Sammy HL-P5085W vs Toshiba 52HM84

Bug
Unregistered guest
I like both sets but the Sammy has PC Input with DVI AND HDMI inputs. However, the wife doesn't like the "looks" of the Sammy (its the pedestal she hates). The Toshiba does have HDMI but no DVI or PC Input. I would like to run a PC and XBox off the set. Any opinions which is the better/more reliable set???

To Bug
Unregistered guest
Get a Sammy 5674. It's the same as the 85 without the pedestal.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=5029645& isbn=&pid=

Bug
Unregistered guest
Contrast Ratio on the 5685 is 2500:1 and in the 5674 its 2000:1. How can they be the same set?

Username: Dusterbuster

Post Number: 9
the hlpxx85 and hlpxx74 have different internal components. although both use the TI HD2+ chip, the hlpxx74 has an older hybrid light engine with a 6 segment color wheel and 2000:1 contrast ratio, versus the hlpxx85's newer generation light engine with a 7 segment color wheel and 2500:1 contrast ratio. originally, the hlpxx74 was expected to be a table-top version of the hlpxx85 series, but then samsung decided to save costs and base the hlpxx74 design off of the previous generation hln series. a bit disappointing, but still a very nice set.

i was in a similar situation where i had a sammy hlp5085 and thought the PQ was fantastic, but the mrs. hated the design. i now have the toshiba 46hm84 which is nice, but i think i prefer the PQ on the hlp5085. i'm debating now whether to return the 46hm84 to costco for possibly the sammy hlp5674 or maybe one of the new samsung hlr models.

if you can convince the mrs., i'd vote for the sammy hlp5085 over the toshiba, but they're both good sets.

Bug
Unregistered guest
Thanks Andy...I think I might try and hold out for the HLR...but I won't wait for ever!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us