Sony KDF55XS955 black level / fan noise

Username: Poway_av

Post Number: 4
I purchased a Sony KDF55XS955 about 2 weeks ago. The black level doesn't seem up to par to me, especially during dvd playback (hdmi or component). Anyone compared the black level on this set to other lcd or dlp's? Are my expectations too high?

Also, the noise from the fan is very noticeable to me. Anyone else think so?

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 30
I have the KDF-50WE655 and the fan noise is very, very quiet.

Black level is one weakness of LCD RP. Each technology has its own issues. I prefer overall the Sony LCD picture to DLP but that is only my opinion. I believe the new Sony models coming out this summer (42 and 50 inch) have improved black levels. Black level is OK on my Sony when there is good key lighting in the scene. If the secene is very dark with very little key lighting, it can appear dull. But in the month plus of ownership, I have come across that only once or twice (scene from Mulholland Drive, for ex).

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 20
I have the KDF-55WF655 and aside from startup - when the fan noise is very noticable, I can't hear it at all, even with the volume turned all the way down.

I guess I wasn't expecting vivid blacks (particularly after reading so many posts about problems with LCD RP and black levels) so I was happy when I watched different movies and did not find the black levels to be bad at all. Watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Dark City (great test for black levels) and did not really notice any problem.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your replies.

Both of you say the fan on your Sony is very quiet. As reference, mine sounds about the same noise level as a refrigerator when it's running (after the initial startup when it's really loud). Are your fans quieter than that?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 22
The TV sounds fairly refrigerator-ish when it is starting up (10 seconds) - after that I can not hear it at all. Even with the volume all the way down I don't notice any fan noise. I suppose if I tried this in the dead of night with no background noise at all I might be able to hear it, but yours sounds completely different.
My understanding is that our TV's are basically the same (size and everything), except yours has an upgraded sound system and a few more bells and whistles - I would assume that there may be an issue with the fan.

mskywalker1
Unregistered guest
I have the 42 Sony LCD RPTV and have been extremely pleased with the black level and the lack of any appreciable fan noise. i keep reading about the Toshiba DLP having a better all around picture but I have not seen that bear out in the stores.
The DRC in the non-HD set up menu has even greatly enhanced the SD picture quality on my DISH-HD feed.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all the feedback.

I was looking at the Samsung HL-P5085W DLP set at Best Buy, and it seemed much brighter, sharper, with better black levels compared to my Sony, but it's so hard to compare apples to apples there (i.e. 55" to 50"), and who knows if the settings were correct on the Sony. The Sony picture with HD signals for sports is incredible. I am just disappointed with the picture for movies/DVDs since the black levels seem so grayish.

Based on the input I received, I called Sony and they're coming out to look/listen to the fan next week.

TONY S
Unregistered guest
Pete-
ihave had the xs60 for about a month now,got it after returning mits,and i love it.
the fan noise is only louder on startup,and i do not even notice it,so your fan must be defective.
also ,my black level looks much better,when i go into video menu,and put power level on power saving setting,and it even softened picture up a little. give it a try.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the tip on changing the black level by adjusting the power saving setting. I'll try it tonite.

I adjusted the brightness/color/contrast using the Video Essentials DVD. Does anyone else have any tips to gettting the black level on the KDF-55XS955 closer to true black instead of a dark gray? I could be missing something in the settings.

Anonymous

test post
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us