How do I optimize my TV for the best image?

Unregistered guest
Firstly forgive the ignorance, I'm a bit young in this dance and basicaly know didley. And I haven't had a chance to go through all these Topics and posts yet, so sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

I recently purchased a large screen TV that has something called CrystalScan HDSC (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p. Which is supposed to upconvert all video signals to 1080i HD. My question is what kind of DVD Player and Cables should I use to connect it to my TV to get the best possible picture out of it.

Right now I'm running a non-progressive Scan DVD player with Composite cables. The little research I've done so far seems to point in the direction of a Progressive Scan DVD Player with Component Cables. Am I off on this or is this the best way to go? And should I Change the TV to the 540p setting to further improve the picture? I know the 1080i and 540p seem to be a matter of preference and perhaps even the amount of motion in the source DVD you are watching (regarding the Motion Artifacts), but is there really an optimal way to set up up the darn thing?

Need Help from those in the know, and the folks here sure seem to know a lot more than me.

Vonster

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 254
best= dvi or hdmi dvd player if your tv has corresponding inputs
next best= component (three rca type)
anything else is not hi def.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Joseph.

Do DVI / HDMI DVD players play normal DVD's or only HD DVD's? And would an Upconverting DVD Player be a waste of time?

Vonster.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
There is no such thing as HD-DVD, at least not yet. There are DVD players that have DVI-out and would upconvert the 480P signal to 1080i. But that is not true HD. It sounds like your TV can do the same (most HDTV can). There are also claims that the up-convert in DVD players are better than TV's but I couldn't find any proof of that.
Vonster, the easiest way for you to "optimize" your picture is getting a good quality progressive scan DVD player. No need to get one with DVI-out, the higher price would not justify whatever you are supposed to gain. Use the component connections and set your TV to either 540P or 1080i for they look virtually the same by displaying 540 lines at a time.

Unregistered guest
The progressive scan DVD sounds more and more like a plan, at least until an actual HD DVD player comes along. Makes no sense plopping down good money for an "upconverting" DVD player when the HD Player, when it comes out will be (or at least should be) superior (and probably pricey too). This is even more so since I'm finding a lot of people saying that the upconversion may not actually do all that much, if anything. I think I can live with a progressive scan DVD with Component Cables for the time until a proper player comes along.

You guys have any recommendations on a P.S. DVD Player though?

And how do I get rid of the Motion Atifacts on the TV when watching DVD's? (if there is a way)

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Its really good to get advice from people who know this stuff from experience.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 262
vonster read reviews on dvd players with upconversion through dvi or hdmi cables before you make a decision. Although hdguy makes a point about the price, there are many dvd players that upconvert for less than 200 bucks. Always go with the best if you can.

Peas
Unregistered guest
I'd be very wary of listening to Joe. His advice has proven to be questionable in the past.

Peas

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 266
lets look at peas' advice over the past before making that judgement (why don't you register peas?)

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 268
my point made herehttps://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/136152.html

Peas
Unregistered guest
C'Mon Joe admit the truth. You are still upset because I told some one time poster there was no reason at all to manufacture an HDMI to DVI cable and then add some dangling RCA plugs for the audio transfer. I gave him sound advice to pickup a digital audio cable to go with his conversion cable.

As for your post above I would think it proves my point that your advice is tainted and biased. Too politically correct for your own good if you ask me Joe.

Peas

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 272
Peas
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:24 am:
"I have a cable box with an hdmi out and need to convert to dvi-d, can anyone recommend an hdmi to dvi cable that has a separate audio plug on the dvi side so that i do not lose the sound in the conversion?"

No, why would they make a cable like that? Just run a toslink or coax digital audio cable like everyone else.

Peas

when you treat people like they are idiots because they asked a question that you think everyone should know the answer to then yes I will go ahead a pass judgement on you for being caprice. As for your last comment, do you even understand what you typed???

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 194
"My question is what kind of DVD Player and Cables should I use to connect it to my TV to get the best possible picture out of it..."

Heh! Cool! A pissing contest!

I'm the smartest person on this site, and I make 6-figures a year, so...

What do I use? A Philips DVP642 via component cable.

Here's a link for you: http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/dvp642.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us