780p to 1080i conversion

frankie nj
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Mitsubishi HDTV Upgradeable television. The only HDTV format it supports is 1080i. The manual says a 720p signal must be converted by a receiver before it can be displayed properly. I'm getting Comcast HDTV service. Does the DTV receiver they use change 720p to 1080i so I can get a good hi-def picture? If not, what are my options? Thanks!

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
There should be a Set Up function in your Comcast box to output video to 1080i. Otherwise, your TV should up-convert everything it receives to 1080i automatically.

frankie nj
Unregistered guest
thanks hd guy!

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 104
Most likely you be getting a Motorola 6412 which is a dual tuner DVR. In the setup menu you select what output you want from the component/DVI output. Just make sure you tell the installer you want 1080i. You will also have options for 4:3 programs. Your choices will be "off" in which case the image will be output in the resolution set for the component/DVI. This will result in black bars on each side of the image and no way to use the display's stretch modes. There is a stretch option but it isn't a very good one. The last two options are 480i or 480p. Either of these would be good choices and it allows you to use your display's stretch mode is desired or it will output with either grey or black bars depending on your TV's capability.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us