Digital Cable Voltage Leak Problem

Username: Spudnuts

Midwest City, OK USA

Post Number: 5
First alittle background:

My house has two wiring systems, one side is 3 wire and the other (older side) is 2 wire.

I just had digital cable service started and my PPV and On demand doesn't work. Have had the cable guys out to my house 7 times and finally an engineer says that I have a voltage leak coming from the two rooms on the 2 wire side of my house.

One room is leaking 59 volts and the other is leaking 44 volts. The connections on the 3 wire side are not leaking at all.

I removed all 2 wire outlets and replaced them with 3 wire and grounded them all. Tested all outlets for good ground and they are good.

Put all electronics on power strips to ensure everything would be grounded and the voltages are still there.

I've done alot of research on this and it seems to be a common problem with older houses. With this voltage on the coax, it is interferring with my digital cable. How can I kill this creature??? Is there a filter or adapter I can put on the coax at the TV's to shut it down?

I've done measurements out of the TV and it's 59 volts, as I disconnect each component the voltage drops slightly. I even killed every breaker in the house but the room i'm measuring and it changes nothing.

Help help help, digital cable is useless with this problem.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 74
I've seen this quite a bit over the years, the only recommendation is to get an electrician out that understands grounding issues and make sure all the lines in the house have a balanced ground. If your cable system is two-way (interactive) and you use any type of filter to isolate the ground, you may cause a problem in the reverse signal. Good luck, my experience with these issues is usually a headache trying to find somebody that understands what is going on.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 18
I'm confused about your building having two power feeds. You say you have 120v AND 240v service on SEPARATE feeds? Why? Is this a single, double (2 family) or MDU (more than 4) building?

Second, you have a device with a plug that isn't polarized and reversed into the outlet. It's usually the TV. Try reversing plugs on your A/V equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us