Need help choosing a tv

Username: Ericrod

Post Number: 1
im in the market for a widescreen hdtv. ive looked at 34" tubes and some projections. i was wanting to know if mitsubishi and sony were worth the extra 400$$ over toshiba and samsung. im looking for the best tv for 1000-1500, preferably closer to 1000.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 543
Don't buy the Samsung. As for the others, need to know model numbers of those you are considering.

Post Number: 2
sony HS420
phillips 34PW8502
mitsubishi WS-55315

why not samsung?

i really want to know what the top tv in the 1000-1500 price range is. i really like 34" tubes, cause i think they look better, what would you recommend? and would you recommend refurbished?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 734
Eric,

Whatever you do, I'd recommend looking exclusively at the 16:9 formats if you're converting to HD because that's how those programs are broadcast. Once you have HD, you'll find that most of what you watch will be HD programming anyway, and you wont want your HD picture in a letterbox or stretched.

In a few years as more programming keeps converting to HD...........You'll regret having an 'almost-new' 4:3 TV. If you're going to comprimise your picture with black bars or by stretching, for Gods sake..............dont do that to your awesome HD picture. Save that for the lowdef inferior signals that are broadcast in 4:3.

Silver Member

Post Number: 735
One more note.......If you're looking to get the most HDTV possible for the money, the RP-CRTs will offer the most bang for the buck.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6356221&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03006&id=1076628744709

The budget you listed is a fairly 'tight' HD budget, but if I were shopping with your budget, this is the general direction that I would be leaning.

Ive never seen this model in person, nor am I recommending it, but this is the size and style of TV that I would be leaning towards.

When it comes to HD and home theater, bigger is better. Once you start watching movies, sporting events, and primetime TV programs in this format, you'll wonder how you ever managed 'the old way'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
Read the threads. Samsung products seem to have poor reliability across the board. In that group, I would opt for the Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 219
I would personally go for the mits. I have seen alot of sony's and mitsubishi's side by side with direct(not split) feeds and was not too impressed with the sony, if you can up that $1400 to 2000 go with an older diamond series or the one under it.
Paul, I think that rptv's(the quality ones) have a more appealing picture than some mid end plasma's and lcd's, what do you think, you too dale.

Silver Member

Post Number: 739
I agree with dale.

Substitute Samsung/NAD........same difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 741
JC....

I agree. I have the 65"Mits and have no complaints. I love the picture and features.

My last TV was a 48" Toshiba so I have some experience with them and had no complaints. My final two was between Toshiba and Mits for my recent upgrade and the Mits won hands down. I also agree that this type of TV creats a better picture and color than many LCDs.

It's a big heavy beast though......LOL

It doesnt matter because I'll never lift it. That's what movers are for:-)

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 224
I just had to move mine to the basement after finishing the ht room and man!! what a beast 250lbs or something like it. have you seen my ht paul?https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/130158.html

Post Number: 3
im not in the market for an lcd, im looking at tubes and projections. so you think the mits is going to have a better picture than the sony tube? i think the sony looks better but the mits is just bigger. how many of you have had to move multiple times? im going to be moving three times within the next two years, but i want a tv that is going to last me at least 10-12 years. sony or mits? or should i go with a 34" toshiba? for a lot less money?

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 179
You don't want to go the Sony route. Sony is for rich ppl that want the best.

Although you didn't mention it, I suggest you go with a Sanyo HD TV. They sell them at Wal-Mart for pennies on the wholesale dollar. You'll find them between the shoes and the oil filters, on aisle 51. That will be your best bet...

Then again, Sony's are made in Mexico, so if you have national pride, maybe it's 'worth it'. Up to you, Eric...

Post Number: 4
sanyo? i am a college kid who wants a respectable tv! :-) honestly though, im considering a $1500 mits or sony to last me 10 years, why should i buy a sanyo? what sanyo would compete with these tvs? if i can save a lot and get a great tv that im going to want to keep for 10 years ill do it, it has to be at least 34" 16:9.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
In that case, buy a Sony. No bragging rights with anything else, bro!

Post Number: 5
haha, so are you ticked off at me for being a smart alec or serious? all i really want is a non-tv-salesman to tell me that sony and mitsubishi are that much better than the competition. and now im looking at the toshiba paul posted above. theyre all about 100$ apart. i want the best tv possible. i guess the 55" isnt really that much space demanding considering they are about the same depth. which tv is going to be able to endure a move without discoloring? thanks for the help.

Post Number: 6
and what is the difference in the comb filters on these units? i am tv illiterate!

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Forget comb filters. As long as you use component or s-video connectors, you don't need them.

Post Number: 7
sanyo doesnt go above 30". i dont think i want to go below 34". is there a guide i can find on the net to calibrating a tv? i want to go in to best buy and see what these tvs really look like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Joseph,

Sweet setup!! yea, those TVs are heavy. My 65" Mits weighs 350lbs. There's noway I'll ever be picking it up. It's suprisingly easy to pull away from the wall though if I ever need to change wires.

I took a picture of my setup last winter, but the film is still rotting in the camera. I'll have to post it whenever I finally get it developed. Heck, the picture is already outdated because I think it was before I upgraded my receiver.......LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
Eric, despite the advice, I think you have answered your own question: "i think the sony looks better". Mit picture will not be as life like and they tend towards the red or "warm setting. Vin and I disagree on a lot of things, but he is right to recommend the Sony.

Post Number: 8
thanks dale, but i havent seen the mits in hd. some people on here have said with hd, bigger is better. is that true?

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Might be interested in this, Eric...

http://www.everything4electronics.com/productview.aspx?ID=890

36" Sony, $1,124.09, 230 lbs...

Post Number: 9
they make 36" in 16:9??

yesterday i was leaning mitsubishi. i have a little while before i get my tv. my goal is july. i think ill go look at the tvs before then, BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO ADJUST THEM, SO WHEN I GO TO THE STORE I CAN MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
I doubt that anyone here can tell you how to adjust a TV, let alone TV's (plural). This is a n00b forum, more or less. There are ppl that make a living adjusting TV's. They go from town-to-town offering this service. The price depends on how much time you want them to spend - a couple of hours - a day - a couple of days, et cetera. This can cost hundreds of dollars, believe it ot not - and ppl pay it!

What I would do is take my favorite DVD to the store and have them load it for me - then start pushing buttons. If you have to break out a manual to adjust the TV, forget about it!

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
Another option: take a copy of Digital Video Essentials.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 245
I think sony has better direct views but not better projections. I do believe mits has the mid market there.

Sue Dahnert
Unregistered guest
HELP!! I've been looking all over the internet for information on what kind of TV to buy NOW that's good for the future. Flat screen and flat panel ,HDT or DLP. I'd like to buy 2 larger TVs, one for the bedroom and one for the family room. My son bought Mitsubishi 1280x720p Proprietary DLP Light Engine,WD-52525 : 52" (was told by the salesman at Fry's Electronic in Phoenix it's definitely the "wave" of the future) but then I was told by a salesman at Best Buy NOT to buy the DLP (he recommended the Sharp's LC-45GD4U , a 45" widescreen HDTV1. He said the LC-45GD4U is the largest LC-TV on the market today and the future lies in LC-TV not the DLP. Is this true? Given a resonable budget please advise me on what to buy. PS I''m not a techie, so just the basics please.

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
"I'm not a techie, so just the basics please."

Opinions are like 'bung holes' - everybody has one... LoL! That's probably too basic, huh?

'The problem' you are experiencing, Sue, is that TV (et al) is a moving target these days. So, it's hard to figure out which direction to aim. And, if you talk to 10 'experts', they'll probably give you 10 different opinions. All I can tell you is, NOBODY knows "the future". Believe me on this...

Personally, I'm using a Sony 42WE610 right now, e.g. a 42" Sony Grand Wega, and I love it. It's basically a rear projection LCD TV. It isn't perfect, but it should last for many years. That's one way to go.

Another way to go, in projection TVs, is the DLP route. It isn't perfect either, but should last for years also. Personally, I don't like the picture quality on DLPs, but that's just me.

Since YOU want to keep this basic, if you want to go the rear projection route, take your pick between these two - whatever looks best to YOU. They're both a 'safe bet'...

Flat panel LCD (LC-TV) is a whole different animal, technology-wise. I love LC-TV, but when I was last shopping for a TV, 'they' didn't make BIG ones, and LC-TV prices were out of this world. In the meantime, screen sizes have gotten bigger and prices have fallen.

If I was in the market today, I would SERIOUSLY consider going the LC-TV route. Whether or not they are 'the future', nobody can say, but there's a whole lot less to go wrong - no spinning mirrors to get stuck or projector bulbs to burn out, et cetera. That alone is worth the price, IMHO.

Unregistered guest
Vindsl,
You're right! 10 different people, 10 different opinions but so far they've just been trying to sell me a TV. I needed someone with NO hidden motive, just a professional opinion from someone in the business. Thanks for the advice. At least I now have direction to venture. Sue

Gold Member

Post Number: 1554
Sue,
You might consider doing your own homework and decide for yourself what's best rather than posing subjective questions. As you'll soon see, opinions are like a**holes, and everybodys got one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us