How would I connect my DVD-Recorder?

JRT
Unregistered guest
I am thinking about purchasing a DVD-Recorder, but i have been put off because my current Philips TV has only two SCART sockets which are both in use.

If I decide to get a DVD-Recorder I will need to connect the following equipment together:
- TV
- VCR
- SkyBox
- DVD Recorder

I would like to be able to record from both the normal TV channels and Sky, onto video or DVD. I have no need to transfer my old videos to DVD or DVD to video.

I currently am able to view what on Sky on other TVs we have upstairs through the aerial, if possible could you also explain how to hook this up with the new setup. Is it possible to be able to switch this some how so we can choose between a video, dvd or sky upstairs?

Thanks for your advice, (anticipating your responses).
JRT

JRT
Unregistered guest
sorry - i changed what i wrote and pressed the button but it has come up twice.
sorry.
JRT

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 425
There are several ways to do this. However, without more information on the connectivity options of your equipment, it would take too long to set out all possibilities. You need to fine tune your question.

Ty S
Unregistered guest
I want to hook up my DVD Recorder to my VCR and DBS. I have already played and recorded movies using the DVD thru the TV and VCR with no problem. How can I hook-up the DVD to my satellite box for watching and recording DBS programming. Thank You

JRT
Unregistered guest
OK, here are the connections that each device has...

Philips TV
- 2 SCART Sockets
- Aerial

Philips VCR (630)
- 2 SCART Sockets
- Aerial
- RF Out

Grundig SkyBox
- 2 SCART Sockets (VCR and TV)
- Aerial In
- RF Out

DVD Recorder
I have not looked into these at great detail yet as i have been put off as i thought i would have great difficulties in connecting one with my other equipment. I assume it would have 2 SCART sockets. Hopefully you guys will know the common connections for these.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 866
Ty S, use an s-video cable or RCA jacks to one of the line inputs, then set the recorder on whatever input you used.

Unregistered guest
i have a grundig skybox and cannot find Astra; how can I be sure the skybox works? it seems not to recive any signal from the dish. anyone knows where to find the manual ?
js@busl.com

Unregistered guest
CAN ANYONE HELP ME???I HAVE DISHNETWORK AND A COMBO DVDRECORDER AND VCR. THE WAY MY SON HOOKED IT UP, WAS DIRECTLY FROM SATELLITE, AND FROM THERE TO THE TV. THIS MEANS THE DVD/VCR HAS TO BE ON ALL THE TIME OR I DON'T HAVE ANY TV RECEPTION. I THINK THIS IS WHAT CAUSED A PROBLEM EVENTUALLY WITH MY DVD. IT NOW WON'T WORK. THE INSTRUCTIONS WITH THE COMBO JUST SHOWS EITHER ANTENNA OR CABLE. DOESN'T MENTION SATELLITE.
PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN. THANKS.
E-MAIL ME AT sherrycov@cox.net as well as on the board. sherry

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 801
Sherry, how many and what type of inputs are available on your tv?

Username: Balram

BirminghamEngland

Post Number: 1
can someone help
i need to connect phillips tv to phillips vide and phillips dvd player and sky digibox
thanks

Username: Netlove

Post Number: 2
hi i just bought, matsui dvdr100,
i want to be able to record programs from skybox onto my dvd cds, i tried connecting the tv to the dvd and the skybox to the dvd,but when i turn off the dvd i could the sky works perfectly,but when i turn on.. the dvd , i cant get any programme from skybox no matter how many times i search. can u please HELP ME RECORD SKY PROGRAMS FROM SKYBOX TO MY MATSUI DVDR.
2)CAN U HELP ME MAKE MATSUI DVDR1OO REGION FREE.

Stae
Unregistered guest
How do I connect my DVD to my satellite and my TV? My TV does not have the red, yellow, or white video inputs(my satellite has).When I connected the red, yellow, and white cords to my satellite then to my DVD, the screen on my TV was just blue. I have one long, black cord that goes from my TV to my satellite.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1700
You need an RF modulator. You're throwing away the audio/video quality the satellite and DVD are capable of using the RF input. Consider buying a new TV if you can afford it.

Username: Cheeks

Can you help. I am trying to connect my dvd recorder to the tv and satellite. I just get a fuzzy picture when recording satellite. I've followed the instructions but still cannot get a good picture for satellite recording. How can i sort this???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1703
Connect the satellite with an s-video cable or RCA cables, preferably s-video, and set the recorder on whatever input you used. If using s-video, you still need RCAs for audio.

Unregistered guest
i have a dvdvideoplayer/recorder and i inserted a disc ;dvd+rw and the window asked me to initialise the disc but it seemed to have frozen and i cant initialise it nor eject the didc. What do i do to remedy this

Gold Member

Post Number: 1877
Unplug it and plug it back in.

Username: Sidgwen

Lampeter, Ceredigion Wales uk

Post Number: 2
Sorry david Massey but it didn't work . The problem remains

Gold Member

Post Number: 1878
Hold the open/close button for 30 seconds or so, if that doesn't work, unplug it and be pressing the open/close when you plug it in, again hold for 30 seconds or so.

Username: Sidgwen

Lampeter, Ceredigion Wales uk

Post Number: 3
sorry David did as suggested but problem still exists

Gold Member

Post Number: 1880
Most machines have a way to be reset, you would have to contact the manufacterer to find out how.

random name as my real name is taken!=
Unregistered guest
I have a 10 year old TV with only aerial socket that i want to connect to a projector with most (probably all) of the modern connections. Is there any cable with aerial on one end and a newer type of connection on other?

John Stevenson
Unregistered guest
My Panasonic DMR EH50 will not let me record Sky satellite channels-except BBC 3,4 & ITV 2,3,4. It shows an on-screen message-"Copying of this material is not allowed" Sky say that it is a copywrite protection facility inbuilt to the recorder. Is there a way to evercome this or does it mean getting a different DVD recorder?

Username: Quennie

Fruitland Park, FL USA

I would like to know how to hook up a DVD recorder to my Dish satellite and tv. What gets hooked up to what? I know my problem is that I'm hooking up the wrong wires. If someone has a diagram that would be great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1948
Connect the sat to the recorder with s-video or RCAs, and set the recorder on whatever input you used. Connect the recorder to the TV with, in order of preference, component, s-video, RCAs, then set the TV on whatever input you used.

Unregistered guest
how can i connect dvd recorder to my tv
i want to run a tv,ntl cable,and surround sound,any ideas or pics on were the scart leads go and which is best way to do it
many thanks keith

Gimp Nasty
Unregistered guest
Ello all,

There seem to be a lot of ppl on this site going through the same problems as I did regarding connection of a DVD RECORDER to your excisting set-up.
Well The following set-up works for me.........

* The first scart lead will go from the Sky box scart socket marked "TV" the other end will connect into your "AV2" or "IN" socket on your DVD RECORDER.

* The second scart lead will go from DVD RECORDERS "AV1" or "OUTPUT" socket into the any scart socket on your "TV".

*This will allow you to RECORD Sky onto your DVD RECORDER.

* Plug the third scart lead into the back of your Video recorder scart socket marked "AV1" & then into the scart socket at the back of the Sky Box Marked "VCR".

* This will allow you to tape from Sky to.

* Your external Ariel will then go into the back of your Sky box marked "Ariel in" then out & into the "Ariel In" on the back of your DVD RECORDER marked "Ariel In" then from there into your TV.

Hope this helps you all install your New DVD Recorders you get from Santa on Christmas Morning......LoL.

jimcat67
Unregistered guest
I have paid Curry's £80-00 to set up my LG Tv and Recorder and they have put the leads in the wrong sockets. Thanks to Gimp Nasty It's fixed in seconds.
Jimcat67

Username: Whit262

i have a cyberhome dvd recorder-direct tv satellite receiver and tv with only a input for coaxial style cable in the back for input. would also like to hook my ps2 up also have followed the directions in manual and when i try to tune to channel to record from satellite i get no picture or signal need hookup help please...thanks in advance

Unregistered guest
Nasty Gimp gets me only part of the way there. Yes, I can record what channel I can see on the sky box. I cannot yet direct the DVD recorder to record a channel other that the one that the Sky box is showing on the TV. Thus, I cannot record one program and watch another.

This problem was what brought me to this forum in the first place.

Is this the consequence of using a Sky box to capture a TV signal. It will not deliver the same signal width to the tuner as a terrestial aerial, so it cannot let the DVD recorder record one channel, while letting the TV show another?

marion wood
Unregistered guest
have connected dvd to tv, digi box and vcr, but digi box picture coming and going?? there is only one scart on tv so have used an ext. box. Any suggestions why the digi picture is not holding?

Unregistered guest
I have a modern TV with 2 scart sockets, a video machine and have just bought a DVD recorder. I am not at all sure where to make the connections. I did , at one point, have both video and DVD working but can't remember what I did. The biggest problem is that when I play some DVD's, not all, I only get one audio track, ie I have background sound normally but no speech. Can anyone help me.

derek milton
Unregistered guest
Have t v a daewoo dvd+vcr and abox for cable tv cant record from tv as all that my recorder picks up are the stations from is the cable

Anonymous

I have a Toshiba TV, a Atlantic Scientific cable box and a Panasonic combo VCR and DVD recorder.
I have connected as instructed in the book from Panasonic. I can view VCR and DVD but I can not record. How do I connect it all so that I can watch tv and record an other station to vcr or dvd?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2214
If it's digital cable, you can't record a digital channel and watch another digital channel. You can record a digital channel and watch an analog channel or vice versa. Split the incoming cable to the box and combo, then connect the box to the combo with s-video or RCAs. Set the combo to line to record from the box and use the tuner in the combo to record analog channels. You can run coax from the box to the TV so you don't have to have anything else on to watch the box.

Unregistered guest
Dear Anyone
I have a PHILIPS 42PF9986 Television LCD. And wish to download High Definition video from a SONY HDR-HC1E.Camcorder The Tele has a DVI input, and the camera has the following connections, HDV/DV. COMPONENT OUT. and AV OUT. Could anybody out there please tell me the proper way to conect the above setup and what are the best cables to use. Hope someone can put me in the picture [Forgive the pun.] The manufacturers don't seem to want to help HELP Dave

Les
Unregistered guest
My Sky repairman has replaced my sky+ box and now I am having problems with the connections etc.
I have - video with 2 scarts
dvd player 1 scart
sky+ 2 scart + 2 rf out
TV scart + rf in but before the TV the rf signal is split and runs upstairs. This includes the sky signal.
Now previously when the dvd was switched on it overrode everything. I could watch terrestrial tv downstairs and sky would be on upstairs. This doesn't work anymore - now when sky box is on I get it on the big tv and I can't get sky at all upstairs.
Any ideas because the thought of having to watch footie all the time is ****!!!***

Jules01
Unregistered guest
I wonder if anybody can help me with my set up....Am considering buying a Philips dvd recorder and would like to connect it to a

Tv - 2 scart
Set top box - 1 scart
Vcr - 2 scarts

I have a scart 3 way block.

I dont need to record from my vcr on to dvd recorder.

Hope somebody can help as its getting me all confused!Thanks in advance.

Les
Unregistered guest
Mine all sorted - had to retune the TVs!

borias
Unregistered guest
Sorry for this re-post. But I still cant find anyone who can sort out the best connection for my Philips LCD Television and a correct cable to show High definition images from a SONY HDR-HC1 camcorder.I live in the UK but no one here wants to know about it, It's a case of once you have bought the goods, tough. By the way the Telivision has a DVI input, and will allow the following display modes, 1920x1080i and 1280x720p.
Help please, you are my only hope. Dave

Unregistered guest
Can anyone please advise me on this?--
I have a freeview box and matsui DVDR100 and find that I can only record the channel I am watching -- if I change channel I just get a recording of the new channel!!! I unfortunately lost the manual before sorting it.
Can anyone PLEASE!!!
tell me how to record other channels or --
tell me how to get a new manual --------- I cannot find their web-site.
Many thanks
Roger

Unregistered guest
Good morning

I have just been given a DVD recorder as a present but am having problems connecting it up with my existing video equipment..It is a Sony RDR-HX510.

Could someone please explain the best way to connect it up and tune it in.

I have
a Matsui video recorder
A Sky box (Basic -4 years old)
A Philips Tv with 2 scart connections (4 years old).

If possible I would like to be able to record Sky and terrestrial TV onto DVD and play video as well as transfering video material onto dvd or the hard drive.

Any help will be most appreciated as I am a novice at this and the manual is giving me a headache.

cheers

Keith

Unregistered guest
I have a TV, VCR, DIGI BOX, DVD Player, Computer with TV Card, and old Satelite system.
What order should I connect the aerial cable to them (apart from DVD Player)

Anonymous

hi. I'm havin loads of probs with new tv etc. just bought 50" sony hd tv (kdf-e50a12u), hav sky box (thomson)and also sony dvd recorder/surround sound (rdr gx210). prob is when we watch sky tv through the dvd player, the picture isnt as good as through the sky box (so when it comes to recordin stuff-it's poor picture) I've got 2 gold scarts and also got componant leads goin from tv to dvdr. all i want to know is how to connect each thing and what leads etc we need if any.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us