Emerson DVD Recorder

Gloria
Unregistered guest
I bought an Emerson EWR10D4 dvd recorder and I can't find anything in the manuel to tell me what kind of disc's to use. At the store they have different speed's. Can anyone help me on this topic?

Peas
Unregistered guest
The search engine is your friend:

http://www.emersonaudiovideo.com/products/dvd/ewr10d4.html

Took 10 seconds out of my life instead of yours, I hope you feel guilty.

Peas

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 814
Lower speeds are usually better with standalones, some of them have problems with 8x discs. Be sure to get the right format, DVD-R or DVD+R, whichever it uses.

Gloria
Unregistered guest
Thank you David. As for Peas that website did not help me. Same as manuel, didn't understand. If you can't be nice don't write anything. You should feel guilty not me.

Anonymous

DAVID CAN YOU HELP... I HAVE THE EMERSON EWR20V4
DVD\VHS RECORDER ( PLEASE STOP LAUGHING) DO KNOW OF OR HAVE THE CODES TO GET MINE REGION FREE? THANX, DWAYNE (DCASS@GTE.NET)

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
Don't know any region free codes, never had any need for them.

Unregistered guest
I have an Emerson EWR20V4 VHS/DVD recorder. The first DVD that I copied to worked fine in my other DVD players. I must have done something different as the next ones show incorrect DVD in the other player. Should I be recording in VR or Video mode? Any ideas? Thanks. Tommy

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
Video mode, VR discs won't play back in most players. Are you finalizing the discs?

Unregistered guest
Yes, I finalized the discs. The last one I did that didn't work was in video mode, but it didn't make a title list like the first one did. Should I be formatting the discs before recording. I was under the impression that once they were initialized, that they didn't have to be formatted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 839
You don't say what kind, brand or speed discs you are using. For compatibility with players, DVD-R is better than DVD-RW. DVD-R doesn't have to be formatted. If you are using RW then they should be formatted for video mode.

Unregistered guest
I am using DVD-RW. Not sure of the speed, but they are Memorex, I think 2X. I will try to format them for video mode before recording next time. I am at work right now, so I won't be able to try until tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 841
DVD-R has alot higher compatibility than RW. If the RWs won't work try using DVD-R instead.

Anonymous

I have a Emerson Ewr10d4.

What kind of DVD-R should I be using. I've bought a load of DVD-R x1 at Comp Usa. These work great but can I use DVD-R x4 or DVD-R 1-4x?

Its all very confusing to me!

Thanks

Greg

Anonymous

With the Emerson DVD Recorder EWR10D4..

Try Maxell DVD-RW 1x-2x.

15 discs on a spindle sold at Walmart.

They work fine for me. $16.97

Chris Taylor
Unregistered guest
The player is foobar crap. the only reason I am sticking it out is I want to see how it manages to get 10 hours on a dvd I thought 7 hours 20 minutes was the max posible in mpeg1 vcd mode.

it will not read over 4x dvd-r (this explained why 9 different brand discs I have access to all wont work at all Grrrrr)

the idiots are making it 8x tolerable (how about just making it IGNORE speed since all dvd recorders of this type ONLY work at 1x anyway)

so find yourself some old 1x 2x dvd-r's or wait to get the upgrade disc (phone number right on the player 1-800-256-2487 - they wont even e-mail it and when you get it no instructions you have to call them again to get those too Grrrr annoying.

but for $100 its hard to freakin beat !! gonna give it a go and see what happens.

Anonymous

Hi..

These also read DVD-R's rated at 1x-4x.

I bought it to record like a vcr upto 6hrs. Anything more would be crap. Also, to dump my old kungfu vhs to dvd.

So far its fantastic!

Anonymous

Just pur the ewr10d4.
My tv only has cable connection so I must use a RF Modulator between the dvd and the tv.
I want to hook up a VCR also,but the manuals dont show how.
Can some one tell me if the following schematic is correct and if not,explain how to do it.
Go here...
http://bulbd.homestead.com/index73.html

Charles m
Unregistered guest
I just got a ewr10d4. But when i set it to record at a later time. With the time recording it want record any ideas?

George O'Malley
Unregistered guest
I was looking for an answer on my Emerson, model EWR10D4. I'll be moving over to Japan, for about 3 months and then to Ireland, is my player code free regional or is it specific to region 1 or 0. Need to know if I have to buy a region free dvd burner. Thanks

Unregistered guest
I just bought an Emerson TV, VCR, DVD player, type EWC 19 T4. Does anyone know the code to make the dvd player zone free?

Thank you in advance,

Spenser
Unregistered guest
Which is better the Emerson dvd recorder/vcr combo or the Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr combo? Both retail for $189.00 at Wal-Mart and Best Buy respectabily.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have an emerson ewd 7004 and have just returned from England with a lot of region 2 dvds, when I try to play them after copying them with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink, I get the message that there is no playback feature, what am i doing wrong or is it my player?
I would appreciate any help at all, its driving me nuts! you can email me if you would. HELP!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1705
Are you using good quality discs, or cheap ones? DVD-R or +R?

Unregistered guest
I am using memorex dvd+r

Gold Member

Post Number: 1708
DVD-R has better compatibility than +R, try them instead.

Unregistered guest
Thanks David I will try that, I will let you know if I have any luck.

Unregistered guest
David, I switched dvds to Maxwell dvd-r and I still get the same, no playback, they work on my computer beautifully, but not on my player, do you have any ideas on what I might try next? Any other programs to try, I am getting desperate!

Anonymous

Scooter,

Which model emerson do you have?

If its the Ewr10d4 then you must use DVD-R 4x. If you are using 8x they will not work.

If its the Ewr10d5 then the DVD-R 8x should work.

I have the 10d4. I use Maxells and they work great.

Unregistered guest
Thanks anonymous, I was using 8x, when I switched to 4x my dvds played.
Thank you so very much!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Thanks anonymous, I was using 8x, when I switched to 4x my dvds played.
Thank you so very much!!!!!

Anonymous

I have the emerson vcr/ dvd recorder. I am having trouble finding dvd-r 4x. Any suggestions as to where I can find them, I can't seem to find them at Wal Mart any more.

horrorfangal
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have an Emerson vcr/dvd-r combo as well. I recently found out that you cannot use discs that were upgraded for 8x and above. Some Memorex 8x will work, but 4x is the way to go. If you have a Big Lots store in your area, try there. I bought some Memorex 4x in a 10-pack there. Wal-Mart may still sell them, but in 3 disc packs only now, the Maxell brand. Walgreens, the most recent store I've purchased from, may still sell 10 packs of Maxell 4x. Hope this helps you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1758
There's probably a firmware update to use 8x discs, check with the manufacterer.

Unregistered guest
I have the EWR10D4 and use Maxell 1X-2X -RW discs, since it get an error if I try to record on any brand of 8x -R discs. I came across this looking to see why I always got a disc error when I put in an 8x -R disc, now I know.

I usually use the recorder to watch a show I will miss and use the -RW 1X-2X speed. They work just fine, even on my computer, but some of the stuff I want to keep and move over to a -R 8x. These will play on my machine, but once the RW is finalized, it will no longer allow me to format it via tha recorder to use again. Can I format the RW on my computer and resue or does finalizing an RW on the recorder make it a one time deal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1760
It has to be unfinalized, then erased. Repeatedly reformatting will shorten disc life.

Unregistered guest
i just brought a Emerson EWR10D5 I,m tring to copy all my VHS to dvd. Can somebody tell me how i can connect the cables to my vhs and dvd to record. when i do record the vhs i get a snowy version of whats on the tv not vhs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1761
Connect with RCA cables and set the recorder on whatever input you used.

Unregistered guest
David i tried puting vhs output to dvd recorder input and still nothing can you help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1784
Set the recorder on whatever input you used. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels till you get to the right input.

mrnuffleupagus
Unregistered guest
I am at my wits end trying to find a working DVD recorder. Eve4ry brand I buy has something wrong with it and yet the stores blacklist me so I can't return things in spite of their return policy. They claim no one else has these problems. I've gone through 6 liteons that are picky about the media they accept, 6 ilo's with Hard Disks that often fail, or disk drives that fail me. Liteon can't read some disks-even finalized ones and no one seems to believe these things or want to verify them. I bought a pioneer that worked but couldn't find compatible media and the current model 231 doesn't have a 3-hour and variable speed option like the 220. There is a 530 with 80 Gig HD, and an emerson EWR10D5 but I don't know if I can trust it and for some reason, there are no reviews for walmart's current brands or the Liteon LVW 5006, and companies do their best to hide their phone numbes so you can't get product info.

my e-mail address is elrondaragorn@hotmail.com if anyone wants to help me, but in the subject line please put "DVD concerns" so I know it isn't spam.

Anonymous

does anyone have the dvd recorder/vcr combo model EWR20V5

how does it work for u? i think i might get one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1963
mrnuffleupagus, you are buying cheap garbage. There's a reason they cost half as much as a good recorder. Spend more and get a name brand. You get what you pay for.

Anonymous

I bought an Emerson EWR10D4 dvd recorder and i lost the manuel. can some one tell me how to use it?

Unregistered guest
Hi - I'm using Maxell DVD-R 8x on my EWR10D5/6. Recording to about 20 of the discs were fine but the remaining 30 failed after 45 minutes to 1 hour and a half with the following error message, "Can't Record to this Disk - E6 x x x

Any ideas what's causing this?

elizi c
Unregistered guest
Hi, I got an Emerson EWR10D5 dvd recorder as a gift. Can anyone help me out... Is it crap or alright. I have a Sony Handycam DVC recorder(DCR-DVD101)that records on mini disc, I want to record them onto standard size DVD disc. Will it work? Also I want to make back up copies of my kids movies(DVD), They are rough on them. Will it record them or will copy right stop it.
What type of disc will work on it? I would appreciate any help... I am what you call a virgin at this type of stuff. Never done it. Thanks!

ez1elizic
Unregistered guest
Hi, I got an Emerson EWR10D5 dvd recorder as a gift. Can anyone help me out... Is it crap or alright. I have a Sony Handycam DVC recorder(DCR-DVD101)that records on mini disc, I want to record them onto standard size DVD disc. Will it work? Also I want to make back up copies of my kids movies(DVD), They are rough on them. Will it record them or will copy right stop it.
What type of disc will work on it? I would appreciate any help... I am what you call a virgin at this type of stuff. Never done it. Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2081
It's at the low end, maybe not the bottom, but not far from it. You can't copy anything protected without a stabilizer. DVD-R or RW discs, if the Rs are 8x, it may need a firmware update to be able to burn them. Stay away from 16x discs. If using RWs, get version 1, version 2s probably won't work. Use good quality discs. I only use Taiyo Yuden and sometimes Prodisc, you can get them at Supermediastore, Shop4Tech, Meritline. Unfortunalely, most discs from brick & mortar stores are poor quality.

Anonymous

Anyone who has a emerson EWR10D4 go to call 1-800-242-7158 ,have serial # at hand and they will send you the upgrade disk free of charge. When you call they will send you to a voice message service after you have held for about 2 min. Just hang up and call back .This will happen tell you are #3-#4 in line. When the disk comes in call them back punch in a couple of buttons on your remote and your set up for 8x disks. You can reach customer servise @ EmersonAudioVideo.com By the way my EWR10D4 works great now and has no problem with any disk I use.

Barbara Jones
Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased a EWR20V5 and my clock on the unit ( not the timer) keeps losing time. Does any one know what causes this or has anyone had this problem? Please help.

Anonymous

Still looking for firmware that works for
Emerson EWR-10D4 does anyone have it if so please e-mail it to me
Thanks

Username: Wlstck

Tupelo, MS USA

Post Number: 1
I would like to know if my Emerson EWR10D4 will record on dual layer discs. Will dual layer discs work on all dvd recorders?

notatechie
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with the Emerson DVD/Recorder Model EWR20V4,not being able to record -R discs 8X and above. I called Funai customer service at 1-800-256-2487. After determining my firmware number using my remote, the service rep said Funai would mail me a free update disc to enable the unit to record 8x.

radairspike
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Emerson DVD/Recorder Model EWR20V4. This came in a blue box, and they had just got some in a red box, and the model number was EWR20V5. I am having the same problem as Barbara with the clock, over night it gains 2 hours and 10 minutes, so I can not use the timed recorder. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the EWR20V4 and the EWR20V5. The clerk did not know, but thought they were basically the same. Wondered if I should return my 4 for a 5 and hope the clock will work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2191
Steve, as far as I know no standalones record dual lauer DVDs. Most standalone players won't play them anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2192
radairspike, try turning the auto clock set off.

Unregistered guest
I have an Emerson EWR10D4, which has worked fine for well over a year. Just recently developed a new problem and wondering if anyone else has had this happen. It will still record onto a DVD-RW, but will no longer play back what it recorded. It does show the different recordings, but if you try to play any of them, it just freezes up. If I finalize the disk, it will play the shows in other dvd players/laptop, etc. And it does still play dvd-r's and commercial dvd's. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2254
What version are the discs? Most standalones are only compatible with version 1.1 or 1.2 discs, which aren't very easy to find anymore. If they are old discs, and you have a PC burner, do a full erase of the disc.

Unregistered guest
Hi.. at first I thought the disks were bad (same ones I had always been using). So I put a brand new one in from the same package and still the same problem. They are Fujifilm dvd-rw, 2x speed. They are the only ones that ever worked and the same ones I've been using since I first got the dvd recorder. Since everything is the same, I am thinking it is probably some sort of hardware malfunction, but just thought I would see if anyone else has had any experience or luck with this problem. Thanks!

Username: Kenne

I also have an Emerson EWR10D5 purchased from Walmart when my wife was in the states. I live in Brazil and we are trying to make the unit Region Free. Does anyone know the codes toset the unit for region free? Also after reading most of the posted questions, I noticed that in order to go around the copyright protection when recording you must have a stabilizer. What is a stabilizer and how do you aquire one? I could sure use some help here. Thanks....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2255
A stabilizer is a box that goes between the player and recorder. Where you buy one in Brazil, I don't know. You can buy them on ebay.

Username: Kenne

Post Number: 2
Thanks David for the help with the stabilizer for the Emerson EWR10D5. I was able to find it here in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The same electronics shop where I got the stabilizer told me that they can do something inside the unit to make it region free, something to do with a "chip". Is this recommended or do you know of a remote control sequence that will change the unit to region free?
This was a very reliable shop but I want to check with the pro. Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2263
I've never seen anything about hacks for that machine.

Unregistered guest
Help! I recorded precious home videos from vhs to dvd-r on the ewr20v4. I was only in usa for a week and hurridly did about 20 of these thinking they were done cause I could play them back in the same ewr20v4 drive. I did not finalize I guess cause I thought they worked. Now I'm in thailand with the discs and no files show on them when I put in my puter and they wont play on anything. I am I out of luck here or what? Is there anything I can do to get them to play? I'm really bummed out about this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2335
If they were recorded on a standalone, they have to be finalized on a standalone. A PC won't read them till they are finalized.

unbiasbob
Unregistered guest
do they need to be finalized on the emerson standalone or will another brand do the job

Gold Member

Post Number: 2354
I think I finalized discs on a different one before if remember right. You can't make menus if finalized on a different machine, but I think they will finalize as long as the machine uses the same type discs.

unbiasbob
Unregistered guest
I appreciate your assistance David. I brought one of my unfinalized dvds to thebiggest seller of dvd recorders in thailand (they have 3 types) and tried it on the only one that used -Rs and it said not compatible. I guess its wait a few years till I get back to the states and buy an emerson to finalize these discs. hope it'll work at that time. oh well, no home movies to show my g/f over here

Gold Member

Post Number: 2376
There's a program called ISO Buster for retrieving lost or deleted data, I don't know if it will work on unfinalized discs or not. Part of it is free to use and part of it needs a $26 liscense.
http://www.isobuster.com/

Username: Jackattack

EMERSON SUCKS

Unfortunately, I bought the EWD2203 about 4 or 5 years ago. After only 2 months, the VCR started to F-up and eat the tape. I went to Walmart and bought another one, put the old in the box and took it back.

The new one worked fine for about 6 months and started eating tapes again. I also had the same problems with DVD disc and must have bought 3 different types before I figured out which one was the right one.

When the second player F-up, I had to buy a new one (EWR20V4) from Walmart. After a couple of months, the VCR started to F-up. It starts with the program that was recorded being played back with the screen rolling (like the vertical hold use to do on old TVs). To stop that, I had to record all programs in SP mode which meant I could only record 2 hours per tape. Then it started to eat tapes. Bought another, put the old one in the box and took it back.

This is my 4th Emerson and it's starting to do the same thing again. Programs played back roll on the screen.

As for the DVD record, sometimes I copy something to DVD and it's fine. Other times, using the exact same brand and version of the disc, it wont let me finalize.

If you can afford it, don't go cheap. The only reason I bought this brand was the price. I swear to God I will never buy this brand again.

Username: Wolftoo

Why would anyone ask what kind of discs to use when it's printed all over the box and it's stated in the manual a few dozen times?

I've seen people complain about the 1x burning speed of these standalone decks? Well, my Emerson seems to be burning at a much higher speed and the first disc I dubbed to froze in at least one place. Anytime you burn a DVD, you should always use the slowest burning speed to avoid problems. If the Emerson's burning speed is indeed 1x, that can only be a good thing.

Post Number: 3
I finally bought one of these VCR to DVD decks and was very disappointed you can't set the dubbing time to equal the exact length of the video tape you're dubbing. It's just like all past VCRs and you can only set the OCR in half hour increments. I wanted to dub 1 hr 32 minutes and have to select 2 hours. The entire reason for me to get one of these decks is so I could dub tapes automatically and unattended. Not so. Technology is still in the dinosaur days.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2446
I don't know about combos, but my Toshiba recorder lets me set an exact stop time on the OTR.

Username: Tigres_fan

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon Mexico

I don't see many posts regarding the EWR20V5 but I hope you guys can help. I purchased this model 3-4 months ago and It started out working fine. I recorded on the supplied DVD-R (Verbatim 8x) and later purchased a Memorex DVD-r (also 8x)with no problems. I then got a 50 DVD-r tower of Samsung Pleomax 8x and I recorded about 6 or 7...THEN my problem started; I could not get past the first 3 sec. of recording when the unit goes into "Unable to record disc"; I could not record on any of the other 43 discs, I tried another Memorex 8x (same as I said at the begining) and it worked; then I got a 25 tower TDK DVD-r 4x...none of the 25 discs worked (I thought they would because they are a leading brand). The error here is that it starts recording for about a minute and then it pauses and then goes to 0:00 and starts "recording" again. If I hit stop so that it will write what has been "recorded" it will either try "Writing to the disc" but stoping after 24% to give me an "Unable..." message or it will directly send me to that screen.

My question is; do you think it's a problem with the lense/unit or is it just a matter of the DVD-r brands I'm choosing?

If anyone has a complete list of brands to look for; I will appreciate it.

Regards from Mexico,

Username: Ramissis

I have an ewr10d4 recorder and I have also purchased a stabilizer after reading from this forum. My question is this, I recorded a movie, it worked fine(vhs to dvd). I am trying to record another movie and it is giving me the error code E4. I am using verbatim dvd-r 4x disc. What is this code and what can I do to correct the problem...

Username: Mydogtoby

I recently bought an EWR10D5 DVD recorder. I like it and haven't had any problems with it. The only challenging thing is the manual. It is 80 pages long and took me two days to read and understand. This machine requires some advanced knowledge. For example: gigabyte capacities, 12 cm disks versus 8 cm disks, analog versus digital connections and a flurry of abbreviations that all have to be researched and understood before you can take take advantage of all it has to offer.

Username: Pilo22

I just got the ewr10d5- I tried hooking it up to my cable box but my box has only one coaxial input and then it has the HD cables out to connect to my TV. I connected the main cable line into my recorder and then I connected another cable from the out to the TV. So my Tv works fine like usual, I can see all HD channels and regulars. Then I connected av cables from the out of the recorder to the tv input 2. I can see the menu and all for the recorder but it is only picking up my basic cable channels and not all the HD and HBO Premium channels. Is there a way to hok up my cable box to the recorder so that I can get and record all my premium channels? Also, can i hook up a dvd player to it and back up(copy) a dvd? Please help

Username: Muzzikmann

You can use 8x discs with the 10D4, just call the 800 number on the machine and ask for an update disc, it's free

Username: Tessie

Montevideo, Montevideo Uruguay

I have an EWR20V5 and the problem is it keeps turning off by itself when I load a DVD or while it's on the writing process. I guess theres something wrong with the timer but I already tried using the T-SET button and no change. Any tips?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2764
It may be overheating. Don't have anything under or on top of it. Make sure the exhaust fan isn't blocked.

I agree with David. It doesn't sound like a timer problem but a circuit that is shutting the machine off to prevent or limit damage.

Username: Tessie

Montevideo, Montevideo Uruguay

Thank's guys but that didn't seem to do the trick. Any other ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2774
Check the manufacterer's website for a firmware update. If it's a known problem, there may be an update to fix it.

Username: Nateharvey

I have a ewr20v4 but have no manual can anyone help???

Username: Mike_c

Scappoose,, Or USA

the manuals can be found online at emersonaudiovideo.com

Username: Sarah_renee

Tulsa, Oklahoma United states

so i pretty much no nothing but standard operations for my ewr10d5.. I have connected it to tv and to my satellite but i keep getting the copyright error when trying to record anything from the tv, even a commercial... does anyone know what i have done wrong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3084
It's probably the copy protection networks are using now. Some recorders can think material is copy protected even when it's not.

Username: Sarah_renee

Tulsa, Oklahoma United states

I was afraid that you would say something like that. Thank you for taking the time to answer me, I appreciate it.

Username: Pinkroselizz

Tualatin, Oregon

I need some help, I have had my Emerson DVD/VCR combo recorder for a year now and all the sudden it won't record my tv shows. It says disc not recordable. Do I need to clean the lens, is there a cleaner for Emerson or can I use any brand? Any help would be great. thank you.

Hi,
I posted back in April 06 about my Emerson EWR10D5 DVD Recorder. Well there's a problem already. It still records and plays but makes this constant high pitched squeal. I didn't use it that much either. Guess buying this one was a bad idea after all.

Username: Sosochicago

Hi I have an Emerson ewr20v4 and I need a hack to make it region free. I have dvds from France and I cannot play it. Pleaaaaase Help!
Thanks.
Sonia

Username: Smiley123

my emerson dvd player/recorder wont play dvds past chapter 13 does anyone know how to fix this

Gold Member

Post Number: 3172
Look for a firmware update.

Username: Smiley123

thanks sooo much i'll try to find how to do that

Gold Member

Post Number: 3173
Look on the manufacterer's website, if they have one, or call them.

Username: Revgs9

I have an Emerson EWR20V5 VHS/DVD-R Combo. I keep getting an ERROR message stating that my disc are unrecordable. I am using Memorex 16x DVD-R disc. I've used 8x and 16x disc in the past and they have worked fine. Also I've noticed that my "DISC" menu is not available either. Can anyone help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3193
Try different discs. 16x discs aren't compatible with some recorders. Memorex doesn't make their own discs and they use different manufacterers, so you never know what you're getting. Try 8x Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

Username: Revgs9

Thanks, David. I'll go back to the 8x.

Username: Tigres_fan

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon Mexico

Unless someone else states that they have had no problems with this model (Emerson EWR20V5 VHS/DVD-R Combo); read and weep.

This model is a piece of crap; it doesn't matter if you use 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x or any X; after a few weeks out of the box, it stops recording. It won't let you record anything on any DVD. and after a few months, it will even stop reading (playing) factory made DVDs.

Believe me; get it sent back to the shop now that you are still in the warranty time-frame; after the 12 month warranty it will be cheaper to just buy another model from another manufacturer.

Username: Lake_rat

Question for Davie Massey on Emerson EWR20V5

One of my units is having a problem with initial registration of the disk. With a new disk it will load OK, but when you hit record it will go exactly 3 seconds and give you a "recording error" E4 54037380 and proceed to write something. It records fine on disks that had previously been recorded on that still had some space on them, and it plays disks OK and even lets you title and finalize previously recorded disks. The only thing I can think of is its having a problem in the initialization process when its loading a new disk.

I am a veteran with two of these machines with hundreds of disks made with no problems. Both machines accepts 4x, 8x, or 16x disks of multiple brand names with no problems til now. I have tried 4 brands, all 8x on this machine and none will record. You seem to be the expert on this board, I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3195
What are you recording from? Does it give a cannot record copy protected message or something like that?

David,

No copy protected message, just "recording error" E4 54037380. I'm reecording from Disk Network and it won't record any program, even Opra. Actually this machine is used mostly by my wife and she says that it has been acting like this occasionally and she retrys and it works. But when she brought it to my attention, I couldn't get it to record with lots of attempts. Don't know your history, but thought you might recognize the problem.

In the loading sequence it logs the disk type, available disk volume and recording type (video/vr) I know, but I don't know what else and evidently my unit is not doing something to the new blank disk that it should be doing. As I said in my first post, it records fine when the disk has some recording on it from a previous scession, on that machine. But not with a disk that has some recording on it from a different (identical) machine. Go figure? Ever run into this one before? And thanks for coming back at me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3197
About all I could say is you can try cleaning the laser. If anyone in your house smokes, the laser can get dirty fairly quick. That much use out of one of those recorders may be all they are good for. Standalone recorders don't last very long from my experience, except the first generation Panasonic I have that still works over 5 years later, but it cost almost $1000.

You may be right, it may have outlived it's planned obsolesence...lol. The first thing I did was clean the lens. I am looking Ebay over for it's replacement right now. Any favorite picks other than your old Panasonic?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3200
I use a Toshiba D-R4. Last I knew you could get them pretty cheap on ebay. I bought a few of them for less than $20 each. You'll need a remote obviously, I use a One For All 8910, $20 new $9 refurb at Amazon last I knew. It had to be upgraded over the phone, and you need to have them e-mail advanced functions to be able to do everything. I have the advanced functions and how to use them in my e-mail if you want to go that route.

Username: Busybee12

Ohio

I have an Emerson EWR20V5. I wish I would have known about this site before I bought it. I usually record my movies while I'm watching them and then just label and file them for later viewing. I didn't know I was wasting my time and money. I took one out last week to watch that I hadn't had the time to watch and it froze at about the 30 minute mark at SP. I've tried several others since then and they all do the same thing. I can play bought discs just fine, and I can play ones that my daughter makes on her different brand recorder fine. But every one I've done on this machine freezes or will not load at all. As you can tell, I am not a happy camper. Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm using the type of disc recommended by the manual. The disc will title and finalize just fine. That's why I didn't realize there was a problem until recently. Any help will be appreciated.

Post Number: 4
Belinda.....From what you have told us, the only thing that comes to mind is that when you start a recording by pressing the (rec/otr) button, you are pressing it twice (stuttering) which would cause it to set the timer to 30 minutes (if you press it twice) Every press of the button after the first press sets the record timer up 30 minutes. The LED readout on the unit will display the length of a timer recording and count down. A normal recording will cause the LED readout to count upward in seconds. So, try it again making sure you only press once and look at the unit to make sure its counting upward. After 30 minutes look again, after an hour, again. If it continues to count upwards until you press the stop button, it should give you a good recording.

If this is not the problem, if you can return the machine, do it. If you bought it from Walmart, return it and get the Magnavox that they are selling for $98.00, also at Sam's Club. I have read great reviews on that machine and it also records to DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW

I just bough me a high dollar Panasonic with a three year extended warranty. I'm afraid that all of the cheaper Chineese made machines are going to have longivity problems. Good Luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 3222
Skipping/pausing is usually poor quality media. Try 8x verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. You'll probably have to get the latter online, you may be able to find Verbatim in a store. Stay away from 16x discs in a standalone. Are you finalizing the discs?

Ohio

Thanks for the info, Dave. I'm writing down the type of recorder you recommend and will look at it, but the problem I have isn't pressing the button twice because the movies freeze at "around" the half hour mark - some at 25 minutes, some at 32 minutes, some at 40 minutes, etc. - none are ever the same. It even does it on the ones I set the timer recording for. I think I just bought the wrong machine and will have to take the loss from the sound of it.

Ohio

This reply is to David. I've always used the discs recommended in the manual which are 8x and thought I was using good quality discs as I wanted them to last. I'll check out the two you mentioned and see what the cost is. If they do the same thing, I guess I'm out of luck. I bought this too long ago (at Wal-Mart, of course) for them to take it back. They only have a 30 day return policy on electronics. I asked.
Thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3225
I don't know where that 30 days came from, last I knew Wal Mart had a 90 day return policy. Look at the customer service desk, the return policy should be posted on the wall.

Ohio

Post Number: 4
30 days or 90 days wouldn't matter. I've had it longer than that. I went on line to check out the Magnavox at Wal-Mart for $98.00 that Dave mentioned. It sounds ok but only records to +R discs. What about the Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD Recorder, DMR-ES155. It records to both plus and minus and does a lot more things for $129.00? What have you heard about it?

Post Number: 5
Belinda,

The Magnavox machine I was talking about did all the formats, not just DVD+R. Go by a Sam's store and check them out there.

And by the way, I got my Panasonic DMR-ES46V today and am testing it as we speak. It looks good, but the manual is not as easy to understand as the Emerson. The DMR-ES15S is very similar to the one I bought, except mine has the VCR attached and has HDTV up-coversion, SD card slot and DV camera hook-up. The Panasonics are supposed to be good machines, at least all the research I did was good. I bought it on Ebay for $149.00, including freight, as a factory refurb, from Cybershops in Los Angeles, they have a good repretation.

This time I took a 3 year extended warranty for $20. (not planning to take a bath on another one). I do plan to take the Emerson to a repair shop and find out what it costs to repair it. I still like the way the Emerson worked (when it worked)

Ohio

Post Number: 5
Dave,
The only Magnavox on line for $98.00 was the one I described. I'll have to check the store. Our closest Sam's Club is an hour away. I could have my daughter check it out as she lives a lot closer. I'd like to know about the one you bought when you have time to test it more.

I also plan to take the extended warranty on the next one I buy. I've lost enough to have learned my lesson on that.

My closest repair shop for any DVD recorder is over an hour's drive away. I checked that out on line as well. That would not be cost effective just to find out what it would cost to fix it. Also, the shipping cost if I would send it to them was way too high to be worth it.

I've definitely learned to check things out before buying them from now on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3226
Panasonic would definitely be better than Magnavox. Magnavox is made by the same company as Emerson I think, Funai.

Post Number: 6
Panasonic DMR-ES46V....I've been able to read the 77 page operators manual tonight, not an easy read either, and I have completed one Maxell 8X DVD-R disk with two movies. The first one in the 8hr mode and the second in the 4hr mode. Quite a difference in video quality. The 8hr mode resembled the old VHS tapes and the 4hr was good as the Dish Network feed it came from. The Emerson's video quality is much better in the 8hr mode, possibly why it is one of very few machines that will record 10hrs on a disk. Anyway the Panny did OK with less compression. I titled the disk and finallized and played it on the Emerson and all went well.

I liked the title screen, which is much easier to use than the Emerson's, but still only gives you 44 characters. The titles are below a thumbnail in three lines, which makes it interesting, but you can choose the thumbnail screen shot. Menus are much more complicated and the manual is a bear to understand, Emerson got them there too. I am burning a couple more movies in the LP (4hr) mode on a Ritek 4X DVD+R disk and all is well so far. Next I plan to do a Verbatim 16X DVD-R and then some -RW's. Got to try them all.

Belinda, Take a look at the AVS Forrum for DVD Recorders at the following link...I think you will see the posts I am telling you about on the Walmart Magnavox #MWR10D6 and the Sam's Club Magnavox #MSR90D6 for $98.00. Also you can read about the Panasonic you are looking at and the one I have too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Post Number: 7
You're right Dave, the Magnavox that I was telling Belinda about is made by Funai for sale only to Walmart and Sam's Clubs. Phillips made a deal for using their Magnavox brand. I like the Funai products, just wish they would last longer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3227
You might try looking at WalMart for the Polaroid DRM2001G, it's a HD recorder that's supposed to have good PQ. I saw someone say they got an open box one for $100. If you want the best recorder you can get, the HD Toshibas are the best. They use a Seagate HD, not the Western Digital everyone else uses, they have options to do everything you can imagine. I picked one up on ebay for less than $40. It's an awesome recorder. If you don't need a HD, you can get the D-R4. I bought 4 of them on ebay for less than $85 total. They didn't have the remote, but I use a One For All 8910, $20 new $9 referb at Amazon, to operate everything anyway. They have the same great PQ that the HD recorders have, just less options for customizing.

Username: Ericp

I've had an EWR20V5 for one year. As the dvd recorder was finishing up recording a program last night it began making a loud clicking or knocking. I've ejected the disc and tried a new disc, but the problem continues. It's probably going to require a tech but I thought I'd see if anyone has come across this or a similar problem.

Username: Jackamamaweez

I have the 10d4 DVD Recorder. I am having to use a Universal Remote and that may be the problem. But when I put in my disk Imation 4x, it gives me the error "Not a playable disk." Is this because it is a 4x? I can't go from setup to "Disk," but I didn't know if it's because of the remote or the disk causing the problem.

any advise will be helpful!

God bless you all!}

Gold Member

Post Number: 3299
Are you using a - disc or a + disc?

Username: Jackamamaweez

a - disk

Gold Member

Post Number: 3300
Some discs just aren't compatible with some recorders. The recorder may be toast.

Username: Brettb81

I have an Emerson ERW20V5. Just set it up and tried a 2x maxell DVD-RW disc. Got a Recording Error - E4 54037380. Says "Can not record on this disc." Is this a bigger problem or do I just have the wrong kind of discs.

Post Number: 8
Brett- The disk you are using should be good. I have two of the ERW20v5 machines. My oldest one did the same thing that you are reporting with the same exact error code. I have not been able to record on it with any disk since it first appeared, except one that had something recorded previously (on that machine) and with that disk, I was able to finish recording the remainder of the disk and it finalized OK. I tried initiating a new disk on the other identical machine and recorded a bit and then transferred it to the machine in question and it would give the same error.

So, I have determined that it is not initiating the new disk on start-up....all other functions work fine. I wish I could find a site that would explain the "E4 54037380" code to me. So, I have considered my machine toast for now and have replaced it with a Panasonic DMR-ES45V. The new machine works fine, but I like some of the features and picture quality of the ERW20V5 better.

Hope yours is different, but that error code was curtains on mine. Let us know if you figure it out.

Username: Jbassa

I need to make a Panasonic DMR-ES46V region free. Somebody can help? Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us