New to rear-projection - need advice

buddha
Unregistered guest
Howdy,

I'm planning on getting a big screen TV sometime in the next couple weeks. I want to use it for console gaming, directv HD, directtv standard, and DVDs. I'm thinking somewhere between 50 and 60 inch wide screen. The seats for watching will be somewhere between 9 and 13 feet or so from the TV.

I'm leaning towards LCD projection, DLP or the JVCs at bestbuy with the LCOS (sorry, can't remember the exact acronym).

Questions

1. Any advice for what would be best for my needs?

2. Any problems with dizziness, etc with gaming on big screens that I need to be concerned about? Would 60 inch be too big for gaming for that reason?

Thanks!

Username: Iggy

Orlando, FL United States

Post Number: 5
I'll tell 'ya.....I have a 61" Magnavox and we play X-Box and GameCube on it sometimes. You sit there long enough playing the right game and people start to get motion sick. I've been a boater all my life, rareley if ever get sea sick. But this will start my stomach turning.

I recall that for a 60" TV the viewer should be 12' back from the screen. That's about the distance from mine to the couch.

buddha
Unregistered guest
Wow, thanks Robert. That's good to know. Since I will use it quite a bit for gaming I wonder if I should go with a 50 inch...

Post Number: 8
50 or 60", doesn't matter.
What does matter is how much of you vision is taken up by the projected image. You sit close enough so that you entire vision is nothing by but the TV screen and you brain will be fooled by the moving image. A person gets motion sick from a confused sense of motion. Your eyes will see one thing but your ears feel something different.

buddha
Unregistered guest
Well, assuming the same seating distance (13', give or take a foot or so), wouldn't the 50" be less likely to give you motion sickness, since by definition it would take up less of your view?

Post Number: 9
True.
I din't believe I acould get the onset of motion sickness playing a video game either. But there I sat, 12" back, playing an X-Box space game for something like 2 hours. I suddenly realized my stomach was starting to feel queezy and my head was began to spin.
I suppose I had tunnel vision. I was so absorbed by the game and the image size I didn't realize how long I had been playing. My vision was totally taken by the game that I ignored everything around the screen. I know better now.

So, would a 50" be better than a 60"?
I doubt it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us