VHS to DVD Help Please

Bronze Member
Username: Tlstrieg

Post Number: 23
Good Morning All.

I realize that I'm asking a question that may have many answers, and this may not be the most appropriate forum, but here goes.

I have a large collection of commercial VHS tapes that I want to convert to DVD for personal archival purposes. I have a Panasonic E85 DVD recorder and a Sima CC-2 digital video stabilizer.

What I don't have is a high quality VHS player. the one's I have are cheap models, and I want to make the best quality DVDs I can.

I'm hearing about S-VHS recorders/players. Would an S-VHS give me better quality reproduction of standard VHS tapes than a high quality standard VHS with the standard commercial tapes I have?

Does anyone have a recommendation on what to look for in a high quality VHS or S-VHS player? Any brands that stand out above the rest.

From what I've seen, I can buy an S-video for under $200 US, so price doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm looking for quality.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Tom

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 964
An S-VHS will give some improvement in quality since it will give an s-video out. If you want real improvement and the highest possible quality, you need a TBC like this one has, $600. http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026935&pathId=49&page=2
I wouldn't consider it worth it myself, but I don't use VHS anymore, haven't for a long time. You might find a used one on e-bay, I've seen them there before, of course with e-bay you take your chances. That is list price, you can probably find it cheaper.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thanks for the information and link, David. Notwithstanding my statement about price not being an issue, $600 is a bit more than I think converting my VHS collection is worth.:-) I was thinking more in the $200 price range.

Do you have any ideas or opinions on how HR brand rates against Mitsubishi? I've been looking at both, but can find very little against which to compare them.

Thanks,

Tom

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 970
There is one of those JVC VCRs on e-bay for $200, ends in a couple of hours. What is HR? A JVC model number? JVC standard VCRs are pretty cheaply built and not real reliable. I would think for $600 you would get a better VCR, but I haven't seen the inside of one of those, so I don't know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks David,

I found one on Ebay and bought it. I really appreciate your assistance and advice.

Tom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Good Evening David,

My new JVC S-VHS recorder with TBC arrived today, and it really improves the quality of playback on my commercial tapes. Thanks for the assistance.

Tom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us