What is your 4:3 set at for Comcast HD DVR ?

Username: The_toe_cutter

Post Number: 1
OK great site, I've done a lot of research and went with Comcast Motorola HD DVR DCT6412 (formerly Directv customer).
Anyway I was wondering about the menu options (turn DVR off and hit menu button). The installer set te 4:3 option to 480i. I figured 480P would be better choice for my Mitsubishi 55' HDTV widescreen. However every time I go to HD from SB channels, I get the yellow message at bottom (TV generated) saying check YPBR connections, etc.

However when I changed the 4:3 option in DVR to stretch...now all my SB channels show as 1080i on TV and I DON"T get the yellow message. I don't see any real picture quality difference in SB when I switch the 4:3 settings.
Anyway have some advice on what the 4:3 setting should be for SB to look the best ?

Man Satellite had SO MUCH better quality on SB. Yes I have the cable splitter hooked up already. Speed vision looks like crap now.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 93
The STB stretch mode is horrid. If you select "off" the STB will convert to the resolution selected in the YPbPr/DVI setting and will output black bars on the sides and you will not be able to use your displays stretch modes. Typically you want either 480i or 480p depending on how it looks and what your display can handle. There shouldn't be a big difference between 480i and 480p and you can use your displays stretch modes with either of these settings.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 59
Nice call Kdog

Username: The_toe_cutter

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply Kdog, I will switch back to the 480p or 480i when I get home tonight.

I also tried the Firewire cable (for HD) but didn't see any real difference in quality compared to using Component cables.
The motorola user guide said you get better quality HD with Firewire

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 94
The problem with firewire is you lose the on-screen guide.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us