KDF42WE655 lower fan noise

Username: Caca

Post Number: 1
I've had my 42 for about 2 months now. I previously had a 36 incher crt. I love the tv but since I gopt it- I can hear the fan making noise. I think the tv's sound is great- I usally don't need to turn the volume hogher than 5. It's good for me. Prob is- I can usually hear the fan when I have it 3-4. Is this common guys? If you mute your tv- do you hear the fan. It seems the fan is on all the time. I hear it. I havr the tv in a corner and thought maybe the corner is amplifying the noise but if I puit my ear on back of the tv- I still hear it the sameas if I was laying on the couch 12-15 feet away. It doesn;t bother me so much now but want to know if this ios normal-

thank you.

Username: Caca

Post Number: 2
Also- anyway to lower the fan from a setup menu or something?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 26
I have the KDF55WF655 and can only hear the fan won start up. I usually listen to the TV at very low volume and can't hear it at all. I would say it is unusual if you can hear it with the volume set at 3-4

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
The fan noise is normal. You will hear it all the time because it's on all the time (when the set is turned on). I have found that the fan noise varies from set to set. Sony likely buys these fans from a third party manufacturer and has little QC over them. Out of the three sony's I had in my home, all three of them had different fan loudnesses. None of them were bothersome even with the volume way down. One of the 55" sets I had was so quiet, I had to get right up to the set to hear it run. That one was a February 05 build. The other 2 I had were a bit louder and were older builds (October 04 and November 04). Maybe the newer sets have sound deadening material in them???

Being in a corner will amplify the noise. You might want to try fastening some foam to the wall behind the set. I have heard of other people doing this. Just make sure that the TV has adequate ventilation (4" from the back wall)

The only setting that might lower the fan noise is the power saving option. I am not sure if the 42"er has that feature or not though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us