A simple question (Quality DVD to LCD TV hookup)

Different Name
Unregistered guest
Hi guys!

I have a simple question (me thinks):

In addition to a component video cable what are the cables I should be using for the best picture quality in order to connect a progressive scan DVD and an LCD TV: a composite A/V cable or a S-Video / Audio cable kit?

The component / composite combo seems to work, but will I gain in quality output should I go with the S-Video cable, if that's at all possible? The instruction book is not clear on that, it recommends S-Video hookup over the regular one, but doesn't mention it (S-Video) in addition to the component cable connection.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help!

Different Name
Unregistered guest
Oh yes, and also, how important is the quality of these (composite or S-Video) cables is for the overall picture?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 486
Component connections are almost always superior to S-Video. Quality may make a difference depending on the length of cables and the characteristics of the player. You do not need to connect component and S-Video cables for normal installations.

Different Name
Unregistered guest
Thank you, Dale! That's what I, basically, thought...

The thing that confused me a bit is, and I have no idea if this is normal or not, that I get no picture whatsoever with just the component cable connecting the two devices. It is only when I connect them (with component cable already in place) with a composite cable that I start seeing picture. So, apparently, it serves some purpose, and so I thought that perhaps the S-Video cable could do the same job better. But apparently, if I understood you correctly, the functions that normally the S-Video cable performs better than the regular composite cable are already covered in my hookup scheme by the component cable? Did I get it right?

By quality of the cables I mean if it makes sense to invest a little money in purchasing a better composite cable than the one I'm using right now - a pretty standard A/V cable that came with one of my devices. My player is a Denon DVD-2900, the component cable I have purchased is a 2m (6.6ft) Video-2 Monster.

Thanks a lot once again, Dale!

Andy

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Yes. In order of picture quality, best to worst in your set up: component, S-video and composite. Check your DVD player and make certain it is correctly set up to output through component jack (it may require you to choose a progressive or 1080i setting). Then make certain you have selected the correct input on your tv. Under normal circumstances, you should not have to utilize the composite tv connection to obtain a picture through the component jack. You have wisely chosen an excellent DVD player and quality component cable. In my experience, in typical installations, spending large sums of money on composite cables is not cost efficient and rarely results in an obvious visual improvement. Again, you should not need to use the composite cable at all if you are connected by component cable. Check this out and get back to me.

Different Name
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much, Dale, it's all taken care of. You were right, the input on TV was selected incorrectly. I guess I assume too much about modern devices, for instance I, for some reason, assumed that the TV of this class would pick up on the signal and set itself to it. Wrong... :-)

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your help, Dale!
Thanks a million!

Andy

JAFSD
Unregistered guest
Component cables are decent but the HDMI cable is probably the best. Try to acquire an up converting DVD player 720p/1080i and use the HDMI output. You'll be stunned at the PQ if you have the set to take advantage of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
Note: JAFSD did not directly respond to your inquiry. Furthermore, assuming you have an HDMI input on your tv (which, by the way, was not mentioned in your post) connecting a player with upconversion circuitry may or may not result in significant picture improvement. Don't expect an HD picture from a non HD source. I'm glad I was able to help.

Bronze Member
Username: Natish

India

Post Number: 15
I wish ur player has also prog. out.switch it on player.u will get better picture on enabling this.b4
enablin check whether ur display accepts the prog. video i/p.

Anonymous

Hello to all,

I have a question about component cable. currently I am using S-video to hook up my dvd plater to my HD ready 26" TV. Can I get any visually identifiable improvement on quality of picure by using component cable and using progressice scan feature of TV and DVD player?
Frankly, I could not see the difference by using S-video instead of composite.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1124
Absolutely, progressive will be better. You don't need expensive cables, just video cables, not audio cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us