Samsung HL-P5085W DLP Question on Quality

Username: Navand

Coral Springs

Post Number: 1
Hi all:
I am new to the HD scene and have not much exposure. I did place an order for a new 50" Samsung HL-P5085W DLP, the one with 4th generation TI DLP Chip, pedestal and other features...

I have gone through a couple of forums and found mixed reactions and horror stories about the wheel noise, AV Sync issues and other inferior parts. This is conflicting with Sony KDF50WE655 rear end LCD which was initially my first choice, where there were all positive points.

I bought the Samsung thinking I did not have to spend extra on the stand, then Samsung also had the VGA compatiblity.

This is my first projection TV and also I am a new grad spending a lot of money in this. I would like to hear fair feedbacks about both the brands in deciding if I have taken a bad decision with this buy

Thanks in advance
NAV

Peas
Unregistered guest
Dear NAV,

You have graduated college, you are now an adult. You do not need others to tell you if you are satisfied or not. It is OK to grow up, be an adult and form your own opinions. In fact it is to be expected. Why don't you enjoy your new display for a week then post back and tell us if you made a good decision or not.

Peas

Anonymous

Pretty good choice for your first HD set, I've heard some positives and negatives regarding this Samsung model. A few essentials for this HD DLP set is a good DVD player, preferably one with HDMI compatability. Another would be the Avia DVD player so you can properly calibrate your set and remember for this set I believe the recommended viewing distance is about 10 feet. I've had the Sony RPLCD you mentioned in the past and I returned it simply for poor black levels if you can even call it black...more like grayish. -_- I for one love the design on the Samsung but I had a few other Samsung DLPs in the past and it went haywire on me, color wheel noise and blotches on the screen. From what I understand the issues for the most part have been resolved so like [i]Peas[/i] mentioned, try it for a week and see if you like it. Another good set I recommend and many other members here will is the Toshiba 52HMX84 & the Panasonic 50" DLP. Either Tosh or Panny should run you around $2400 starting, so let us know how you like the new set.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us