WANTED / NEED 60" Screen for RCA Rear Projection TV

Username: Daveh1010101

Ohio USA

Post Number: 2
I am in need of the ENTIRE FRONT SCREEN ASSEMBLY (2 Sheets / Pieces) for an RCA 60" 4:3 Pro Scan Rear Projection TV.

This unit is a 4:3 NOT a wide screen.

The Service Model Number is: P60812BBLG2

Thompson Eletronices (RCA) no longer has any in stock. I am willing to pay a reasonable price and shipping for a screen in good condition or NEW.

I feel that most ANY 60" 4:3 Screen from most brands will fit or can possably be persuaded to fit.

One of the members suggested Mighty Shield @ 1-800-956-4485, I called them and ordered the screen on March 14th. They billed me and at this time I am still calling them about the screen, they claim its still on back order so obviously they dont custom make this screen.

Does ANYONE out there have ANY other suggestions of where to buy this screen from??????

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
One more thought..........
There HAS to be SOME COMPANY in the USA that can custom cut a compatable screen for this tv.....Thanks Again, Dave

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 567
Dave,
How old is the TV?? If it's an older low-def TV, it's probably not worth fixing. HDTVs are a 1000% improvement over the old technology, and it sounds like the perfect opportunity for an upgrade.

The replacement screen will cost you more than the TVs worth. Not to even mention other things that might go bad within the next couple of years. Sometimes old outdated electronics components are best disposed of because the new products are vastly superior in every way.

To me, fixing an old TV would be like paying $150 to repair an old receiver that you paid $250 for 15 years ago. Why not buy a new one loaded with new technology and features??

my 2 cents...

Ohio USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks Paul, on most things I would agree. But the tv's ois only 6 years old, I have always used it at a very low bright level, disasembled it every year and cleaned it including the main chassic (MB)

I have NO interest at this time for HDTV. If and whne this one dies I will move that direction. With very few hdtv channels and high prices I find the trade for a better picture - $$$ NOT really worth watching most all the programs S T R E C H E D out and squashed down like a bug or have 2 black bars at each end of the screen. Thanks tho for your input, iot was worth MUCH more than 2 cents.
Dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Heh....I realize it was slightly more than 2 cents.

I have one further comment though.....

There is a lot of HD programming currently available. Most of the primetime linups on local channels are broadcast in HD plus enough sporting events and other various programming to the point where I seldomly watch anything that is "NOT" in HD. I agree there are only a few 'cable' channels that are HD dedicated at this point in time. Even so, about the only time I have to deal with the black bars or stretching the screen is if Im watching the evening news. Most of what I watch is presented in a native 1080i and 16:9 format. Whoah...the difference is unbelievable!!

I hope it works out for you and you solve your screen problem.

Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 694
Dave-

Checkout this out:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5405572&type=product&id=1051806321 569

I'm not sure if it is exactly what your looking for, but they can custom make a screen for just about any TV.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks Mr. Lynch but thats the same company that I ordered my screen from and its STILL on back order after a month. The cost was $414 thats WITH shipping. I know there HAS to be more than 1 place in the us that makes screens.

Thanks Again, Dave

Username: Aaronwt

Post Number: 2
Dump the old set. My old 1080i HD set is almost 4 years old and I will be dumping it this Summer for a 1080P set. 90% of the shows I watch are in HD along with Dolby Digital, and the DVDs look much better on an HD set than an old analog one. Join the 21st century.

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
"join the 21st century"

Heh.........that made me laugh, and I was thinking the same thing.

To me, repairing an old TV is equivalent to having an old pair of dress shoes re-soled.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 8
Well SOME of us are on LIMITED INCOME! Those out there that are a disabled vet know very well the $$ each month isnt much. I prefer to fix my 60" set then when prices drop down so I can afford one without knocking over bubble gum machines, then I will buy one.

Theres years more life in my 60" and I intend on getting it. Thats whats wrong with this sick world today! EVERYTHING is disposable!

Wake up...Dave!
Unregistered guest
Dave...Dave...Dave...what are you doing?
What are you saying?

720P and 1080I are totally freak'n awesome!
A 50" DLP is under $1500 man!
DLP's DMD micro-mirror will last 30 years or more.
Get the sweet new technology already!
It will be the most rewarding monthly payment you ever made!

PETER FONDA
Unregistered guest
DUDE-CALL JANE FONDA-SHE MIGHT BUY YOU A NEW ONE.
SHE IS TRYING TO HELP THE VETS OUT,AND HAS A LOT OF MONEY WITH HER NEW BOOK-SHE MIGHT EVEN THROW ONE IN,WITH A TV-THINK OF THE PUBLICITY.
WORTH A TRY,MAN

Silver Member

Post Number: 595
Dave,
I can appreciate one being on a budget, but spending $500 or so to fix a TV worth much less seems like a silly thing to do.

Geez........you can buy a 60" CRT widescreen-HDTV for practically nothing these days, and spending a lot to fix a TV worth very little seems like the wrong choice.

If you want to 're-sole' your old shoes, that's up to you. Heck, you could probably buy a 50-60" HDTV crt for $1,000......so why would you throw away $500 fixing an old dino that will probably break down again before long anyway??

Ohio USA

Post Number: 9
Why do I want to pay extra to watch S T R E T C H E D squashed people for?? If someone wants to donate $1000 to me for the hdtv and for the dtv hdtv tivo receiever then I will be glad to get one!

I posted a simple question/request on this forum and everyone of you young whipper snappers go nuts! It would be nice to be rlling in cash and can buy the latest and greatest.

I would prefer a used 60" screen or the cheapest new one I can find to "get me by". Do a little research people and see what service connected veterans get each month! Just enough to survive until were dead and off the system!

Post Number: 3
90% of the shows I watch are in HD, The other 10% are in letterbox format which can be expanded to fill the screen without stretching or squashing or losing half the picture, so in either case they aren't stretched or squashed. If you were under the assumption that you would be watching people squashed or stretched, you are mistaken.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 10
Well I do not wish to argue with anyone, but I have watched plenty of the hdtv's on a std 4:3 broadcast such as fox news ect. the picture IS Squashed ans stretched and DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT. Plust most of the tv I watch is in std 4:3 and I would NOT pay extra $$ for that annoyance. :-)

Wake up...Dave!
Unregistered guest
Primetime programming on all networks is available in digital HD 720P widescreen. We watch SD with sidebars, not stretched, no big deal.
Broadcasters are being forced to make the move to digital by 2006. That means your analog set will be fed by a digital to analog converter if you want to see anything in the old format after 2006.
Your arrogant ignorance is only surpassed by your foolish need to waste more money on prehistoric garbage. The mind is a terrible thing to waste....too much pot, my man! Come out of the cloud!!!

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
Why is nobody helping this guy out with his question? I don't think the debate is whether he should repair the tv or buy a new one. I think he justs wants to fix his tv screen. I personally also have a 61" analog that I plan on keeping until it breaks. I'm kind of in the same boat as dave. I want to buy a replacement hd set that is the same size but they are too expensive. Maybe you guys can get 60" hd sets for a thousand bucks but around here (washington D.c. area) they start out at $2500 (not including taxes, waranties etc...) for the no name brand ones. In defense of the hd market, Dave, you should probably try another forum. These guys are hd fanatics (and quite reasonably so).

Reply to ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
So are you, Mr. ogbuehi, a fanatic, that is!
You know you are! Been on this board for a while now!

The screen is over $400, so, the arguement is valid.
When does it become practical to keep propping up an old standard that's definitely on it's way out? He may find a screen and blow a CRT right away! Then what...another $500 in the black hole?

We are trying to help him out. How about you?

Post Number: 4
Hmm, I live in the DC area and was just at Circuit City. They had a 60" widescreen Rear projection CRT for around $1700. You can get one even cheaper on sale or at Costco or Sams club. Now if you get DLP or LCD or LCOS Rear projection it will be around $2300(42") and higher for the larger sizes.

Bronze Member
Username: Ledge

Post Number: 15
ok, so I have a question. It looks as though I am going to have to replace the bulb in my RCA TV and it is going to cost $600 from RCA. Should I start looking for a new HDTV? I have a 61" DLP TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 602
I agree that it's a waste spending 'big bucks' repairing an old, low-quality, obsolete tank that will only fail again because of it's old age.

As for the 61" DLP....it depends on the TVs age. Based on what I've heard about DLPs with their $600 bulbs buring out almost immediately, I would never recommend one to anyone.

The only exception would be if available space is at a minimum, and the only way a large screen would fit was via the smaller setsize made available by DLPs. I'll never own one, but luckily, I dont have 'space' issues to deal with so a large 350lb CRT isnt a problem.

My father owns a DLP, but the only reason he went that route was because his room didnt suite the large CRT size, and the smaller DLP set-size fit his space better. That would be the only reason I could ever think of owning a DLP.

I think I heard somewhere that their bulbs only last 2,000 hours. If you leave your TV on continuously, it will burn out in 90 days.

I realize that people dont leave their sets on like that, but 2,000 hours is a very short bulblife.

No thanks.....I think the color and picture quality is better on a CRT anyway, but that's a debate for another thread.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Based on what I've heard about DLPs with their $600 bulbs buring out almost immediately, I would never recommend one to anyone."

"...his room didnt suite the large CRT size, and the smaller DLP set-size fit his space better. That would be the only reason I could ever think of owning a DLP."

"I think I heard somewhere that their bulbs only last 2,000 hours. If you leave your TV on continuously, it will burn out in 90 days. "

".....I think the color and picture quality is better on a CRT anyway"

Funny stuff there Paul! :-) :-) Many of the diehard CRT owners feel like you and seem to enjoy spreading rumours. Hard to figure but it does take all kinds, after all someone has to buy those old analog technology, heavy, bulky, difficult to move, light sensitive, expensive to operate, heat producing, convergence needing, outdated CRT's.

My RCA DLP is 18 months old with over 2750 hours on the first (and only) bulb. It is compact for a 61" screen, portable, bright and presents digital signals digitally as they were intended.

I also own a 65" Sony CRT and enjoy it but the expense of proper calibrations and operating costs will outweigh any number of bulb assemblys I might ever need in the future.

Give me a ring when your red CRT tube burns out and let me know how that goes for you, OK Paul? :-)

xvxvxvx

Northern VAWoodbridge

Post Number: 5
$600? The bulbs for the Samsungs, Toshibas, and Sonys are between $200 and $300.

Reply to Aaron
Unregistered guest
"Now if you get DLP or LCD or LCOS Rear projection it will be around $2300(42") and higher for the larger sizes."

More rumers!!!!!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=3029801& isbn=&pid=

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=4127734& isbn=&pid=

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=3762095& isbn=&pid=

Northern VAWoodbridge

Post Number: 6
I was talking about the B&M stores like Circuit City and Best Buy. You can usually get them for less online.

Reply to Aaron
Unregistered guest
Yea...sure...it doesn't make your case, though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 606
I disagree......

It's always the DLPs you hear about bulbs burning out overnight, and having service issues..... not CRTs.

Heck my last RP-CRT, I had to give away last fall in perfect working-order after 10 years so I could finally upgrade to HD technology. I spent a grand total of $0.00 in servicing that TV in 10 years, and rarely did I ever have to goto the convergence menu for tweaking. And yes, CRT images are better. Yea sure, LDPs are better if standing off to the side at severe angles like the TV salesguys always point out, but you'll have to forgive me because I sit 'in front' of the TV while watching movies........not 1 foot forward, and 10 feet off to the side if I were trying to bank a baseline jumpshot off the narrow sliver of backboard. The LDPs can keep their screendoor effects and less vibrant colors as far as Im concerned.

I dont care that my TV is big because I have the room for it. As for the weight??? Who cares??? It has little wheels and can be easily be pulled away from the wall if I ever need to change my wiring, and if and when I move, lifting the TV will be the movers job...not mine. Most of all.......their picture reproduction is easily superior which was my sole reasoning with sticking with the CRT technology.

Regardless to which technology you prefer, all have weaknesses. I just happen to view the weaknesses of LCDs and DLPs as being worse because theirs involve picture quality, and reliability.

My 65" HDTV weighs 350lbs.....I can deal with that(rather my mover will)because I never intend to lift it off the ground. Push it around to vacuum behind....sure, but lift, never.

As for giving you a call?? LOL
If I owned a DLP, I suspect I'd be in touch by this November since that will be my TVs 1 year anniversary date. As it stands now, you wont be hearing from me anytime soon.

Bronze Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 11
Hey I GIVE UP and will search another forum somewhere where I MIGHT actually get answer to my question and some help instead of being chastised for my beliefs or because of my limited income and lack of desire to buy a NEW HDT V!

Thanks for NOTHING! I wouldnt be REPLACING the screen if it werent for an accident! I WILL find a replacement screen and I will be laughing when my OLD CRT is still producing a beautiful picture 10 years from NOW!

AGAIN! Thanks for NOTHING! :-(

Bronze Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 11
Hey I GIVE UP and will search another forum somewhere where I MIGHT actually get answer to my question and some help instead of being chastised for my beliefs or because of my limited income and lack of desire to buy a NEW HDT V!

Thanks for NOTHING! I wouldnt be REPLACING the screen if it werent for an accident! I WILL find a replacement screen and I will be laughing when my OLD CRT is still producing a beautiful picture 10 years from NOW!

AGAIN! Thanks for NOTHING! :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
Dave,

IF you want to fix that old tank, call Jeff Spikoles' dad, because he's a Television repairman. He has an awesome set of tools and can fix anything.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
The argument is not valid if Dave wants to keep his tv. He can't afford a new big screen hd set but he can afford to maintain his old one. No offense to rear projection crt's but I think they're picture quality sucks. That's why I think they are so cheap. I own a 34" hd crt direct view which looks great. But they don't make direct view hd sets in the 60" range. Still haven't seen a dlp or lcd rp in the 60" in the sub $1000 range

JustHELPTheGuy
Unregistered guest
Dave,
Give the guy a break, he has a limited budget because he was injured defending the freedoms we all enjoy, now you are harrasing him because he doesn't want to spend more than he has to. I have a HDTV, but only because my analog died, otherwise I would still have analog because of $$.

If you are looking for a OEM replacement, try looking at www.bestbut.partsearch.com. At either site you will need the Manufacturer model #.

Hope one of these helps.

Bronze Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 12
thanks I'll try it and let ya know what happens
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us