Simple question for those with the Motorola DCT6412

Username: Aukevin

Post Number: 8
I'm trading in my DCT6200 today for the dual tuner HD STB, and I had a question. On the single tuner model, when the box was off, if I pressed the menu button it would take me to a menu that would allow me to change my video source between 480i, 480p, stretch, and 1080i. Is this done the same way on the DCT6412? Thanks.

Other than that, is there anything else I should do to this box when I get it to make it work any better? Thanks a lot.

fx
Unregistered guest
It has the same menu Kevin. One small difference may be that you need to press OK (or select) twice within 2 seconds after power off to bring up the menu.

xvxvxvx

Username: Mrpriest5

College Park, MD US

Post Number: 1
Does anyone know how to enable the DVR function of the Motorola DCT 6412, right now it is just acting as a digital cable box
I would like to enable the DVR feature and start recording

fx
Unregistered guest
You don't enable it, your cable company does. Some cable companies are installing these units before they have the capability to begin the DVR service. Call your cable company.

xvxvxvx

caraddad
Unregistered guest
comcast cant get my DCT6412 to work. No channels..only the awaiting message. They have swapped out boxes, on my fourth. Their CS is clueless. Anybody have an idea here? Thx

reardon
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem. The first box 2 boxes would lock up constantly. The third would access the HD channels and 2-82 but nothing else and no on demand.

I am on my 4th box now. Has anyone else had a similiar experience?

Anonymous

Hello all! I am a TV-holic. I have been this way for many years. And a few years ago, I becae a Tivo-holic. Now, I am seriously thinking of getting HDTV service from Adelphia (for the HD local programming, etc. not available thru satellite) with their DVR, the Motorola DCT-6412. But will I have enough space (200+ hours) to record? In HD quality? Is there an upgrade I can buy and install? Or, would you recommend something else? Your help is much appreciated!

Anonymous

I'm on my third box in 4 weeks. The first box lasted 6 months.

Bronze Member
Username: Pstahljr

Post Number: 23
Hello all! I am a TV-holic. I have been this way for many years. And a few years ago, I becae a Tivo-holic. Now, I am seriously thinking of getting HDTV service from Adelphia (for the HD local programming, etc. not available thru satellite) with their DVR, the Motorola DCT-6412. But will I have enough space (200+ hours) to record? In HD quality? Is there an upgrade I can buy and install? Or, would you recommend something else? Your help is much appreciated!

I'm not sure how many hours exactly of HD you can get on a PVR but it's not a lot. Don't know of any other way to get a HD recording. I have the the Moto DCT-6412 and I'm guessing maybe 20 hours of HD recording.

fx
Unregistered guest
"I'm not sure how many hours exactly of HD you can get on a PVR but it's not a lot. Don't know of any other way to get a HD recording. I have the the Moto DCT-6412 and I'm guessing maybe 20 hours of HD recording."

Not a bad guestimate Peter, the answer is somewhat variable. You can get about 16 hours of 720p HD or less than 13 hours of 1080i HD data on the DCT6412.

The 12 in the DCT6412 stands for a 120 Meg HDD. Some of the 120 Meg is used in the file allocation tables and for the buffers on each tuner so you cannot record 120 Meg of data but somewhat less.

xvxvxvx

feefree
Unregistered guest
Does anyone out there use the DCT6412 without cable or satellite, but with an over-the-air antenna? I am looking at doing this, but don't know the specifics of how it all works. I am assuming the TVGuide feature that the user manual talks about is a free service (since I won't be getting it from the cable/satellite company), is that right?

fx
Unregistered guest
The DCT-6412 is a cable box, not an OTA (over the air) receiver. It has no built in ATSC tuner so it will never pickup OTA programming unless it is being rebroadcast through your cable provider. The guide is only available to cable subscribers as well. WHAT YOU BOUGHT ON E-BAY IS AN EXPENSIVE DOORSTOP.

xvxvxvx

no pay DVR
Unregistered guest
Have a COMCAST DCT6412 through the cable company. Can I get the identical box from another souce & use it. Or is the cable company enableing each cable box to make it 100% funtional?

feefree
Unregistered guest
"The DCT-6412 is a cable box, not an OTA (over the air) receiver. It has no built in ATSC tuner so it will never pickup OTA programming unless it is being rebroadcast through your cable provider."

Bummer. So I need to find a "receiver" that is an ATSC tuner, not just a "dual-tuner"? I really don't understand all the terminology yet. Is there anyone out there who has done this (over-the-air HD and DVR)?

fx
Unregistered guest
Sony makes an HD-DVR and I believe though am not sure that it is an OTA receiver with an ATSC tuner as well.

STB's like the DCT-6412 are manufactured strictly for cable companies. Outside of using it via an authorized STB supplied by your cable company it is just a good doorstop.

xvxvxvx

andesman
Unregistered guest
I want to get adelphia with the the HD/dvr box. Will it get the OTA signals using my uhf antenna? My dish 811 HD box works great hoping the adelphia wil do the same?? HELP?

fx
Unregistered guest
"I want to get adelphia with the the HD/dvr box. Will it get the OTA signals using my uhf antenna? My dish 811 HD box works great hoping the adelphia wil do the same?? HELP?"

Sorry to be so terse but life helps those who help themselves. All you need to do is read the very thread in which you just posted and the answer is in it.

xvxvxvx

Username: Bamenda

I just brought my DVR box from Mexico. Can I use it with TimeWarner in US?

Username: Lando51

Philadelphia, PA USA

I bought a DCT-6412 III Motorola ( non-Comcast) and Comcast refusses to install it because they said that DCT-6412 can not be bought only can be rent. Any suggestions ?

Username: Stevie

Bismarck, North Dakota USA

I have a moto DCT 6412 III. I am wondering if there is any way to connect a hard drive to the unit or something for additional storage? It seems to have alot of connection options on the back...

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 145
Jose, they are correct, in the USA you currently cannot force a cable company to utilize your persoanl STB on their network. Any DCT-6412 you purchased was either stolen from a cable company or imported from Canada where they do own their own equipment. Either way you are SOL.

Steve, the series III has an external SATA port but the software/firmware hasn't yet been utilized by most cable companies to allow for external storage yet. If you own a SATA HDD you might just try hooking it up to your 6412.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us