Magnavox rear proj died.........

Username: Iggy

Orlando, FL United States

Post Number: 1
Last night our Magnavox projection TV, model RL8570AK08, lost all video. Audio is there but no picture. Pulled the rear panel off, turned it on and there seems to be no power to the color guns (did not check with meter). No evidence they are powering up.
No obvious component damage, no evidence of a short or any other catastrophic failure.

Any thoughts, ideas?
Possible power supply board??

Post Number: 4
Nobody eh????

Was planning on checking the power outputs this weekend. I was lucky to have found the schematic showing all the boards and the power outputs to all the components. I figure if I trace all the power in and out I'll be able to see which board is dead. Right????

Username: Jayz

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 1
I was given a 1996 55" Magnavox rear Projection Model 6P5440-W103.
TV. It Works good except for a slight green haze
around anything that is white. I took the front screen off and noticed that the blue color gun has a crystal like substance or dirt under the lens. The red and green gun lens look clear except for the blue gun. Does any one have an idea as to what this can be. Can it be cleaned? Or do I need to replace it, and if so where do I look for new gun?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The repairman came out to look at mine last Friday. Preliminary damage report is the power board is shot. He hauled the set away to furthewr diagnose the problem. Hope to hear from him later this week.
He also asked when I changed the cooling fluid in the color guns last. I said "CHANGE THE FLUID????". Told him it's never been touched in 14 years. He told me how the fluid will grow alge and become contaminated causing halo effects and, at times, blotches in the picture. Thge only way to fix it is to drain, flush, and refill. He said the newer sets need to have it changed about every two-three years.
Fortunately for me I haven't seen anything like he described. He's going to look at mine while he's got it apart. Didn't believe me when I told him the picture's perfect.

George, sounds like your blue gun has a fluid problem. I haven't seen it personally nor have I changed any...yet. Only read about it here and what the repair guy told me.
Do an internet search on changing the fluid. I found some interesting reading on the subject.

You sure it's down in the gun?
I have dead bugs between the focus lens and the top of the color guns. From the top looking in it looks like the bugs are deep inside but they aren't. I haven't the guts to play with the guns or I'd clean them out. I'll ask the repir guy to do that.

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Robert, for your input. To me it looks like crystalisation formed between the lens and the gun. This is all new to me. I had no idea there was fluid in between the lens and the gun. so I will take your advice, and do some research on it,and see what I can come up with. The way you described it, sounds exactly like what is going on.The halo effect is defiantly there, also when you look down into the lens and guns. The Red is clear the Green is clear but the blue is nothing but blurry. What I mean by this is you can see the TV image in both the green and red but not the blue gun.So thanks again for your input and I will see what I can find out about the fluid. George

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Power supply board is being fixed this week. The technician called and suggested that the fluid in the guns should be changed. WTH it's only been 14 years. He quoted a price of 75.00 to change it. Is this a good price???
The other repairs are costing 325.00.

What do you think?

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 5
Hey Iggy,
$75.00 sounds good to me,I have yet to find out anything about it on the net.I also can't find any place that sells the fluid kits or how to begin to change the fluid. If you know where I can order it please let me know. Maybe you can Ask the guy who is working on your set, if he knows where I can purchase the fluid kit.Thanks for reply Iggy
Jayz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I'll ask when I see him.

Kind of surprised nobody else here chimed in.
Figured with all the posts about changing the fluid it strange that [B]NOBODY[/B] has mentioned where to find it or how much it costs.

The price of being newbies.

Anonymous

Since ya'll have asked for other inputs. I'll provide my current findings on the cooling fluid used in rear projection sets.. I was attempting to find why my set exhibited the 'halo' effect when I experienced 'an inadvertent' release of existing fluid. After cleaning up the subsequent mess, I began searching for replacement fluid. Most shops called told me the could order it, but that they did not stock it. My last attempt to find a shop who had it in stock resulted in two very important pieces of information.

First, the fluid does grow algae and becomes cloudy causing the 'halo' affect. The first color to usually be affected is blue followed by green. The shop told me if the blue was cloudy, then the green probably was too, but that the red would probably be OK.

Second, (and this is what bothered me the most) since I had spilled this on the circuit board in the bottom of the cabinet, I was advised to remove the board and throughly clean it with something like Simple Green and let thoroughly dry for several days before re-installing. He also told me that if ANY of the fluid got on the high voltage to make sure it was thoroughly cleaned off before reappling power. Seems the fluid is conductive...

I was able to order/purchase enough fluid to replace the fluid in all three CRTs for ~$30 (that's three bottles - one for each color) from the same TV repair shop.

The simplest way I've learned to replace the fluid for my set (Magnavox RM8550A102) is to completely remove each CRT; drain the fluid out the expansion port; then disassemble the fluid camber for thorough cleaning; then reassemble; add fluid; and reinstall in set. I have just finished replacing the fluid in the set and started the realignment last night. Let's just say replacing the fluid has turned out to be simpler than getting the set realigned.. I'm hoping I can finish tonight..

I can attest to the fact that the 'halo' effect is gone and the picture is very crisp and clear.

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 6
This is for Anonymous,
Hey man thanks for your info, it is good to know
that someone out there cares enough to give me some pointers. I really think that it will solve my problem. If it would not be to much trouble
can you give me an address of the place you bought it so I can contact them Phone or email would be great. Also one more thing, did they tell you how to do it ? Like step by step?
Or did you know already. I have to find that out also. Any more help and I would be very greatful to you. Thanking you in advance.
Jayz

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 7
Hey Iggy, Seems like there are others out there that care enough to answer our questions. I have learned more from {Anonymous}today, than I have gotten from the internet in all my searching.
I guess it just takes time.
Jayz

Wizard of Oz - aka Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Jayz,

To answer your questions; no I did not get step-by-step instructions on how to change the fluid. Since I am technically compentent and not afraid to learn, this has been a self-taught experience.. It is a relatively painless process to change the fluid once you figure out how to completely remove the CRTs from the cabinet. In my case it is 4 screws and about 4 wire harnesses. The wire harnesses all end in header-type disconnects which are easily removeable.

Once I had the CRT out, it was obvious how to remove the expansion port and drain the fluid. Cleaning the assembly required either removing the concave lense or removing the chamber from the CRT. Either way, I was advised to make sure the 'old' fluid was cleaned out.

One word of caution if your going to do this yourself: you'd better have a good understanding of how to re-align the unit prior to removal because I can virtually guarantee it won't project exactly in the same place it did prior to removal. If you don't think you can do that, you'll be much better off having a service shop do it..

If you still want to proceed, I had no trouble getting the fluid. I called three shops (one was even a Magnavox authorized shop) and all three indicated they could order it for me.

The fluid I received is called Projection TV Coolant, PLHEAT-ES-8SQ. It's made by Tech Spray, Inc. P.O. Box 949, Amarillo, Tx. 79105. There may be other types/brands, but this is what I received. I haven't been able to locate any sources on-line yet, but again all the shops I called indicated they had no problems ordering it.

Hope this helps..

Wizard of Oz
Unregistered guest
Jayz,

I followed some leads and found that you can order the coolant from MCM Electronics (www.mcmelectronics.com). Search for "projection tv coolant"; it's $8.99 for a sixteen ounce bottle. My set took about 10oz for each CRT; don't know how much yours takes.

Cheers.

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 8
Hey Wizard of Oz,
Can't thank you enough for your help I was just on the Net trying to find some place that may have it . So you just saved me a lot of trouble.
Thank you again for all your help.
Jayz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks Anonymous for the info.
Sounds like the 70.00 the service tech wants to charge is a good deal. Changing the fluid is more than I want to get into by myself. Too bad the guns don't have a simple drain and fill ports.

Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
It's all fixed.
Being delivered tomorow. Can't wait to see it again. It's only been four weeks, but four weeks of watching a 20" from 12' away is hard.
For my 425.00 I'm expecting great things. It ought to be noticeably better than before.
We'll see.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us