Dirt on inside of Samsung 63-series screen...

Willy L
Unregistered guest
Looks like the forum needs another Samsung 63-series thread!

I just got a Sammy 6163WX/XAA three weeks ago and it works fine. PQ is great with all the material that my DVD player and PC can throw at it.

It of course has the screen smudge/condensation/delamination issue - but after 30 minutes of use it goes away. I'm not willing to sacrifice PQ by going with the replacement single element screen - so I guess I'll just live with the problem.

However, just yesterday I noticed what appears to be a hair on the inside of the screen (the fresnel lens) and a speck of dirt. The speck is smaller than a pixel width, so I know its not a dead pixel on the DLP chip.

Any suggestions about cleaning the inside of the screen? Is this something I can do, or do I need to pay a tech to come out and do it? Given the horror stories on this board I'm not sure I'll get a competent tech here in Melbourne, Florida.

There are what appear to be two access ports on either side of the back housing which appear to provide access for this kind of operation. Am I right? If so, how do you remove the covers?

TIA for your help!!

BTW, *everyone* who's seen the set sees the rainbow effect when I use the THX setup procedure that comes with "The Incredibles"! All I have to do is go to the part where they show a white circle on a black background (to check aspect ratio) and have my guests look quickly from one side of the screen to the other... Everybody thus far sees the rainbow effect. Of course, in actual use its far more difficult to detect.

It seems that more than just a "few percent" can see the rainbow effect *if* the right material is shown!

Username: Iggy

Orlando, FL United States

Post Number: 6
Don't know how yours comes apart, but my magnavox is easy to remove the lenses.
Look for the front trim bordering the screen and see if it just pulls off. If so, then underneith you may see some clips that hold the screen in place. Remove the clips and the screen(s) should fall out in your hands.
To clean mine, I'll spread beach towlels over the dinning room table then lay the screens on top. Mine is a two piece screen. One has a circular lens on one side and a fine straight vertical (or horizontal) grain on the other. The front screen has a deep veritcal ribbing on the front and a fine vertical grain on the rear. I use a very mild detergent with lots of water to clean it. And I use terry cloth rags and towels. The terry cloth get down into the the fine crevices and such. Wash, rinse well and throughly dry it.
While they are out, clean the mirror and color gun lenses. To help keep dust build up to a minimum I applied Rain-X to the mirror. It works. I'll also vaccum out the dust and dirt from the insides of the projection area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us