all...

I have a bit of a dilemma, and was hoping to find some sage advice amongst the experts.

I have a smallish space in which I can house a RP HDTV (max of about 45" wide, with preference being under 40" and about 36" Height, Depth is a non-issue... have over 24").

I want to pack that space with the best possible TV for doing most anything (Video Games, SD, HD, DVD).

I have looked into DLP, and LCD as they seem like the most likely options, with my focus being on Samsung and Toshiba thus far. I am a bit concerned about the loss of detail that many people are reporting with some (all?) of the DLP devices out there... Is there ANY hope of finding a DLP that won't fall to pieces in dark scenes? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Anonymous

hey waddup

i sugggest u go for lcd as it is a more proven technology and from comparision looks alot better than dlp.

if u want lcd i suggest u go wit a sony wega kf 42we655 or wait about a month for the new sony linup which will have superior black with its new iris shutter.

http://news.designtechnica.com/print_featured_article18.html

dlps are known for lags in g aming and i personally think lcd is the way to go.
they have unbelievable color and snt lag in video games.
if u really want a dlp go with a toshiba. samsung has many problems and use cheap parts and have more of a lag than the toshibas.

peace

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Anon is not qualified to comment or reccommend anything.
He is an ignorant, uneducated fool that stumbled on this forum to harrass and confuse.

Buy an expensive 720P display for HD and digital network broadcasts only, not gaming or Standard Def NTSC 4:3 viewing. DLP's start at 46" and go up from there. LCD's have slow scan rates and wider pixel spacing. That's not good for gaming or fast action scenes.

Buy a less expensive Hitachi CRT direct view 30" to 36" flat screen tv for gaming and SD. It's still the best, but in 2006 you will need a digital converter because the FCC will shut down all analog NTSC broadcasts and resell the spectrum.

Anonymous

"Anon is not qualified to comment or reccommend anything.
He is an ignorant, uneducated fool that stumbled on this forum to harrass and confuse."

is that all you say.

hey, maybe i dnt know as much as you do, but im only givving my opinion.

im not one of those fools like you who has no life and reads these forums all day!!!!

dgobye
Unregistered guest
actually dlps start at 44"!!!!!
haha, he reads these all day and he still dnt know what size dlp starts at!!

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 49
DLP4me contimues to be rude and very defensive regarding LCD technology. We all are entitled to our opinions but abusive posts such as above are borish and not very informative.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
dgobye,

Which model? I learn something new every day! Thanks!

Steve,

Facts are facts! LCD technology is improving, though.
3LCD looks fantastic this year. Brillian's 1080P is awesome. JVC is coming out with a fast scan version of their D-ILA. I'm encouraged, however, none of these are available today. Maybe soon, though.

If you find some of my posts to be abusive, fine!
As you said, "We all are entitled to our opinions" and some of mine are deservingly pointed.

Anon,

Your typing style is either very similar to an individual who started a slamming thread or you actually are the guilty guy. I saw enough similarities to discredit your comments.
I could be wrong.

dgobye
Unregistered guest
hey dlp4me, here is the model

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0 010052639&catid=11299

u arent all that smart.haha.

peace

DLP4me to dgobye
Unregistered guest
"I have a smallish space in which I can house a RP HDTV (max of about 45" wide, with preference being under 40" and about 36" Height, Depth is a non-issue... have over 24")."

The 115.5cm width of that Toshi is closer to 46" than 44". Actual dimentional space was the point of conversation, not display area.

I'm smarter than the average bear!

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
Finding a tv that fits sean's dimensions is gonna be tough. He gave sizes for the overall tv. That is gonna include speakers and bases for some tv's. That will definitely affect the screen size. I don't think we can really pick a tv by the screen size. If 46" or 44" size tv are as small as dlp's come in, then they won't fit any way because the overall size of the tv won't fit. It looks like that toshiba is just slightly too big (by .472").

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Adequate cooling is a concern.

Sounds like too confining a space for a decent size display.

I would abort the confines of the space and go big.

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 52
Aha! I, at last, agree with DLP4me! Why limit yourself to a small TV because of a predefined space? My living room is quite small but hell, I want BIG TV and in my living room, 50" is a very nice size (I sit about 8-9 feet from the TV).

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
I think sean may physically be limited to his dimensions. He took actual tape measurments and gave max dimensions. I think his best bet is to go with a large CRT. CRT's produce the deepest blacks anyway and that seems to be a major concern of his.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us