Solutions to Samsung DLP Picture Geometry?

Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1
I own a brand new Samsung HLP5685W DLP TV and was wondering if anyone has any experience or news regarding "pin cushion" effect with the picture geometry? I saw in a different thread that some people experience this, mostly in 4:3 mode, where the picture is drawn in at the sides, sort of resembling an hour glass. I am particularly sensative to this and can even see it in some instances in 16:9 mode. The Samsung service tech advised me the picture is not adjustable and that most projection televisions have this effect, and that unless it is severe it is usually let go. I guess I wouldnt consider it severe, but the distortion does measure just under 1/4 inch per side (top/bottom vs center). During the same visit, the tech pointed out the smudging on the screen said he would replace, and that the replacing of the screen may actually correct the concern. Unfortunately, it did not. He told me that the screens flex, especially being housed in a plastic frame, and that it is practically unavoidable. Anybody have any luck straightening out, or do I just live with it? Thanks.

Clint T.
Unregistered guest
I also just bought an HLP-5063W, and I am experiencing a "pinching" effect at the bottom of my screen. When watching something that is 4:3 or using the guide feature, it is most noticable. My picture seems to taper about 1/4" on each side over the last 2 - 3" of the screen.

Can I adjust this myself?

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
The "pincushion" effect is being worked on by Samsung engineers. It's a fairly common occurrance to a small degree and is a result of the screen not being tight against the backrest.
Call 1-800-SAMSUNG if it's grossly out of proportion.

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4
It definately is not adjustable. It has to do with the screen mounting, as DLP4me! was saying. The tech that came to my home demonstrated that it is the screen and not the actual signal, by pushing on different areas of the cabinet, and subsequentally making it either worse or better. The unfortunate thing is that if it is within a 1/4 inch per side, Samsung feels it is okay. But in the end, the picture is still distorted. I guess it depends on one's sensativity to it. When the tech put the grid on the screen in service mode, you can clearly see it the taper is not just at the edges, but runs entirely across the screen. I hope that they do address this eventually. I otherwise love this television!

Clint T.
Unregistered guest
Jason,

Have you played around with your picture settings in the menu? I was curious what you have your sharpness, contrast, DNIE, brightness set to? I have COX Hi-Def connected throught HDMI. I read something about changing the setting from "TV Wide" to "Expand" in order to see the best picture quality, but I can't find this setting. I can only find the Wide or 4:3 setting.

Also, are there any worthwhile changes that I could make in the service menu to improve my picture quality?

I am thrilled with the TV so far...great picture!

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6
Clint,
First I just want to say that I am by no means a pro with any of this stuff. My knowledge just comes from things I read and things I learn by playing around with it on my own. For television viewing, under picture, I just go with "standard" for now. I have not yet put in a high def box, and I dont even have digital cable yet, so my picture is fairly crappy! I go with DVDs more than TV at the moment, thus I am not super concerned with getting the digital/HD cable right away. When watching DVDs, I have the picture set to cinema mode, and from there, to be honest, I dialed the picture in by following the THX video setup screen that is found on any movie done in THX, and that seemed to work pretty well for me. As for the "expand" setting, I dont have anything like that either. There are the zoom settings, which expand the picture until fills the screen, but then you lose a little picture off the top and bottom of the screen. The last setting is Panorama, which I think sucks.

And finally, the service menu...the only thing I touched in there after the tech left was the service screens which show the alignment grids (I dont know what they are really called, but it is basically a pattern of horizontal and vertical lines used for what limited geometry settings can be made). Most every thing else in the service menu does not make much sense to me, and I am affraid to mess with it! I personally wouldnt touch it and would just stick with menus intended for the customer. Sorry Im not much help there, but Im just getting started in all this and trying to get acquainted, myself.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Clint:
Expand is not an available setting on HD broadcasts. You will only get wide (normal picture fills the screen) and 4:3 ( side bars, things look squished ). The expand setting is available only on SD broadcasts. If you have your cable box outputting 720P or 1080i there is a chance that you cannot get these settings at all since your TV is getting an upconverted pseudo HD signal from the box. If you have the option in your cable box select passthrough which will send all the picture formats to the TV and let it do the conversion. Then you will get the TV screen options that Samsung provides for each format (480i, 480P,720P, 1080i)

mayweb57
Unregistered guest
Can you adjust the picture size of 4:3 mode from the service menu? I have an HLP5685 and all of the sudden peoples heads look a tad tall in 4:3 mode.

DLP4ME
Unregistered guest
NOTHING A SONY WOULDN'T CURE.
ME AND MY LIFE PARTNER JUST LOVE OURS.
SAMMYS SUCK-I SENT MINE BACK AND GOT A SONY-NEVER LOOKED BACK.

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 8
Too bad, sometimes you ask an intelligent question and end up with a response that is useless, like your TV sucks and go get a Sony. In Samsung's defense, over the years I have owned various Sony products including Trinitron TVs, camcorders, even the walkman they introduced ages ago - every single Sony item I have ever owned was not only way over priced compared to the competition, but what far far inferior in everyway. TVs specifically, picture looks great, on the first tuner, the replacement tuner, and even the second replacement tuner. It continued to look good on the replacement picture tube, too! Sony products always look good, but they suck for reliability and cost effectiveness. And good luck with their customer service...they even charged for a lousy operating manual.

Bronze Member
Username: 5thwheeler

Torrance, CA United States

Post Number: 15
mayweb57 wrote: Can you adjust the picture size of 4:3 mode from the service menu? I have an HLP5685 and all of the sudden peoples heads look a tad tall in 4:3 mode."

I have the same problem and not as clear, but fortunately I still have my Tivo hooked to my 5674 Sammy and use S-video for my 4:3 SD viewing. The picture is a lot clearer compared to the S-video from the H10 and circles are round.

I've tried all the inputs from the H10 and none compare to the Tivo for SD 4:3 viewing.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 33
"NOTHING A SONY WOULDN'T CURE."

Nothing more than a overated status symbol!!

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 29
Videobruce:
Be aware that DLP4ME is a bogus poster. He has been excised from many posts. As I have said before:
DLP4ME is an imposter who has been printing bogus posts all through these threads. He is probably a school kid living with mommy, and the only Tv he watches is when they sit together after school to watch Opra!

I agree that the Sony sets have fallen woefully behind the lead in HD technology. They do offer a stunning 34 inch CRT but their offerings are overpriced and underfeatured. I am a Sony fan and expect they will eventually regain their place but at this time there are better options.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 38
Doesn't change what I said. Guys buy that brand for name recognition. I'm not out to impress, I don't have a BMW in the driveway and a Lexus in the garage. I like JVC, but I wouldn't choose anything on that alone. As far as the orginal issue, many Microdisplays have the same issue. It's a optic issue, probably because of the shorter light path.

Bronze Member

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 32
I really liked the JVC set but wasn't able to fit it in my entertainment center. The other companies could really sit back and take a cue from Samsung as to speaker placement on sets. Entertainment centers in general allow for vertical shelf variation, but few if any allow for horizontal expansion. I was able to fit a 46 inch Samsung DLP into the same space that I had a 42 inch plasma set. The 42 inch sony or Panasonic RP sets wouldn't even fit. I agree with the status symbol idea. I also equate Samsung quality and feature increase with the same seen in Hyundai autos. They are now in the same ranking as Toyota and Lexus.
Samsung has been very aggressive in the customer service area with their sets, and it seems to be paying off to the customers' benefit.

Unregistered guest
Hey everyone, MY FIRST POST!!!

Anyhow, i got a Sammy 46" DLP (love it) Model HLP 4663w, i got the Digital Video Essentials to help with the setup, however, when i use the filter to adjust the color, the Blue and Red look perfect, but the green is terrible, not even close to the example the DVE game me. The narrator says that i should change the color decoder or something like that in the service menu if the red or green is not right. Does anyone know how to fix that? I know how to get into the service menu, but i dont know where to look or what to adjust to fix the green level or the color decoder.

Is there a site i can go to that will give me an explaination of each menu option in the Service Menu screen?

Please Help me!!!!

Thanks in advance

Isaac Alcala

Bronze Member

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 75
If you go to the Samsung website there are links to order the service manual. If you are not comfortable with making changes that could drastically effect your set, you could look into professional calibration. Also are you using component cable input on your DVD player? If you use s-video or the composite connection the quality will be bad.

Username: Dragonglen

Post Number: 1
There also might be a pdf version of the manual online. I found a Sony manual from the Sony website, so I wonder if Samsung has something similar.

Klaus4ME!
Unregistered guest
I really liked the LCD set but wasn't able to fit it in my entertainment center. The other companies could really sit back and take a cue from SONY as to speaker placement on sets. Entertainment centers in general allow for vertical shelf variation, but few if any allow for horizontal expansion. I was able to fit a 46 inch SONY LCD into the same space that I had a 42 inch DLP set. The 42 inch DLP or Panasonic DLP sets wouldn't even fit. I agree with the status symbol idea. I also equate SONY quality and feature increase with the same seen in Hyundai autos. They are now in the same ranking as Toyota and Lexus.
SONY has been very aggressive in the customer service area with their sets, and it seems to be paying off to the customers' benefit.

To Klaus hi-jacker idiot!
Unregistered guest
"SONY has been very aggressive in the customer service area with their sets, and it seems to be paying off to the customers' benefit."

WHAT A COMEDIAN!!!

"I also equate SONY quality and feature increase with the same seen in Hyundai autos."

HILARIOUS!!! LOL

Anonymous-DLP4me!-Klaus hi-jacker
Unregistered guest
I'm so confused!
I'm that disturbed hi-jacker with the Xtra Stuck 60 pixels and the screen door up my a$$!
My Sony exploded and I got me a DLP.
It's wonderful!
Sony CS won't send a proctologist so I guess I'll be sifting sh!t for some time.

Anonymous

Boards gone to hell!

Pease...out!

Klaus4ME!
Unregistered guest
I really liked the LCD set but wasn't able to fit it in my entertainment center. The other companies could really sit back and take a cue from SONY as to speaker placement on sets. Entertainment centers in general allow for vertical shelf variation, but few if any allow for horizontal expansion. I was able to fit a 46 inch SONY LCD into the same space that I had a 42 inch DLP set. The 42 inch DLP or Panasonic DLP sets wouldn't even fit. I agree with the status symbol idea. I also equate SONY quality and feature increase with the same seen in Hyundai autos. They are now in the same ranking as Toyota and Lexus.
SONY has been very aggressive in the customer service area with their sets, and it seems to be paying off to the customers' benefit.

Klaus4ME!
Unregistered guest
I'm so confused!
I'm the disturbed hi-jacker with the Xtra Stuck 60 pixels and the screen door up my a$$!
My Sony exploded and I got me a DLP.
It's wonderful!
Sony CS won't send a proctologist so I guess I'll be sifting sh!t for some time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us