Questions about Sony KDF42WE655

Username: Deacon022

Post Number: 1
I have a few questions about the Sony 42 LCD. I have Time Warner HD cable, should I set up my TV through the 720 or the 1050 output? I have heard the 720 is better for sports, but does it make a difference? Thank you.

Reply to Chris
Unregistered guest
The 720P resolution format is native to most every LCD and DLP widescreen RPTV. This format also handles fast action scenes much better, especially on LCD's with slower refresh rates. Some say there's no difference to 1080I, but I can see the difference clearly on my DLP watching NBA and NASCAR.

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 27
Now I have a question! I have a KDF50WE655 and my TV is set at 1080i with Service Electric Cable. I wasn't aware that the setting could be changed to the 720 progressive mode. Is the setting a result of how the signal is delivered?

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
The setting cannot be changed. My local PBS, CBS, and NBC broadcast in 1080i and ABC and Fox in 720P. With the Sony's if a 1080i is sent to the TV, then that is what's displayed. Like-wise with 720P. Your display information should tell you what's being received and displayed.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
One thing I should clarify, the Sony's have 1386 x 788 resolution, so theoreticaly everthing gets upscaled to this however, 1080i is still an interlaced signal so it gets scaled differently and there is an obvious difference between the two. The scaling has to start with what's given to the set, which is why 1080i and 720P look way better than 480i, even though they all get scaled to the native resolution. IMO, the 1080i looked a little better on the Sony's.

Post Number: 2
Which brings me to the next problem. If the channel isn't a HD channel, the screen is automatically zoomed in. Is there a way to block this so the screen doesn't look distorted? On the menu screen the normal option is "grayed" out. The only options are zoom, full , and ws zoom.
Thank you for all the help. I need it.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Make sure that when watching a 16:9 program, that the setting is on full, and when you tune to a 4:3 station it should let you choose normal. Keep in mind that you will get the black bars on the sides in normal mode, but you'll have no fat-heads on the TV. If it still won't let you choose normal, go into the setup menu, and there should be an automatic setting for 4:3. Make sure it's turned off.

Post Number: 3
That's the problem HD, when I tune to a 4:3 station, they won't let me choose normal, it is still grayed out. The 4:3 default setting is off. I called Sony and they said they said they don't understand why.

To Chris F
Unregistered guest
You are using a component input most likely!
When using this type of connection the set acts as a monitor and expects the connected device, be it sat or cable converter, to do the sizing. I think your TW converter isn't adjusted properly. It has a menu that must be accessed and set to pass the signal through, allowing the set to do the sizing. I don't subscribe to cable, but have read many complaints like yours. I'm a sat subscriber and my STB has sizing options. Cable STB's are a little different, but there are adjustments in the service menu.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Try hooking up an antenna if you have one to see if the problem persists. Also, did you try turning the 4:3 default setting on just to see what happens? Turning it on and then back off again might toggle the setting if it's stuck. If your still having the problem, then I suppose it's possible you have a defective set.

Post Number: 4
OK folks,
Went to Best Buy. The guy said all I needed was a S video cable. He also told me I should hook up Monster HDMI cables, or regular monster cables. I hooked up the S-video cable, and it worked. Also bought the HDMI cable,but I think it looked better without the cables. Thanks to all who have helped out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us