Tape is stuck

Username: Marciamarie

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 1
The last time I played back a tape, it started playing too fast, for no apparent reason. (it was not on fast forward.) In my attempt to solve the problem I pressed the "index skip +" button on my remote. Now the tape is completely stuck. It won't eject, it won't play, rewind, fast forward or record. What do I do?

Username: Marciamarie

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 2
Hi, it's Marcia again.
I just want to add that my DVD/VCR is a Toshiba model# SD-V392SU. And that I already tried unplugging it for a while.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 870
If you can see the loading motor you can turn it till the tape comes out. I haven't worked on a Toshiba for awhile and can't picture the assembly. Combos are poor quality machines that are usually hard to work on.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I bought a Panasonic VCR Model PV8662 for $300 about 4 years ago which works well except today: while time recording it stopped, and when I took out the cassette to see what happened, I had to PULL it out as the tape was caught inside. I tried to roll it back into the cassette again, but the tape was wrinkled and kind of twisted, and it didn't get all the way into the cassette. This happened on several occasions in the past but then I was able to roll it back and view and reuse the tape.

I'm totally mechanically illiterate :-( but would this be something I could fix myself? I KNOW if I take it to a repair shop in NYC where I live, they'll tell me it's a serious thing and will charge me an eye of my face....

Please help and thanks ever so much! Adela

Silver Member

Post Number: 876
Nothing you could fix.

Username: Adela

New York, NY USA

Hello David and thanks for reply (I hope this goes to you as I didn't see "Reply"). I thought it was a little thing that I could, perhaps, fix somehow. So you are sure that there's nothing I can do, and either I should take it to a repair place or discard?

Thanks again. Adela

Silver Member

Post Number: 879
Unless kids stuck something in the vcr that is stopping one of the reels from turning, there wouldn't be anything you could fix. Probably cheaper to replace it than get it fixed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
Look inside it and see if there is a tape label or something inside it. If it's not something like that there isn't anything you could fix.

Username: Phtommy

Lansing, IL United States

I just bought a GoVideo DV1140 dvd/vcr combo,my problem is that i put a tape in, it "whirrs" for a few seconds and then stops. I eject the tape and it comes out, but the tape gets caught on the pins and stuff inside. I have to wiggle the tape off the wheels. I took the top off and the tape does'nt retract all the way into the cassette before it ejects. Can I fix this myself?

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
GoVideo=Samsung, take it back quick and buy seperates.

Username: Bugboy

I got an ac/dc 13" tv/vcr combo cheap because it didn't have a dc cord. I managed to rig one up through radio shack stuff. Worked great for about a year. Nice for long car trips. Kid forced a tape in and it got stuck. I got the tape out but now the unit is in permanent vcr mode. It tries to eject the tape, can't, then stops and shuts off the whole thing. I know the vcr is shot, but can i somehow disconnect the vcr and still have the tv work? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
No, the tuner for the TV is in the VCR. You might be able to pull the carriage out of the VCR and use the TV.

Unregistered guest
I put one of those VHS adapters for camcorder videos in my vcr--- it didn't expand the camcorder tape all the way across though, and now it's stuck in the vcr and will not eject. I tried taking the top off the VCR but the tape is really stuck in there! On top of that I had to break the fliptop off the adapter to try and pry the whole thing out, which didn't work. Now the tape is stuck in there with no top (or back, that little part that flips up and covers the actual tape). Is there any way it can be removed (the tape itself is badly crinkled up, so I'm not too concerned about salvaging it) or is this an irreparable situation? Please help!

Lotusflower1922@hotmail.com

Pat Ricker
Unregistered guest
I have a TV/VCR combination unit and the VHS tape is in the unit and won't eject. When I turn the TV on it says "T eject" and shuts the TV off in a couple of seconds. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anonymous

I have a 19 inch tv/vcr combo. My vhs tape is stuck in there and i cant seem to get it out. Thank you if you have any suggestions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1305
Unplug it and plug it back in.

momma's boy
Unregistered guest
i bought a sima copymaster so i could put my old vhs onto dvd. my recordable dvd player still says that it is copyright protected, what else do i need to do?

Unregistered guest
hi joshi here, i have got Sony DCR-TVR340 Camcorder, the casset is stuck inside, it ejects correctly but i could not able to pull the cassette out from the camcorder,, plz help me

Username: Realcat

I have a question i am tryin to record off of my direct satellite to my VCR and i have an adapter that i can can hook everthing up to and all i have to do it push a button to watch the vcr or dvd player but i dont know how to hook it up where i can record off the sat. to the vcr so pleas arnie help me

David can u help me????

Gold Member

Post Number: 1655
Connect the sat to the VCR with RCA cables and set the VCR to line. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels till you get to line.

Post Number: 3
thank you for your help

Anonymous

PANASONIC NV-GS17 TAPE STUCK

HOW CAN I REMOVE THE TAPE WHEN THE CAMERA IS DEAD-NO ELECTRICITY.

IS THERE A WAY TO REMOVE IT MANNUALLY??
Thans Marios.

RoseUK
Unregistered guest
Hi

I have a VCR / TV combo. I ejected a video and it got jammed. I got the video out but the carriage is stuck and wont go back. Could anyone suggest something? Thanks.

Anonymous

I have an older samsung vcr/tv combo. The tape is stuck. When I shine a flashlight inside, I can see something behind the tape that tries to get started, but then stops, it's behaving as if it's a skip on a record...starts, stops, starts, stops. I've left it unplugged for over an hour, plugged it back in and the little thing inside just keeps starting and stopping. If you turn on the tv, it clicks from tv to vcr mode at the same rate the little thing inside stops and starts. it won't play, ff/rew or eject.
What do I do?
thanks.

Anonymous

more on the samsung-
It's a samsung cxb1922T. I've taken the thing apart, but now I don't know what I'm looking at. I have the vcr component separate from the tv, but still don't know how to get in there to remove the tape. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Can't find manual on samsung site. thanks--no tv in atlanta!

Anonymous

help i have one of those combo vcr tv. and a tape got stuck in there and it turns of my tv every i turn it on.. how can i get the tape out. i figure that the tape it the problem, cause it won't eject.

RandynCarrie
Unregistered guest
IMPORTANT TAPE STUCK! Hi Everyone! HELP!
My 1994 Samsung 13in TV/VCR Combo (CXB1322) ate my tape and it will not give it back! It is a training film for my work and I really need it (today would be best). I saw three posts on your message board at the end of 2005 (two on Dec 12 and one on Dec 22,2005) but I did not see any reply or answers to them. I do not know how to force the tape out without breaking it and I've unplugged it and plugged it back in twice and it didn't help. When I plug it in, the screen flashes and the power fluctuates...the whole unit turns off then on over and over. The mechanism that holds the video tape makes no sound and does not even try to move. Can anybody help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2122
Open it and get the VCR part out, you'll have to unplug some plugs to remove the VCR. Find the loading motor and turn it by hand till the tape comes out. If the tape is wrapped around the drum, you'll have to turn the capstan motor to bring the tape back into the cassette.

RandynCarrie
Unregistered guest
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your fast response! I really appreciate it. My niece, Shannon helped me take it apart and we got the tape undamaged! (Can't say the same for the vcr unit, but who cares at this point! I think it's just a good boat anchor now, anyway!)

Again, thank you. It really is important to my work and I've got it on schedule!
Carrie

Unregistered guest
When I put a tape into my Orion VCR & push play, it starts & shuts off, then clicks & clicks & ejects the tape. It worked fine last night when I played the tape. As I tried different tapes in the player to no avail, it sounded like it was trying to eat the tape. When it tried to eject, it wouldn't come all the way out, so I pushed it back in & ejected it again. This time it came out, but the little bit of tape that was not wound in was twisted. Of course, this had to be a tape that was borrowed to copy & the owner is worried that something will happen to it. How do I get the tape untwisted? It also is very tight - not giving in either direction. What would have caused to tape to twist in the VHS cassette?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2204
It was partially out of the flap when it ejected. There's a hole on the bottom of the tape in the back middle, if you push the flap up with a pen, you can turn the tape reels. Be careful not to touch the tape. If the front side of the tape has any foreign material on it, usually grease if anything, I wouldn't advise playing it.

Unregistered guest
Why won't the VCR play anymore? It just starts, then stops & shuts off. If you turn it back on & push play, it will eject the tape.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2217
Can't say what's wrong without seeing what it's doing.

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic TV/VCR combo with a stuck tape. The TV works fine with cable. Is there any way to get the tape out? Can I hook up another VCR through the cable box?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2235
Unplug it and plug it back in.

Jerry in Dallas
Unregistered guest
Hello,

What a great forum for the problem I am having. David, I hope you can read this and respond. I have a few 13" TV/VCR combo units (various brands: Symphonic and Sylvania, but all look like they're the same inside). They all exhibit the same problem and it is that the tape will get stuck inside and not be able to eject. Then the unit will shut off. When restarted, the unit will attempt to eject the tape, fail and then shut down. I have taken all of them apart and have isolated the problem to the little motor and belt/pulley assembly that seems to run the insert/eject process. The common thing is that, when you advance the pulley wheel attached by way of a belt to the motor, it feels "tight" or "stiff". When I manually advance the wheel to the point that the assembly turns freely, the tape will eject just fine. Can you suggest a fix for this? I am thinking I might need to lubricate the gears or check for some sort of mechanical malfunction. Maybe I need to replace the drive belt for this assembly (although, in all cases, the belt feels pretty tight). Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2318
It's the mode switch. On the bottom of the mechanical assembly, by the capstan motor, there's a black switch, that's what's bad. It doesn't really look like a switch, it's flat, about 1" wide. I can tell you how to repair it if you want to try.

Jerry in Dallas
Unregistered guest
Thanks, David. I own three of these things and it's really disappointing that they have failed like this. By the way, they're made by a company called Funai. Sure, give me the rundown on fixing it. It's either that or buy new ones. Is the part easy to get? Do you need the model #'s of the units? Or is there any other info I need to supply? Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2319
You can repair the switch if you are so inclined. I dealt with Funai once and swore I'd never do it again, it took weeks to end up getting the wrong part. See if you can get the mechanical assembly out if you want to try to fix it. They come out pretty easy on newer models, the old ones are a pain in the rear. Be careful of the circuit board, they are fragile.

Jerry in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I guess, if I'm reading between the lines, you don't really recommend this. Two of these units have to be the older models (Symphonic). Possibly, the third one is a newer one. Fom a cost standpoint, is it worth it? Are the switches even available? I think you can buy new ones on these TV's for $89 or so.

Jerry in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I guess, if I'm reading between the lines, you don't really recommend this. Two of these units have to be the older models (Symphonic). Possibly, the third one is a newer one. Fom a cost standpoint, is it worth it? Are the switches even available? I think you can buy new ones on these TV's for $89 or so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2323
The switch can be repaired. When I say old I mean early 90s. If they are the hard to do ones, they will have a seperate power supply on the left side, from the back, that will connect with 2 funky pop up connectors instead of regular plugs. If they don't work anyway, then it doesn't hurt to try. You would need some grease for the switch, I use Radio Shack Lube Gel. You also need a small standard screwdriver with a very small tip or something equivelent, I use a cheap screwdriver from Sears that cost $2 or $3.

Jerry in Dallas
Unregistered guest
So, do you just repair the switch by lubricating it or is it necessary to replace it? Does the switch "stick" in a position and is that why the problem occurs or what? By the way, thanks very much for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2327
You don't need to replace the switch, it just gets corroded and needs cleaned. You pop the disc out of it and clean the contacts in the switch, first with a q-tip wet with alcohol, then lightly scratch off all the corrosion, that's where the fine tip screwdriver comes in. If you have a set of jewelers screwdrivers, they will work. Then you apply just enough grease to cover the switch and pop it back together. It can't be just regular grease. If you want to try, get to the switch and I'll tell you exactly what to do. PM me if you want to try.

RichardNorth
Unregistered guest
Hello, I have a Sansui TV/VCR combo and about 7 months ago the stuff I recorded on it started to come out completly jumpy. Now whenever I record something on it the same things happen: Sometimes it starts out jumpy, it stops but then it starts up again, and sometimes it starts out fine but as the tape goes on it gets more and more jumpy. Another thing is that it only does this when I try to record with tapes that are at least a year old, tapes that are new come out perfectly fine. Is there anything I can do about it without sending it to a repair shop and if I have to how much would it cost?

Username: Ecousticsjoey

My Sony camcorder (VX-2100) occasionally twists videotapes. I've sent this camera in one already to be fixed but it's still doing it.

It tends to happen towards the end of the tape.

Any theories as to why this happens? Is there a particular part that needs to be replaced that I can be specific about with the repair people?

Username: Beckers

Hi all, I have a toshiba tv/vcr combo with a tape stuck, similar to many posters here. I had a very hard time finding the loading motor, so for any others--it's a plastic white thing with grooves below the vhs tape. You just turn that until you can pull the tape out. Anyway, in the process of getting the tape out, i did something to the sound. Help???

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15370
Welcome to eCoustics Becky!

Is the problem sound is for the TV or the VCR?

If it is for the VCR, I suggest you to buy new cheap one at Walt Mart!

Username: Annestromberg

Kingman, Arizona United States

My JVC combo will not eject. I can remove the tape by hand but I would of course prefer not to have to struggle to do that. Any ideas?

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us