Panasonic DMR-E95H unable to set clock

ques
Unregistered guest
Yet another 'unable to set clock' post. I have looked over a couple of those here and on another forum. I have the DMR-E95H unit for some time now. When I connected it initially all was working fine. Clock was set, TV Guide downloaded. Daylight savings time change came and I wanted to advance the clock, but it seems impossible to do.

Setup:
I have a digital cable box and using Optimum Online. Cable signal goes from outside to the cable box, then from cable box to the DMR unit using it's L3 input.

The clock setup and some other menus are grayed out and I would like to bring the unit back to factory settings. I have tried the CH up and CH down procedure in two variants, holding these two buttons down untill:
a) I see 'BYE'
b) the unit shows flashing '12:00A'
I disconnected the unit from power in both cases. The TV Guide does come up with a screen that normally would be an indication that the reset was successfull. I set it up again, but I'm still unable to change the clock plus it seems to not be downloading the channel listing anymore. I gave the unit a week to do it and was still showing "no listings..." in TV Guide. The clock setup menus are still grayed out.

The TV Guide setup is:
zip, YES, YES, L3, 008 - Scientific Atlanta

I've also tried the 'real' factory reset from http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm but after reconnecting the unit I got 'PLEASE WAIT' -> 'SELF TEST' -> 'TEST * L1' which didn't dissapear. I left the unit for over an hr and it was still showing that display. Afterwards I pressed 'power' on the unit which turned it off and showed the flashing clock. After pressing 'power' again I was greeted by the setup TV Guide screen. Clock setup menus are still grayed out.

Should the 'TEST * L1' be appearing? How long does it take for it to finish?
A last resort that I'm seeing is trying to upgrade the firmware. I'm afraid that I'll lose the HD content, and there is couple hrs worth of stuff on it. When reading the (very poorly) google translated Japanese site which talks about the firmware update I saw a mention/screen of 'starred' video clips after the upgrade which the firmware guide said needed to be deleted or worse yet all the clips before or after the starred one were bad.

I can try the reset method from http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm again but I would like to know what that 'TEST * L1' means and if it ever finishes, first. The reset methods mentioned in the manual I have tried about 10 times now.

Finally, does anyone know where the settings are stored. Maybe it's on a chip that requires a battery to keep the settings as is the case with computer BIOS settings. In that case I would remove the battery and try to reset settings that way.

Username: Brazman

Rio de Janeiro, RJ Brazil

Post Number: 7
Hi

I had the same problem at the first time i did the procedure ( i have a E85HS) so i changed some things and i dunno exacly what works but i'll write some "notes" about the procedures that in my case worked :

Steps :

1) Firmware upgrade and do the steps (wriitten on the site) to reset to factory settings....

2) Put you cable box on L1 not L3

3) Wait about 10 Minutes

4) Manually turn OFF the Unit (not on the remote)

5) Turn ON the unit and then it will show you the TV Guide Setup Screen.

6) When it asks for Country Put USA

7) When it asks for the Zip code just put 0 0 0 0 0 ( all zeros)

8) When it asks "Do You have a Cable service Put "NO"

9) When it asks Do you have a cable box connected put "NO"

10) The last question will be "What Would You Like to do ?" Answer "Watch TV" This is the important Question / Answer !!!

Doing this you are disabling the TV GUIDE System and almost all "AUTO" features :-)

After that you can go to SETUP the manually clock setup should be blue now :-)

I hope that works for you... Also please leave a reply saying if it works because if yes i am thinking to buy one E95H.

I hope it works !

Good Luck !!

Leo.

ques
Unregistered guest
I believe that the only way to reset the unit completely is to update the firmware. But I can't do that because I fear some/all of the clips already recorded will be lost. Once all my home videos get transferred to DVD I'll update the firmware and I'll post here if it worked. Almost all of the video is transferred to the HD, so it will not take too long. Hopefully there will be no troubles in burning DVD discs.

After the numerous resets that I've done I never had option 10) happen. Only time I saw that question was when setting up TVGuide for the very first time.

Username: Brazman

Rio de Janeiro, RJ Brazil

Post Number: 9
Hi !

The firmware upgrade will not reset the HD. All data will be there
bye
Leo

PS: Please leave a reply saying if it works ... It's very important to me

Username: Emsworth

Post Number: 1
I'd be curious as to whether you have found a resolution for this, as I have the same problem, and have followed the same steps that have been mentioned (except my patience with the L1*TEST ran out after about 10 minutes). No amount of playing with the TV Guide setting will get me the desired blue box for the clock setting (or for auto either). I plan on calling Panasonic's help line, but based on posts I've seen here, it doesn't sound like a promising proposition.

My whole problem started because I wasn't getting any program information for the TV Guide, so I decided to reset the settings and ended up with the blinking 12:00 clock. I should have left well enough alone, I guess, but there must be a simple answer, right?

Username: Emsworth

Post Number: 2
I finally got the clock to set, but to be truthful the Panasonic Manual seems to contradict the correct way to do it. After you reset the recorder and turn it back and are greeted with the set up screen for TV Guide, immediately hit the return button before going any further. You'll get a message that you'll have to do manual setups, and after you hit return and go into setup, you should be greeted with all blue buttons for clock setup. You can then manually set the clock, and then go and set up TV Guide if you wish, without losing your manual clock settings.

Hope this helps someone else, because you won't find this info in the manual, that's for sure!

ques
Unregistered guest
Well, Arthur, it doesn't seem to be that easy with my DMR. Did you buy yours recently?

Once I get done with burning the clips I have on it I'll upgrade the firmware. I don't think anything else will correct the problem.

Leonardo, I will leave a reply stating how the upgrade went.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us