Sony Grand Vega 70 inch LCD

Unregistered guest
I have a 2004 model, its been used maybe 20 times, within the first five uses of this TV, the screen started to "white out". It would go extrememly white and bright all over, although you could still hear the audio on it. Turn it on, turn it off, it still does it.

I called Sony but the problem I have is that although I bought it in Circuit City in Miami, I live overseas and therefore warranty doesn't cover it and where I live there doesn't seem to be any engineers capable of dealing with the problem. It cost me $7,000 plus shipping and duty and to get it back to the state would cost a load more.

Has anyone else come across this problem and can tell me what it is? I need to get this fixed, the TV is sitting here doing nothing, although when you bang on it a bit (not really a good thing to do I know) it wil sometimes work again.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Where do you live that your local Sony Company doesn't offer the Wega LCDs microdisplay line-up?

That was a bad decision, buying something like a 70" TV set in one country and shipping it to another.

I'm affraid that you're just going to have to paid to ship it back to the U.S. for warranty service and pay once again to ship it back to you.

Sony or any other manufacturer will NOT cover the cost of shipping products back to the costumer if it's outside their warranty's territory.

Neil Burrowes
Unregistered guest
Hi thanks for the reply

The TV was actually bought for business purposes but turned out to be unsuitable as it was too heavy, thats why we have ended up with it. we live in Jamaica and unfortunately most thinks like this "luxury items" have to be shipped from the states.

I don't want them to pay to ship it back, in fact I would gladly pay for a technician to fly down here and repair it for me, its just a huge thing to ship it back and as I suspect it was damaged during shipping, sending it back would risk more damage.

the LCDs Microdisplay line up...from the sound of it to me, it seems like its kind of similar to what you do to your printer when you do a print alignment, does it require any new parts? Should I let a TV guy that knows about LCD projection TVs take a look at it or still try find a Sony tech who wants a weekend in Jamaica? Usually we suck up the cost and buy new but this was just too much money to do that.

Neil Burrowes
Unregistered guest
Hi thanks for the reply

The TV was actually bought for business purposes but turned out to be unsuitable as it was too heavy, thats why we have ended up with it. we live in Jamaica and unfortunately most things like this "luxury items" have to be shipped from the states.

I don't want them to pay to ship it back, in fact I would gladly pay for a technician to fly down here and repair it for me, its just a huge thing to ship it back and as I suspect it was damaged during shipping, sending it back would risk more damage.

the LCDs Microdisplay line up...from the sound of it to me, it seems like its kind of similar to what you do to your printer when you do a print alignment, does it require any new parts? Should I let a TV guy that knows about LCD projection TVs take a look at it or still try find a Sony tech who wants a weekend in Jamaica? Usually we suck up the cost and buy new but this was just too much money to do that.

Unregistered guest
PICTURE PROBLEMS - I have a fairly new Sony Grand Vega LCD Projection TV but have never been able to get HD to work. The current picture on all channels (even HD ones) is lousy - blurry, somewhat pixelated, and just not clear. I hooked up the cables exactly as shown in the manual, but nothing seems to work. It doesn't make sense to have this tv when I get a better picture on my 14" Panasonic from 1995. Any suggestions to help me get my HD working?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us