ACER AL2671W 26" Widescreen TFT LCD TV

what LCD TV to buy?
Unregistered guest
Just wondering if anyone has bought one of these ACER LCD TVs...the specification looks pretty good and very similar to the likes of Sony Toshiba and the rest, but... dabs.com are selling them for less than £600. It seems to have all the right bits - HDTV, DVI etc etc but why so cheap? Any comments would be appreciated.

ashmeed 2005
Unregistered guest
Acer is not a tv company. I'd think twice. Stick to the popular brands such as panasonic, Sony, Samsung.
They have the technology right.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Acer is the computer arm of BenQ, some of their branded TV sets are made by other contract manufacturers like Quanta, Inventec, AsusTek and Honn Hai Precision using top notch panels from Chi Mei Optoelectrics, Chunghwa Picture Tube and/or LG-Philips.

This might sound strange, but it's cheaper for them to order their own branded products instead of producing them, that way they can focused on contract manufacturing for other brands which is their core business.

All of these same factories produce handsets {as they're called} for Japanese and South Korean brands. So in other words THEY, the contract manufacturers are the ones with the technology.

As i mentioned above, Acer does contract manufacture for various products including notebooks for Sony, Apple and Dell., BenQ currently makes cellphones, portable CD players and a 20" LCD TV for Panasonic. So at the end you're only paying for a brand.

Do you think the Xbox is/was really made by Microsoft? or the Nintendo GameCube by Nintendo?

the architect
Unregistered guest
dabs.com, Misco and More-computers seem to be selling hundreds of these according to their stock levels, and Acer have just broughtout a 30" version (which got another good review in Trusted Reviews) and given Perrey Z message above - they cant be too bad for the price. There must be some folk out there who have bought one...so any comments?

SouthWest4
Unregistered guest
I have had one for a week and am extremely impressed. My DVD player has no DVI/HDMI output so I have connected via component and have been delighted with the crisp, vibrant picture. A steal at £580!

Username: Jamesbond007

Post Number: 2
After weeks of searching I also bought one. It is an absolute steal. The DVI port is (aacording to ACER) HDCP compliant which makes it an even bigger steal. One thing to note - DVI does not supprt audio. At the moment I have a great picture but with no sound as it apperas that in PC mode, the RCA jacks are disabled.

Please couls someone explain how they have got sound!!

Thanks

jim arm
Unregistered guest
i purchased mine yesterday for 999 cnd,roughly 444 lbs.couldnt b happier,but i almost bought the sony 42 inch for 2599 .....

Tony Catterall
Unregistered guest
I bought mine on Saturday, also for $999 Canadian, and all I can say is: "Wow!" Well, I can say a few other things, too, such as, "Go buy one". We rented Spiderman immediately, and were just blown away. Seriously, for the price this is an amazing unit.

Tony Catterall
Unregistered guest
Hey Jim, or Neil, or anyone else who's bought one: Can you make any sense of the section in the manual on PiP?

puneesh arora
Unregistered guest
will this tv work in india

puneesh arora
Unregistered guest

puneesh arora
Unregistered guest

Unregistered guest
I have bought a 32" unit the picture quality is great but can anyone supply me with the 3 digit remote code so i can programme my sky unit?

Tony Catterall
Unregistered guest
Mine has gone back to Acer Canada for repairs: great spodges of primary colour were appearing intermittently across the left side of the screen. Not nice.

architect
Unregistered guest
anyone else had any problems with the Acer LCDs?

I am thinking about getting the 26" (or the 32" if i can!)

Unregistered guest
I have just got the 32inch version and it is spectacular for the price - a real bargain. Can anyone provide me with the sky code number for the remote?

architect
Unregistered guest
i have been reading various reports about problems with signal being intermittent and switching between sources on the 26 & 32" versions - anyone had this. Or have they been down to set-up errors on the owners side?

Also the resolution - 1280x768 that actually works out to be 15:9 widescreen. How does that work when widescreen is generally 16:9

All from a rival forum (www.avforumws.com) I'm afraid but not many intelligent answers!

Thanks

Unregistered guest
what's a sky unit?

architect
Unregistered guest
its the main UK satelite operator www.sky.com

Unregistered guest
I've had my 26" for a few months now and it's amazing, both in picture quality, sound and versitility - especially for the price which estimated will increase shortly to match that of LG. Also mounted on the wall it looks rather sweet. Had a question though I often use it connected to my notebook using VGA port but of course I have no sound (Blast!). I see it has a PC audio slot on the bottom of the screen beside the VGA port what sort of cable do I use for that? There's no info in the manual... Any help greatly appreciated.

Username: Jamesbond007

Post Number: 3
connecting through the VGA disables the speakers I believe. Try plugging PC speakers straight in to the PC audio (3.5mm mini jack) slot. Alternatively if you want hi-fi sound you will need a phono-mini jack lead, leading from your hi-fi to display.

julie44munchie
Unregistered guest
Using one as a monitor and TV but the TV quality sucks, can anyone give me any advice on refresh rates or resolution or antialiasing. I have no clue....

Much appreciated....

Sunil_C
Unregistered guest
I just got mine from Dabs for £500, and am extremely pleased with it. For those saying that they can't get sound when connecting through DVI/VGA just use the Audio In connector. I've got mine powerbook connected via DVI and audio in and it works a treat!

keith martin
Unregistered guest
Can my fellow Canadians, Jim Arm or Tony Catterall post were they were able to get their 32" for $999. best Ive found is $1199. Every bit counts. Aside from price, Ive been looking at them for a short time but from what i can see, best bang for the blue collard worker.

Tony Catterall
Unregistered guest
Sorry Keith, I got the 26", not the 32", from Zellers. The Source (former Radio Shack) has them for the same price.

I find the 26" is big enough, although my living room might be smaller than the average.

The unit itself is still fine. It didn't actually go back to Acer Canada for repairs, as Zellers screwed up with the delivery and when I ranted at them they simply replaced it. The new one has shown no problems.

Parkdalian
Unregistered guest
just bought an acer Lcd Tv AT3201w does anyone know if there is a wall bracket avaible for this unit?

Michelle_
Unregistered guest
Yes you can get wall brackets for all of the Acer LCD TV's.

They are the same mounts as all the other bransa like Pana and Philips. Go ask the sales guy in the store you got it from.

Username: Dawnn

hi !
i just bought this 26" acer and im have it on basic cable right now, the channels are not too bad cause some are digital. im still considering a reg digital box.
i dont want to spend more $ on a high def box and fees.
question... if i bought high quality cables right now would this improve my pics or if i called rogers cable to pump through digital would this improve my pic??
thanks! OR other than buying/renting a hd box what can i do to improve my pic ? :-)

Steveval
Unregistered guest
I have just bought one but cannot get any sound at all. I have scart to scart from dvd player to TV and scart to scart from sky satellite box to tv. All pictures are fine. It is not on mute, the volume is up, the sound is switched on in the options. Please help.

Another Parkdalian
Unregistered guest
Hey Parkdalian, how do you like your Acer now? I just bought mine yesterday from the Bay and I am noticing some pixelation issues when the camera pans or when there is fast motion onscreen. Are you noticing this?

retired
Unregistered guest
Does any one have the 3 digit code for the ACER TV to enable me to use the universal remote that came with the LG Set top Box

DaveLacey
Unregistered guest
My wife purchased the Al2671W for x-mas and I have used it now for DVD, laptop (VGA) and regular cable (non-HD) and the picture is great.
$899.99 at "Up CLOSE" 3100 Howard Ave Windsor Ont.
I work from home (1-3 days per week) and now do so in front of the LCD TV instead of my office on my laptop. Great for DIABLO II too!

A bit of pixel/junk when switching channels
but none seen when watching live/fast action sports hockey(me), figure skating (wife) :-)
PiP a bit confusing too!

Unregistered guest
Hi Sunil_C,

I plan on hooking up my 12" PowerBook through the DVI port into the Acer AT3201W.

How is the quality on your LCD/TV set? Are the images stretched in anyway? Is it very sharp?
Please e-mail me by clicking my username.

Thanks!

Kylie
Unregistered guest
help i am geting two numbers at the top of the screen instead of one how do i stop this

Username: Dbcooper

Kelowna, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1
i to have purchased the 32 inch and have problems not. out of the box but after awhile on three differnet units. dead pixels on one,colour blotch on another and no sharpness value on anotherim starting to believe the first post.acers good for computers not sure about the television part

Username: Clinkavalve

does anyone know how to operate pip function?
all we get just now is a wee blue box aaaaargh!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Justfig

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 19
angus furball thuckwurzle lmfao. If you get a blue screen then at least its working. Does the tv have a dual turner? If not then you need another source such as a dvd player, cable tv, antenna tv, vcr.....etc. plugged into another one of the video inputs of the TV.. Gee's do these TV's not come with manuals? I know some read like a Chinesse soap opera but trial and error usually works for me. Look in the maual under PiP. Plus that half the fun of a new toy, playin' wit it!

JF

Username: Clinkavalve

ta much newton,but its too much fer me 2 do the trial and error thing,just wanna watch a splendid
little tv,gonna let the wife have a go hahahahah

Username: Mattylees__

Australia

I have found this LCD TV ex-demo model for $980 AUD and am looking to purchase it in the next week or so. I would like to use the XBOX in it too, anyone have any comments about this?

Username: Neotechni

I bought an AL2671W, and I have a problem with it. Aside from the piss poor analog tuner (which I don't use much so ok) when used in PC mode, the top left corner (think like a page, folded) is one frame behind the rest of the screen and it's really annoying considering what I paid for it. Am I the only one with this problem? I just switched to a DVI cable, my last hope of fixing the problem and it's still doing it. Help!

never mind, it was the the video card. though my xbox has yellow lines... (my ps2 doesnt even when using the same cable)

Username: Kfonseka

Vancouver, BC CANADA

I've had my Acer 32" for 4 months now and it's amazing, both in picture quality, sound and versatility. I have hooked up a satellite receiver the pitcher quality is stunning with the component inputs. Also I hooked up the DVD player with component inputs and I have really satisfied for the money that I have paid for the TV. I do not see any difference between the other brands and Acer. Basically they have same functionality and quality.

Anyone got the AV1 and AV2 ports to work? I tried plugging RCA cables into them but all I get is black. And when I cycle through AV on the remote it doesn't even go to them, I have to manually go to it in the menu

Username: Zoetrope

Bought this tv and even though it has it's negative aspects, I love it to death.

I was wondering if someone could tell me, specifically, which cable I would need to connect my Toshiba dvd player to the TV? Normally, I'd use the scart lead but the Toshiba supports progressive scan and HDMI so I'm wanting to know which cable to use to connect the HDMI (from the dvd) to the DVI (of the monitor).

Got one from ebuyer which is the wrong connection (quickfind : 88445, if you want to have a look) so if anyone can link me to the right cable then it'd be appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us