Samsung HLN5065wx

Username: Jkriley

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Samsung HLN5065wx 50 inch DPL television and I am not overly happy with the picture it is a little fuzzyer then I thought it would be.
I bought good component cables for my dvd player and I still feel it is a little fuzzy.
I also find the xbox games fuzzy.

Is this normal do to the size? Would switching to a 46 inch of the same model make a big difference in the quality of the picture?

I ordered a High def cable box that will be here Saturday but I was hopping the dvd would look better then it dose. I have 2 weeks to take it back and get the 46 inch if I feel that would be a better choice.

Also I have not noticed any leg or delay when playing Xbox.

Long story short will the picture on the 46 be that much better then on the 50 to make it worth the switch?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Reply to James R
Unregistered guest
What's the signal quality? Garbage in...garbage out!
Don't tell me it's standard definition cable signal.
If so, there's your answer! A 46" won't be any better!
Sat signal is the right choice! Cable tv sucks!!!

Is your DVD player a progressive scan type?
Did you go into the player's menu and change it to progressive scan?
It makes a big difference! (480P)
Component Pr, Pb, Y cables are the right choice for all inputs.

How close to that 50" tv are you sitting?
If you are 8 feet or closer you are too close, especially for standard definition.
The right distance is 10-12 feet.

You bought a high def tv. Give it a better signal!
Don't spend big money on a precise display and no money on the signal quality. You will be disappointed!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 565
James,
If you're currently watching low-def cable sources on a TV that big, it will look fuzzy. Once you get your HDcable setup, you'll be thrilled with the picture.

DVDs are only 480p, but they should still look pleasingly sharp. You might want to check your TV settings and make sure you arent watching DVDs in one of the stretch modes because they will make the image look more fuzzy. You also want to make sure you have a progressive scan DVD player, and that it's properly activated. If you play a Widescreen DVD in standard mode on a progressive scan DVD player, it should look pretty darned good.

As for the smaller TV???.....noway!! Bigger is better:-)

Post Number: 2
I do have a Progressive scan dvd player it is a JVC XV-na70 DVD player.

The TV has a few modes Normal which makes the picture really small, Wide and Panarama.

So far i think Panarama looks bets the wide makes every one look fat and fuzzy.

I am getting a HD box on sat so that should make a diffrance.

A friend f mine told me that if i got a 46 inch the pic would be much sharper is that true.

what distance should you sit from a 50 and 46 inch TV. I am thinking of taking the 50 back and getting a 46.

thanx guys

Reply to James R idiot!
Unregistered guest
Well...obviously...you can't read or process information or reccommendations.

Some people just can't be helped.

Post Number: 3
Dose the Samsung HLN5065wx suffer from problems with video games not refreshing fast enough or sound and video not syncing problems.

If so what model dose not?

HIKER
Unregistered guest
Two words..... SPELL CHECK

Post Number: 6
I will never understand why on forums people can take the time to be rude but not answer questions.

I apologies I did not have a spell check available when I wrote that, but thank your for taking the time to contribute being a smartass and noting useful.

Regards

James

Klaus
Unregistered guest
James R. The fact that you have a progressive scan DVD player does not mean that it is outputting progressive scan. Go into your setup for the DVD player and make sure that it is indeed set to progressive output. I have the HLP4674 and DVD output is glorious

Post Number: 8
Thank you Klaus, I am going to get a different DVD player mine dose not have any option like that.

How do you like the 46 inch I am thinking of taking my 50 inch back and getting the 46 I was told the picture is much cleaner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
James,

You were told wrong. If you were talking ancient history and lived in the world of 480i, your friend might have a point.

That couldnt be further from the truth in the modern era of HD.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
James R. I have a 46 inch my friend has the 50 inch. Both give a fine picture, but viewing distance is the key, especially with poor quality signals. I view mine at 7-8 feet, his is 10-12 feet, and viewing quality is very similar. Paul is correct that with good signal, larger will be more gratifying. I would have gone with the 61 inch except my better half insisted that it fit in our armoire. Oh well the compromise was not too painful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
Heh......
For that very same reason, I've never let my wife buy one of those.

Nothing worse than being stuck to a certain TV size because of poor furniture choice made years ago.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us