Archive through April 06, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 41
Do you have your cable box set for 720p?

I set mine to 1080i, which the TV downconverts instead of the cable box...

This fixed that problem

The image is actually a bit cleaner in my opinion.

The JVCs D.I.S.T. is pretty damned impressive.

scott

Silver Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 110
RE:Do you have your cable box set for 720p?

Yes

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Split screen DVI to HDMI

I did not use ny Harmony remote which turns both the TV and cable box at the 'same' time.

I turned on the TV, waited 30 seconds, turned on the Cable box.

A-ok

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Split screen DVI to HDMI

I did not use my Harmony remote which turns both the TV and cable box at the 'same' time.

I turned on the TV, waited 10 seconds, turned on the Cable box.

No good, split screen!

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Split screen DVI to HDMI
waiting 15 seconds before turing on the cable box works. But this is too long even to program into the remote.
I'd have to make sure the remote is pointing at the cable box for 15 seconds.

Does anyone else have this issue?

i.e. Cable box --> DVI --> HDMI
Turn TV and cable box on together and get a split screen.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 195
I never turn off my cable box, I use the Harmony 676 but I don't use HDMI/DVI. I leave my cable box on Pass which 'passes' the signal that is broadcasted straight to the JVC. So if it's 720p, that what the JVC gets, if it's 1080i or 480p, that's exactly what is sent to the JVC. The least amount of converting seems to be more logical to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
What is this 'pass'?

re: "I leave my cable box on Pass"

When I use my harmony and press off, it turns off everything.
In my cable box user settings I use 720P.

Username: Dave_decoste

Post Number: 2
Here is the tilt issue I explained earlier. Does anyone else see this on their ILA? It is noticeable also with a widescreen DVD with the black lines on top and bottom or with sports tickers. etc. Is this fixable or should I return the TV?

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 42
Dave, try setting the cable box to 1080i

As I said earlier, this fixes the problem.

scott

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 30
Mr. Lynch-- thanks for those settings you offered to the board a while ago. I applied them to my tv today and they (surprisingly to me) made a nice difference. I had my settings all wrong :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
RE: "Dave, try setting the cable box to 1080i
As I said earlier, this fixes the problem. "

Sorry I must of missed that. I went back to component for now. But I will try that out.

Thanks!

Username: Snapper

Phoenix, Az

Post Number: 10
This may have been asked already, has anyone noticed a difference in PQ when using a set top box (cable or sat) via HDMI vs Component?
I was trying to compare SD and HD and I only noticed that the component was a little brighter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Do I have to do anything to 'activate' my manufacturer's warranty? (like is their a warranty card that has to be sent in? if there is, I think I missed it). Or is just having my receipts all I need? I did go ahead and register my product with jvc.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 196
Dave my cable box has display settings, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and Pass which makes the cable box pass the signal without any conversion straight to the JVC so the JVC can display it at native or upconvert on it's own. You can have your Harmony leave the cable box alone/on if that's a factor in your issue. I just don't see a need to turn it off really.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
RE:"Dave my cable box has display settings, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and Pass which makes the cable box pass the signal without any conversion straight to the JVC so the JVC can display it at native or upconvert on it's own. You can have your Harmony leave the cable box alone/on if that's a factor in your issue. I just don't see a need to turn it off really."

I looked quick and I see the 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i seetings but no Pass. I have the new Comcast PVR unit.

It's just the TV's native mode is 720p, it 'should' just detect a signal, in my casr thru HDMI and work, period.

As far as turning off the cable box, save energy. I just don't like keeping things on.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Dave DeCoste,

You have a problem that needs repair. How you want to handle it is up to you. I suggest that you send your pictures in to JVC. I had a similar problem after a tech replaced my light engine (I had the green fringing). When I notified JVC about this alignment issue, they replace the entire chassis in my TV. Now all is well.

Username: Stiege

Post Number: 1
Is anyone running the SA 8300HD to their set with the HDMI cable? It looks great with the component cables, but I can't get a picture with the HDMI cable. I've tried to set the jvc to digital, but the option is not highlighted in the menu.

Is there some setting on the 8300 I need to make to activate the HDMI port?

Thanks,

Jason

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Jason,

Have you selected the Digital input from the Video source menu on the JVC? Also, I don't know your specific cable box but is there an ouput selection in its menu?

Username: Stiege

I've tried to set the jvc to digital, but the option is not highlighted in the menu.

The manual says it needs a signal to get the menu to give me the option. When I plug the cable into the tv, the digital audio from the cable box hiccups, so I figure something is happening.

Anyone with experience with this cable box?

Jason

RaveD
Unregistered guest
Everything I've read indicates the 8300HD produces as good if not better PQ using the component cables. So I would save your HDMI output for something else, like an upscaling DVD player.

Nevertheless it is possible your JVC is affected by the HDMI "bug" that some people have reported, in which case it probably needs a service call.

It is also possible your cable provider disables the HDMI output; you would have to verify it with them.

Silver Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 123
Hey,

Does anyone know a good and cheap smaller HDTV? By smaller I mean in the area of 20"

I welcome any recommendations!

Thanks,
Ryan

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 14
If you have been sitting on the fence, BUYDIG just had a price drop since the new units are starting to ship. HD52Z575 $2100 delivered!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 650
Dave Decoste-

Your tilted screen is an easy fix. A service tech will have to do it, but it only involves loosening a couple screws and re-centering the projector. How do you have your PC hooked up to the set? It Doesn't look like you have much over scan either.

Jason-
My first Motorola HD box had a DVI output, but it was inactive. I got nothing from it. I had to call the cable company to get one with an active DVI out. It could be the same thing with your HD box.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 651
Ryan-

Are you looking for a 16:9 or 4:3 screen? With a 20 inch screen, it is very hard to tell the difference between HD (720p,1080i) and ED (480p). I personally have a 20" 4:3 LCD TV in my bedroom that displays at 640x480. It accepts an HD signal and downcoverts it to 480p. Sitting 4-5 feet away, HD channels look nearly as good as they do on our JVC. We paid just under $400 for it at Fry's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
This was probably a stupid newbie question to begin with, but fwiw-- I went ahead and called JVC and you don't have to send in any sort of warranty card to 'activate' your warranty. Just possession of receipts is all you need. :-)

Username: Cali_dreaming

Has anyone ever owned a big-screen NON-HDTV and then bought a big-screen HDTV? I had a 52" Proscan non-hdtv that displayed dish network pictures in crystal clear quality (like watching a dvd). After that tv finally died, bought a JVC D-ILA tv and hooked up to the same dish network signal, the picture was worse than watching VHS (sort of like VHS in EP mode). Of course I returned it. Now the dilemma is that no matter what HDTV I try, a satellite picture looks like crap. Now if only I still had my old bigscreen tv - i'd pay a fortune to have it fixed. Now I know a lot of you just don't even watch anything but HD anymore due to how bad SD looks on a hdtv. Well that's quite pathetic I think considering how few channels are HD. So let's say everything was broadcast in HD? What do we do with all of our mini-dv tapes? Or our laser discs or VHS tapes? Or what about the older dvd's? Unless it was a recent dvd, even dvd's looked like crap on a hdtv. I never had that problem with the non-hdtv's.
Too bad no one sells non-hdtv's bigger than a 40 inch now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Mister Tomasulo:

What was the build date on your unit from BUYDIG? Sorry if you already posted and I missed it. Thanks!

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 43
Cali, look for a big EDTV.

I saw one ad Sam's Warehouse the other day.

A LOT of EDTV plasmas are still out there 50" at least

scott

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Just Me-- It was December '04 build date. 179xxxxx serial number.

Be forewarned some of their customer service is a bit "jerky". Don't trust those guys a bit, but so far the tv has been great.

Bronze Member
Username: Hstraub

Post Number: 16
Ryan,
I don't know about 'cheap', but I have a new Zenith 23" LCD TV(16:9) that I love. It was $800. With my LG tuner, the picture is excellent. I originally had a Sharp Aquos 20"(4:3) that I returned. The picture was superior, but I couldn't live with a small 4:3 picture in HD. I am MUCH happier with the 16:9 TV.

Harry

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 652
Cali-

You can go with any HD CRT set. They still use the same technology that your old proscan did, they are just capable of displaying HD content. They will display 480i (SD) content, but can also do 1080i (HD).

Since new Digital sets are a fixed pixel display(usually 720p or 1280x720) they must rescale everything to fit that format. SD looks bad because the set must create information to fill the gaps. There is a lot to add when you go from 640x480 to 1280x720. Kind of like blowing up a photo. I might look great as a 4x6, but increase it to a 8x10 and you will beable to pick out the flaws much easier.

As for your expirience with the JVC, the saying goes "garbage in, garbage out". Analog CRT sets hide the flaws of SD signals much better than the never digital sets. I'm sure you would be very happy if you upgraded to the HD dish box. Dish also offers local digital channels, which are still SD, but without the fuzz. It looks very good for SD.

I personally find my Mini-DV tapes look just fine on the JVC. I don't own a VCR anymore, and I was too young and poor to get into Laserdiscs so I can't give you a good take on those dead formats.

We have Comcast digital cable here in Seattle and I find SD more than acceptable with it. It is quite good in fact. After watching many hours of HD, it makes it very easy to pickout the flaws of SD, but I still have no problems watching it.

Post Number: 7
Mr. Lynch, thanks! I was told by some salesmen that the HD CRTs would be better. The non-hd satellite broadcasts on these HD CRT big-screen tv's weren't very good either in the store though (I looked at Toshiba's, Panasonics, and Sony's). I don't know if I got two bad JVC's (wouldn't doubt it since I received 3 bad DVR's from dishnetwork before getting one where its harddisk didn't sound like a jet engine). But the 61" JVC at the store did look pretty bad but they told me it was because of its location in the store (at the end of the line of the satellite feeds and due to the splitting).

Scott, I looked at EDTV's - I thought this was going to be my solution thinking that its 480p resolution would allow the 480i broadcasts to look good - I have yet to see any EDTV that is bigger than a 42". I compared a Panasonic 42" plasma EDTV next to some noname 42" HDTV plasma - and surprisingly the HDTV showed a SD signal from DirectTV better than the EDTV did.

cali hatin'
Unregistered guest
I got me an old 8 track player, and when I hooked my surround speakers up to it I was not impressed. Why does it sound so grainy and crappy? It played fine when I had it hooked up to a my old Sears 10" powermatic speakers. The speaker cones tore so I had to replace them. The new surround package says "dolby digital" but I don't hear it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 653
Cali-

My parents where having the same problem as you. My Dad swore his 15 year old RCA 47" big screen looks way better than anything in the store. He didn't like DLP, LCD, LCoS or Plasma. They finally settled on a 52" CRT set from Costco. I've watched it many times and I feel it does an excellent job with SD, and has the ability to play HD if they ever upgrade their cable. Right now is a tough time to buy a TV. We are in the middle of a transition from Analog to digital and their are still may problems to be worked out. Good luck with your search!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Cali-- My local cable carrier will be all digital by this summer. Digital non-hd broadcasts on the JVC look far better than any CRT in my book. See if your local carrier may be offering the same any time soon and then switch when they do.

Post Number: 8
cali hatin', haha - very funny :-) Some older technology is still better than newer ones.
I do prefer the sound of vinyl over CD's (assuming it doesn't crackle and pop . :-) And my vinyl collection sounds awesome cranked up through my 6.1 Denon AVR. The speaker's aren't the absolute top of the line but they're each rated at 250 watts and cost around around $400 each. Playing CDs very loud really hurts the ears - the sound is overly compressed and the highs are excruciating.
Anyway, I hope you're happy with your 10 channels of HD. The fact is that many older DVDs that we have will not look as good on hdtv's. Try burning your mini-dv's to DVD and playing it on a HDTV.
The fact is that there is no alternative to HDTV sets if you want anything larger than 42".

Post Number: 9
Mr. Lynch, do your parents still think their old 47" was better than their new 52" CRT from Costco? I was going to buy the Panny 42" EDTV that Costco had until I saw a satellite picture on it at circuit city. Also considering getting a 32" tube tv for now to get by until I can find a big-screen that can show a SD picture without blurriness - but my living area is huge and the couch is 13 feet away from the TV, so I'd much rather have a 52" or larger.

Mr. Tomasulu, satellite is all digital anyway (well except when it goes through the D/A converter in the receiver). And I was using satellite on the JVC. It's a shame since I loved the look of the black JVC not to mention the weight issue compared to a CRT. Also liked the lack of glare and probably no radiation like from the CRT. I think maybe what it boils down to is that maybe the ones that are satisifed with the quality of SD on a HDTV never owned a big-screen non-HD TV before with a digital satellite feed. I had to get local channels from satellite (even though I have analog cable also as a backup) since the Time Warner cable quality in the neighborhood is awful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Mr. Lynch, going back to your comment on HD CRT's ... well all the tv's crt, dlp, lcd, etc. accept 480i - but they all have to scale it to their native resolution. The HD CRT's have to scale the 480i to its 1080i resolution also, right? So it's still going to have the same problems. On an non-hdtv bigscreen, the internal line doubler gives you a really perfect looking picture from a 480i signal.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 44
Cali, what inputs did you hook up to your JVC?

If you're using s-video, or the "yellow" analog video input, you can't expect the quality of what you're playing to look very good.

You really need to use component (rgb) or HDMI with this set.

Otherwise, the signal you put in will not be progressively scanned and upscaled to 480p+.

Without rgb/hdmi input, the quality of your signal will undoubtedly be bad.

Scott

Username: Hypokondriak

Post Number: 3
can someone post a link to Mr. Lynch's tweaks / settings? I can't seem to find it...

Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Scott, the satellite receiver (dish dvr-501) didn't have component output. So I first tried s-video which was horrible. I then tried the composite cable since the s-video does bypass the tv's comb filter, and it was marginally better. I used component input from my dvd player and had the dvd player in progressive mode.
JVC seems to be proud of its DIST scaler that will take that 480i signal from the composite or svideo connection and scale it to 720p - but obviously it wasn't good enough. I thought about getting an iScan HD+ if it would give me a clear picture, but I've heard it's only so-so with satellite input.
So even if I go with a non-fixed pixel display, the quality still seems bad (well at least at the store). I'm debating having one delivered and trying it out. Already am out $90 for two d-ila models so what's another $45. On the other hand, if I'm willing to go for another heavy tv (my previous 52" was around 300 pounds with its two 9" CRT's in it), then another option is to search the classifieds for an old used big-screen TV that's not HD.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 45
Cali, do not buy the JVC.

I't is definitely not what you are looking for.

I'd go the classified/Ebay route.

I'll bet you can find the exact TV that died on you.

scott

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Scott, I don't plan on buying it. I thought buying the smaller version of the D-ILA would make it better, but it didn't. There has to be some HDTV out there that will show a satellite SD channel well on it (doesn't have to be HD quality where you can see the pores in people's faces but at least the picture shouldn't be fuzzy). No, I'm not going to buy a 300 pound tv through Ebay. Maybe people never had a high quality bigscreen tv before that wasn't a HD so they don't know what they're missing.

Bronze Member

Mr. T;

Thanks for the feedback! Glad your happy with your new toy. And no I wouldn't trust anyone's C.S.! In my world Murphy was an Optimist! LOL

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 655
Here's my settings.

application/mswordUpload
jvc.doc (94.2 k)

Silver Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 124
Mr. Lynch (RE: 20" LCD)

thanks for your reply. can you tell me the model number of the 20" that you have. that sounds like a pretty good price. I'm not sure whether I prefer a 4:3 or a 16:9, but i think the price of the tv's will help me with that decision.

Thanks,
Ryan

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 656
I'll try to get the info on the set this weekend. I know it was not a major brand, but it looks good and was fairly cheap. We went with 4:3 because the main bedroom watching is the news and other SD programs on late at night.

Username: Dave_decoste

"How do you have your PC hooked up to the set? It Doesn't look like you have much over scan either. "

I have an older desktop with a Radeon 7500 card with a DVI port. I connected a DVI to HDMI cable just to better show the tilt on the screen. There is some overscan but I did not take the time to load the software to fix it yet.

Username: Defduane

I just purchased an HD-52Z575, an awesome tv, as most people on this forum know, but I've having some trouble with it. Mine will not power down correctly after is been on for more than an hour or so. The screen turns off, and then the fan turns off, but the blue light stays on, the lamp led reamins flashing, and then the tv essentially becomes locked up and remains this way indefinitely (even after 12+ hours). The only way i can turn it on again is to unplug it and plug it back in. Anybody else have a similar problem?

I've contacted support numerous times and everytime I'm told someone will contact me in 1-2 business days. Well that has yet to happen. Anyone have the number to JVC headquaters?

Also my serial number sticker (179*) is covering an older sticker (1698*). Has anyone else noticed that?

thanks!

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
I was going to wait until June/July to get one of the new JVC units. The 2 things I wanted/hoped for in the new units were (1) built in HD tuner and (2) possible upgrade in picture quality (mainly fixing the CA issue)

I only have Comcast expanded basic analog cable (no digital) plugged directly into my current 12 year old 27" tube tv. My wife hates Comcast (mainly b/c it cost $50/mo just to have cable), so she's not too keen on jacking up the cable bill to upgrade to digital cable, dvr, and Comcast HD service. I was hoping that getting the built in tuner would allow me to receive the basic HD channels through my current Comcast service (like FOX, NBC, ABC, & CBS) without having to give Comcast anymore of our hard earned $$$. But now, I've heard that the built in tuner (ATSC) won't actually let me do that. In order to receive Comcast HD, I need a QAM tuner. With ATSC, I can only receive OTA HD. Is this true???

If it is, then I'm not going to wait. The prices on the 575/585 have dropped dramatically. I may as well jump in and get one of these before they all sell out.

Bronze Member
Username: Snapper

Phoenix, Az

All - I used Mr. Lynch's settings, about a week now and I was off in left field on mine. I found that component produced a better picture. Scenes shot in very low light where too dark and lost detail with HDMI. I am still working on fine tuning the component, but very pleased with the SD and OTA HD and regualr HD signals.

I have the Directv H10-S receiver set to pass 720/1080 to the JVC. This worked best instead of the receiver set to native which then took several seconds for the native signal to process and JVC to upconvert, was not happy.

My OTA signal at times gets weak and goes in and out. Will be getting the Motorola booster and giving that a test drive.

The JVC is incredible and especially HD so clear and crisp, almost seems like 3d as the picture and colors jump out at you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Interested Buyer, even with a QAM tuner, you are SOL with Comcast. They scramble the digital signal, so you will need to get one of their boxes and pay for digital.
I have an LG tuner with QAM and we pay for the $50 Comcast service. I get NBC, CBS and a few (2-3) other useless channels with it, that is all. All the other channels are scrambled.
We are actually going away from Comcast and just using OTA HD. I will miss ESPN and maybe the news channels, but I can live without them. We joined NETFLIX and have tons of movies around to watch, and locally we get 17 digital channels with a basic UHF antenna. BTW, I have found the HD quality is better OTA than through the cable.
Personally, I wish the TV had a built in tuner, and I would have waited had I known it was REALLY coming in July. Overall, I am happy with the set and quality.

Username: Rejaak

I've got the 61z585, 2 months old, made in November but the ser# is just beyond the recall numbers. I've loved the set with the exception of a small "curly" that vhas been prominent since i set the tv up in my home. It s about 1.5 inches up from the bottom of the screen. I also just started having a problem with the set starting with a green picture and it sometimes resetting itself after turning off then back on. I am rather disheartened at this development but i'm calling my HH Gregg since i bought the 3 year extended warranty. Anyway, Mr. Lynch, would it be possible for you to email me the service manual? My addy is: rejaak@insightbb.com

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 43
Interested Buyer

Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to hold my noise to Comcast. I have the VIP package + DRV. It costs me $138/month (2 TV boxes), but I believe that it is worth it -- especially with the JVC 52z575. The VIP package gives me All of the channels + my broadband Internet.

I love HD on the networks, as well as HBO, Showtime and the others. Although not as good as HD, I find the on-demand digital movies to be great (most are only 4x3 though).

The dual turner DVR is fantastic. I have output set to 720p (some say 1080i is better with JVC upscaling to 720p -- but I am not so sure). I also have 4:3 Override set to OFF -- which outputs everything as 16:9 and puts BLACK bars up for a 4:3 picture (not the JVC light grey bars). I record HD broadcasts and then skip over the commercials -- I find that if I want to watch TV from say 8 - 11 pm, I can set it to record everything I was going to watch, start watching at 9 and still finish at 11 -- but with no commericals.

My point is, that with this set it pays to spend the extra bucks to get the digital/HD programming that Comcast has to offer. And I find the DVR as important as my digital amp as part of my overall setup.

Of course, in my case (with the TV in a basement rec room) an OTA HDTV antenna would be a bear to wire.

I know everyone likes to bash Comcast (and yea, I wish they were cheaper), but my service here has been great and I really enjoy the add-on services more than shlepping to the DVD rental store. Just my two-cents for what it is worth (I guess 2 cents).

Just wondering, I've tried Mr. Lynch's instructions on how to get into the service menu but for some reason it's not working for me. Does anyone know how to get into the 61Z585 service menu? Thanks for any help.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Fred,
I have the same TV and was having similar problems. It turned out, I just was not fast enough on the fingers. Make sure you have the sleep timer on the proper amount and then push the other two buttons simulataneously before the sleep timer goes off. I was not quick enough at first and it was not working for me until I made sure I hit the other two quickly after displaying the sleep timer.
Good luck,
Mitch

Thanks for the response Mitch but it does not work for me. If I was any faster hitting those buttons at the same time, I'd cause a sonic boom. lol.

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Thanks hstraub and sailbyte. I'm not really into Comcast bashing. Its just that my wife and I can't justify spending that much money on Comcast anymore. We used to have digital cable with HBO, Showtime, and all of the other channels. But we found that besides new episodes of the Sopranos and the occasional "new" movie, it really didn't offer us enough to justify the astronomical cost. Plus now we have a 2 year old, so we watch much less tv than we used to pre-kid.

What we want with this new tv is to watch dvd's in style and to hopefully watch some sports and network shows like Alias and Lost in HD. I'm only about 9 miles from where the local stations broadcast, but there's a big hill blocking my line of sight. I think that OTA will be problematic.

Here's a new but related question to my earlier one: If the new JVC comes cablecard ready, doesn't that mean that by default it has to have a QAM tuner? From my understanding the cablecard is not a tuner, but more of a descrambler for the digital signal. Therefore, the tv has to have a QAM tuner built in in order to deal with the digital signal. Is this reasoning flawed?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Fred Mertz,

Make sure you have the two slider switches on the remote set properly. I believe you have to have them on TV and VCR (double check that as it is from memory).

Username: 1wayner2

I have been looking for a long time now and luckily found this forum. It is great. It has probably been covered and I have been looking, but how well will the set work in a room that has considerable light during the day? One source is a bay window to the right rear of where the set would sit.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 46
Wayne, the set looks great with light behind it, but you want to cancel light hitting it from in front if you can.

scott

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 68
"how well will the set work in a room that has considerable light during the day?"

Wayne - I have windows on both sides of my JVC. The JVC is a very bright set, probably one of the brightest, so it does'nt get any better. I can watch my set during the day and it's fine. If I'm not too lazy, I'll pull the curtain and the light is less distracting.

Username: Ffb

Post Number: 6
last week i visited the best buy store in norwalk conn. and have to tell you that it is the finest i have yet visited as far as tv selection,set up of tv set and abundance of tv sets .
almost all brands and models.

anyhow the rason for this post is that i posted a few weeks ago inquiring about a sony or jvc
and after reading this page and posts i decided that the jvc had too many quality glitches and went for the sony. but waiting for the newest xbr to come out in 3 more weeks...........

BUT, at best buy i had the opportunity to compare the 52 jvc with the 55 sony xs series.........

these are my findings......after 3 hours of side by side viewing of the jvc and sony sets including other nearby sets not worth mentionning......

it was an hd movie from an imax movie showing of an indian kid in a dug out canoe in the amazon.

as seen from a moving boat the shore was kind of fuzzy on the sony.......
on the jvc the shore was very detailed...even thoug it was a moving picture.

and ,whenever there was a dark area on the shore ,it looked dark in the sony...
on the jvc the dark area was not...it became greens , shadows , and somewhat sharp in detail.you could actually see the branches on the jvc....only black in the sony.

only problem was when they showed a baketball game and the camera was following a player to the basket ,quick action ,the jvc ,at the very last moment as the camera panning slowed down to a fixed shot ,those last 5 or so seconds there appeared to be a cluster of like a spyders web all over the screen ,lasting for 4 or 5 seconds .
this i saw every time there was fast action.

on the sony ,the same looked a little better ,it looked like looking at the game thru a gauze.

overall the jvc does deliver a significant better picture than the sony...but ,having visited many hi end dealers who of course carry fujitsu (not discounted ),and mass merchandisers ,or small dealers they all point me to the sony telling me that overall it is a higher quality set and almost no returns or failures other than burnt out bulbs a year or so ago ,whereas ,they tell me that the jvc although liked by many like us on this site,has a high rate of failure and returns.and lousy service.

so ,the decision i will make is still in the air given that i insist on reliability.

i am waiting for the new jvc and the new xbr set to come out. or the new qualia set. there is one qualia set in a store in conn that i plan to go see before i head back to florida.

i tihnk that this is a great site.
but ,it the jvc has a cult like following which indicates a very special product but atthe same time ,too many excuses when the set goes bananas and apologies.like high end stereo in the seventies and eighties..remember the hi quality and problems of audio research,ampzilla and others.
still, maybe i am willing to put up with it.i have in the past.

just thinking out loud

Post Number: 4
Thanks tvshopper, that did the trick!

Bronze Member

Had an opportunity to check out a Sony LCD (50") this weekend with a dish network signal. Wasn't too bad - not nearly as bad as the jvc was with SD. However, the picture on the sony still sucks when compared to a non HD-tv and I don't think I could watch more than an hour at a time of SD tv without getting a headache due to the blurriness. So if I'm willing to spend $3500 on a Crystalio scaler, would i be better off with the JVC or the Sony?
I think eventually HD channels will suck on HD tv's also once they have to start compressing them all as much as they do with SD.

Cali Whining
Unregistered guest
Cali Dreaming,

Maybe you should change your name to....Cali Whining.

Username: Dawny99

Post Number: 9
f.f.b. - We purchased the JVC in October -- my husband and I have been enjoying the set. The picture is terrific and HD is amazing. When you see a black screen there are some greens but when the picture is on, the 'greens' are not there. Recently, we had the new wire put it in from the recall. The guy who came to do the work commented that the JVC is one of the better sets he's seen. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Interested Buyer,
We are in the same boat....I like DVD's and local programming and occasional ESPN game or two(which I do miss sometimes). We are 14 miles from the stations without direct line of sight and we get great reception. I put a Channel Master 4221 antenna($25 locally) in my attic and I get a great signal for local programming. I just leaned it up against the rafters aimed at towers and it works great. I use an LG tuner for HD.
As for the cable card, I don't know for sure.....I would call Comcast to be sure.

Unregistered guest
How do I get in to the Manufacturer setings, flesh tones have a purplish tint to them and the OS menue really dosent take me that fare. I had to replace the lamp after about 200hrs.

Unregistered guest
How do I get in to the Manufacturer setings, flesh tones have a purplish tint to them and the OS menue really dosent take me that fare. I had to replace the lamp after about 200hrs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Cali Whining,
Why are you so content with mediocrity?

Cali Whining
Unregistered guest
Cali Dreaming,

Why can't you be content with what's offered now with an eye on the future. When I purchased my set I had to make a decision...buy and enjoy now or wait forever to see what comes out next. I'm surprised that you own a vehicle. Didn't you know that there are vast improvements just around the corner? You're just a gripy, whiny, never happy kind of person.

Bronze Member
Username: Douga

Post Number: 34
Just my opinion:

If one believes that a market is saturated with mediocrity, then one has found the perfect market to start their own business in.

Personally, I think the technology behind these RPTV sets are incredible and anything but mediocre. Especially the JVC LCOS sets. While the JVC sets are not perfect, they are the best mix of technology, performance, and price at the current time. If the BEST is what you demand, just be prepared to pay $$$$ for it.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 69
"Personally, I think the technology behind these RPTV sets are incredible and anything but mediocre. Especially the JVC LCOS sets. While the JVC sets are not perfect, they are the best mix of technology, performance, and price at the current time."

Doug, I couldn't agree more. The picture I get is excellent. Small flaws and problems aside, if someone does not get a great picture they need to look at what they are feeding to it.

If one does not think the technology is incredible, try building your own, from scratch.

We have a great forum here, I would appreciate that guests to this forum would be polite enough to not name call the difference of opinions that they find in a member of our forum. This forum is best as a safe place to voice opinions, whether we agree or not.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 657
Hello everyone-

The tech stopped by yesterday and he replaced the recalled part "upgrade", and installed a new light engine in my set.

After my blown bulb was replaced a while back, I had a very odd looking picture that was slowing getting worse. During an all black screen the lower right 3rd had a navy blue look to it, the middle was a nice black, and the upper left sometimes had a green tint. It was only noticable after the set had been on for at least half an hour, but it had begun to bug me.

When the tech had the old light engine out, he found that some of the copper foil shielding had come loose and he thought this might be causing some light leakage. The new light engine did not have the copper foil and was a lot better built. I'm not sure when the change was made, but it is a much cleaner design. It looked very well built when compared to the original.

I've only had a few hours with the new light engine, but so far it has been perfect. Dark inky blacks, and no dead/stuck pixels. It is a big inprovement. Since I have a new light engine, I had to re-calibrate the set because it looked off. The only adjustments I had to make were with the brightness. I had to turned it way down to get the same results I had before. I'll post my new setting soon.

I talked to the tech while he worked and he said there was no fix for pincushioning or a tilted screen. You would need to replace the light box. He also said that if you have a dead/stuck pixel anywhere within the menu box area (press menu button) JVC will replace the light box. The chips are not easily servicable, so they just swap the entire light box. He also told me he really liked the build quality of the JVC and thought it was one of the better ones right up there with Sony. When I asked about Samsung he growled and said in broke english "Samsung junk, buy if you want TV to break". He said his shop use to do Samsung warranty work but stopped recently. He said they were tired of fixing the DLP sets over and over and Samsung would never pay on time. He said he would rather have no TV than a Samsung.

I'm sure glad we went with the JVC over the Sammy HLP 5085. Even though I've had 2 service calls, there has not been any problem that caused my to go without TV for an extended period. When the bulb blew I got a new one 2 days later, and when waiting for the "upgrade" and new light box I was still able to enjoy many hours with my JVC. The issues I had with blushish black corner was only noticable during really dark scenes and did not effect any other colors. White levels were perfect and colors were still vibrant and well balanced. I still would not trade my set for anything under 4k.

Bronze Member

cali whining,
I think you're missing the point. With HDTV's, we've taken a step backwards in picture quality with the majority of the content out there. The older TVs had much better PQ for SD and DVD quality was about the same as with the HDTVs. So with HDTV's, the only thing that's better are a few HD channels. I don't think that we should be paying $4K for a TV set and get crappy picture quality when for half the price 10 years ago, we could get crystal clear picture quality. And this is not specific to JVC - this is any HDTV.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 658
Cali Dreaming-

This is a JVC Dila threat, so please post your questions/experiences/problems with the JVC. I understand your delema, but I think you might get better help by starting a new thread that deals with your specific concerns.

I also have to disagree with some of your comments. Living here in a major city (Seattle) we have a fairly large asortment of HD programing. Not only do all the major broadcasters offer a digital/HD signal OTA, Comcast provides us with several HD options and a very clean digital standard def signal. I feel that the digital SD looks just as good on my JVC as the analog signal does on my 32" Mitsubishi CRT we have in our home office/gym. The Mitsubishi cost close to $1,000 back in the early 90's, so I do know what a good CRT looks like.

I also do not believe there is a "Crystal clear" SD picture. When compared to HD content, ALL SD looks like crap. There are sets that show SD content slightly better, but it is still SD. It is similar to comparing cassette tapes vs. CDs. I'd take the sound quality of a $20 walmart CD player over even the most expensive tape deck available back in the day.

Username: Defduane

How are you guys contacting JVC support? Everytime I call, a rep in India tells me that someone from JVC headquaters will call me in a few days, but no one has.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 659
Duane-

I always email them. They usually respond within an hour.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 47
Folks,

I've got to mention,

I had a max budget of $4000 to buy my family a TV.

I researched like a dog both online and in every electronics store in town,

and HANDS DOWN, the best picture outside of certain plasmas (I don't trust the longevity of plasmas, BTW) was the JVC HD-ILA.

When I saw Star Wars EP. V playing on the 52", I thought they were running a High-DEF feed to the TV, and was told that it was the DVD.

Calibrated properly (which can be done by yourself at home) and connected by contemporary means (component cables/DVI/HDMI), this TV can make any visitors jaw drop when you sit them down in front of it. Especially if you've got an IMAX film (Amazon, Beavers, Ring of Fire) that you can fire up from the DVR.

By the way, with DVR, my wife and I, who work 9-5 M-F, always have 3-10 hours of new HD content to choose from EVERY NIGHT. I've bought DVDs that we haven't even been able to work in, because there's so much on the DVR.

I agree with Mr. Lynch and 99.9 % of the people on this thread, that this is absolutely the best TV for the money, and I payed just a little over half my budgeted amount on it.

Scott Brooks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Saying that new HDTV RPTV's produce poor SD content is not accurate. I would say a more correct statement would be:

Viewing SD content on large format HDTV's (such as JVC's Dila) magnifies the inferiority of SD broadcasts when compared to HD broadcasts.

Personally, I don't think SD content would look very good if you viewed it on a 61" CRT based set either. The larger the screen, the more noticeable the 'flaws' become. Stand back 25 feet from your JVC and I bet SD looks pretty darn good.

Post Number: 5
First off, I would like to thank Mr. Lynch for the service manual. I was finally able to decipher the self check mode. Actually, I didn't need to decipher it as it was pretty obvious, total green screen! I made the call to HH Gregg for the in-home repair as I had bought an extended warranty thru them and the tech isn't gonna be here till friday! I'm a jumble of short-fused nerves since I can't watch my baby unless I break out my DVD of the Hulk. LOL! Anyway, I'm guessing its a light engine issue and I hope it can be fixed post haste. I have really loved this TV so far and I've always liked JVC products (I've still got a 26" built in 1988 in my bedroom). Again, thanks to the knowledgable people in this forum for their help. Excelsior!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Doug,
I had a 52" 4x3 CRT RPTV that wasn't a HDTV and SD channels from dish network looked like I was watching a DVD. Perfect pictures - sharp, no fuzziness, etc. My friend has a 60" Toshiba that's not a HDTV and his picture is perfect also for SD. I could sit 6 feet away from these TVs and the picture looked great. Unless it was a recent and very well made DVD, the DVDs didn't look as good on the HDTV's as they did on the non HDTV big screen tv's.

..-_--
Unregistered guest
Cali, your argument is hopeless in this thread. We are all happy with our sets. All you are doing is initiating arguments, even when someone offers you helpful advice. No one here agrees with you. Please go away.

Username: 4kilners

Okay, now that I have read just about every post in here on the JVC D-ILA TV's we are hooked on one. We are opting for the 61" in all black, model HD-61Z585. Anyone have the 61"? We were quoted a price of $2750. Any comments?? THX!

BluntChisel
Unregistered guest
Sears 3 year extended service plan is $399.
5 year plan is $599.

Is either one worth getting?

Thanks!

Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 10
Mr. Lynch

After reading many of your post I feel I am missing out on the use of my 61Z575 by not hooking it up to an XBox. Could you please provide an old PONG player with some guidance on what is needed to hookup a XBox or PS2 to the JVC to get the best possible results. I'm sure my Grandkids will Thank You.

Bronze Member
Username: Matman

Post Number: 33
XBOX Info!
Hi Robert,
Mr. Lynch is indeed our resident expert, but I'm going to jump in here because this forum has gotten me hooked - and I mean HOOKED - on video games. This isn't entirely a bad thing as I teach media analysis in addition to my production work and the games have given me more insight into media culture and my students. Many of them enjoy video games, so I asked them about games they liked and found some very interesting ones.

First, although many of my students have both XBOX and PS2, when they listed the games they found most interesting, XBOX had the highest number, so that's the direction I went. I originally purchased the box and used the video cables that come with it. This doesn't provide a digital connection. Frankly, I was still very impressed with the picture quality. However, the raves on this forum prompted me to purchase a component XBOX cable. I noticed that the color seemed more richly varied, but I didn't really notice an increase in detail, even though I could now set the XBOX output to 720p. However, since the color was better I kept the $30 dollar cable and went that route.

I also bought an optical audio cable to hook up the XBOX audio to my surround sound system. Great results! The optical cable was an Acoustic Research cable, and cost more than the XBOX component cables had.

A crusty, middle-aged guy myself, I remember wandering through video arcades in my college years just to check out the graphics. If you've ever had an interest in graphic design or moving images, these games will knock you out - especially on the big screen. The games are expensive, but you needn't buy them blind. Some video stores will rent them at the cost of a DVD. Check them out this way, and when you find one you like, you can purchase it used for a reduced price at a resale DVD store. There's one in my neighborhood that has relatively recent games at about 25% off the original price! The back of the game should let you know how many players it accomodates, and if it outputs an HD quality image.

After having this around the house for a few months, I've had to return to my students for advice on how to limit my playtime. (I work about 80 hours a week, so entertainment time is limited.) Several students told me that they remove essential game cables during the week to discourage the habit, and only hook it up again on the weekend. I hate re-cabling my set-up, so I haven't gone this far, but if I can't find my way out of the current chapter I'm on in "Legacy of Kain", I may have to resort to this tactic.

Be sure to buy two controllers so you can enjoy the games with your grandkids! Some games actually accomodate even more players.
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Ruffwood

Thanks Matt

I still have a Nintendo and PS1 hanging around here and hated the controllers. Could never seem to get the hang of all the little buttons. Do you have any recommendations on controllers?

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 48
guys,

there's a great site: www.gamefly.com
that you can look games up by system, genre, etc.
Each game has reviews from the top gaming sites, tips, walkthroughs (matt, look up Kain), etc.

The site rents games, but you can look up any game made for the current systems and access all the information for free.

Take a look,

Scott

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Cali Dreaming,

I bought my JVC in December 2004. My old set was a 51" Pioneer 4x3 non-HD (about 8 years old). The picture on the JVC is MUCH better than my old pioneer, but yet SD content had less noticeable flaws on the Pioneer.

I truly beleive this is due to the fact that the JVC just reproduces what it is given much better, and displays it in the clarity of 720p. Unfortunately what it is given is over compressed SD content from Directv.

We all have different tolerances for what we consider acceptable. To me, the biggest problem with the SD by far is the compression artifacts. My picture is otherwise very clear and sharp. Much more so than the Pioneer.

It sounds like to me that you are saying that the scaler's in the new HDTV sets are causing all the problems. If you have compared new CRT based HD RPTV sets, then certainly it is not LCoS or DLP that is the issue. I just don't think the best (and most expensive) scaler in the world can take a SD signal and make it look like HD. Garbage in, garbage out.

In my case, the pluses far outweight the negative.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
If you think intuitivly about what the line doublers are doing in the case of standard definition, they are in effect interpolating the interlaced lines and creating a line in between to display. In an SD Tv, that would be a black scan line, but an HD set gives an interpolated line, noise and all, which can diminish the poor quality further. This is the video equivalent of using surround sound processor on a noisy FM signal. The end result is even worse than the original instead of better. The video prblem is often compounded after the fact by edge enhancing "digital noise reduction" and "picture enhancement" circuits. I find that these are best left turned off if the menu allows it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 660
Here's a couple Xbox photos I have on my PC. These are of Halo 2, which is only a 480p game. After you try a 720p game on the JVC nothing else compares.

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 70
Robert and other Xbox interested JVC'er's -

Love the Xbox with the JVC, so I just have got to thrown in my 2 cents.

Get the Xbox, get the HD cable set, get an optical cable for surround sound, get some 480p or 720p games, make sure you have 4 controllers for your buddies and have all your friends over for game night.

Here's a few great, wide screen, min 480p, high rated games:
Mercenaries
Halo 2
RalliSport 2
Rainbow Six 3
Medal of Honor Frontline
Top Spin
Crimson Skies
TimeSplitter 2
True Crime - 720p
Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

These are fun games, and a blast on the JVC, with surround sound.

Here's a good link for finding top rated games:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/index.html

Bronze Member

Kris:

Go to streetprices dot com they will list all the price info you'll ever need.

Just Me,

Thanks for the info!

Chris

Seattlite
Unregistered guest
Chris -- I don't know if you have a Video Only near you, but I just called one here in Seattle and they said that they just received the new JVC HD-61Z786 (with built in HD tuner and some other minor upgrades) and its going for $2999. I'm gonna try to check one out this weekend.

By the way, since this new model has come out, I suspect that there should be some significant discounts on the 61" 2004 model.

Username: Ffb

Post Number: 7
as i posted the other day i went to see the 70 inch sony qualia today.
it is incredible.
70 inches and as sharp as the 34 crt hd they make ...plus,excellent color right off the box with pro setting and vivid setting.

better than the jvc ?

yes ,

but it sells for $13,000.

so,give me 3 jvc's ........instead of one qualia

but all kidding aside ,if you get a chance to see one ,do it.

Seattlite,

Thanks for the info. That price is from a local Video Only here in Beaverton. They have the price on the floor at $2999 and said they would sell it for $2750. If the new model is going for that should be able to swing a deal on a '04!!

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 71
"better than the jvc ?
yes ,
but it sells for $13,000."

Just having fun with this one, so don't take me too serious.

It'd make my stomach ache to blow $13000.00 on an idiot box.

$2200 JVC is better than $13000 regardless of picture, because I would'nt feel so ill.

Humm, 13 THOUSAND DOLLARS to watch the same junk tv programing. I think NOT.

Now, Xbox might be cool though. YES, a THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLAR Xbox machine. Anyone want to chip in? Game night at my house, every Tuesday.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us