Archive through March 30, 2005

parts unknown
Unregistered guest
Mister Tomasulo-
check the serial number of the set that is delivered and hope that it is one of the recalled sets. Refuse delivery based on that and then cancel your order.

Username: Cheapbyte

MI

Post Number: 10
Mister Tomasulo,

I think if you refuse delivery, you still end paying for some type of shipping or handling. Granted, their site says free delivery, but we all know it is included in the price they are selling the set for.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 17
Steve, I think you're right.

I just found out my nearest JVC repair shop is only 9 miles away, so I guess I should quit worrying as hopefully I'll have easy access to fix any probs. I'm not being naive here am I?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 623
Best Buy has the 52" 575 on sale for $2564.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat31800050029

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Hmmm...where to buy, where to buy?

Best Buy = $2565
Good Guys = $2550 (plus you get an upconvert Toshiba DVD player
Costco = $2200
Pac-2000 = $2044 (for 575), $2199 (for 585)
Video Only = $2399 (for 585)
Sears = no longer available

Argh...too many choices! Probably leaning towards Costco or Video Only. Costco has the great retun policy that's been discussed here, but Video Only has the 585 (and I'm sure their price has some wiggle room).

Any thoughts?

Mitch
Unregistered guest
interested buyer,
Sears price matched Costco -10% and Best buy matched that for me.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
interested buyer,
Sears price matched Costco -10% and Best buy matched that for me.

Bronze Member
Username: Hstraub

Post Number: 12
Get this, I called Sears to deal with my TV that they delivered last Friday (a November recall build. The customer service person tells me that they NO LONGER CARRY THE TV. Apparently my phone call to complain last Friday alerted Sears to the problem(nobody heard about the recall at Sears customer service). I am not taking credit/blame, but I feel bad for JVC because Sears dropped them.
Anyway, Sears offered me a full refund(including coming to pick it up) and a Sears gift card for my trouble(decent $$ size), or I could deal with JVC and have it fixed and they will still send me the $$ gift card.
So, what do you think, get a new set or get it fixed? Even with the new Costco price, the deal I got at Sears would have been a wash dollar wise. I am inclined to just call JVC for the repair, keep the set and use the $$ for a good remote.
Any thoughts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
IB-- I'm not sure if I'd go with Pac-2000. They played the "yes it's in stock"/"no it's not" game with me when I tried placing an order with them last week. After I placed an order, it suddenly was no longer "in stock", but "on allocation" which basically meant out of stock as far as I was concerned. So I cancelled the order (at least no hassle there) and placed an order with buydig.

If I would've waited another week (and am kicking myself for not doing it) I would've gone with Costco.

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. Even though Pac-2000 has a great price, I'll skip on them (based on . I'm not that keen on big internet purchases anyway (call me old fashioned). I think I'll see what kind of a price I can talk them down to at Video Only (b/c they have the 585). If they don't budge, I may go with Costco. I'm not sure the black version is worth an extra $200 in my book.

Silver Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 122
scott brooks--
if you have not already purchased a remote, i think that you should buy the MX700 from NewEgg.com. like the other person told you, they are very reputable, and you can get it from them for the $180 that you were willing to spend for the MX600. i guarantee that you will be happy with this decision. i bought the MX700 from newegg, and i couldn't be happier. the difference is that the MX700 is pc programmable, which is a huge difference. the software is buggy right now, but URC keeps updating it. anyway, the ease of using your computer rather than a little lcd screen to set up your remote is immeasurable. i love my remote, and there are a ton of people out there willing to share files. for instance, i was having a problem with the discrete power codes for the JVC tv and then i found some people on the remotecentral forums that had the same problem, they sent me their power codes, and problem solved. pc programmability provides GREAT flexibility.

sailbyte--
sorry to see that your screen is now so crooked. i also have the DVE disc, and my first set had the same degree of crookedness. i exchanged it and luckily my second set has not had any problems. have you used the DVE disc to change the RGB drives in the service menu at all? if so, can you describe the procedure that you followed, which test screens, etc.?

thanks,
ryan

Bronze Member
Username: Nuclearfish

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 36
Ryan,

The remote should be here tomorrow...

I need the MX-600 because all my components are in my cabinet (see pic I posted last week in this thread), and the MX-600 has RF, with 10 IR blasters that I can control everything without leaving the doors to the cabinet open.

I ate a few bucks, but it'll be worth it to me...

I've had to return stuff to Amazon before, and they are very easy to work with. I have a loyalty issue, and I've bought from them since 1998.

Using wavebird wireless controller for the gamecube, and it's a huge difference. Always hated having to pull everything out (too easy to trip on cords).

I will let everyone know if the remote stacks up to my preconceptions.

By the way, I had no problems working with PAC-2000, but I hated having to wait so long to get my set.

I can only reccommend them to people who are more patient than myself.

Still love the set! I'd hate HD cable without the DVR though. Too few HD channels.

With the DVR, we have 1-3 movies to watch at any given time, so it's HD or nothing for me. I only wish that I wasn't paying for so many channels I'll never watch.

Oh well, there's more on the horizon.

Scott

Username: Glo_bo

Post Number: 9
Regarding upgrade and lamp,

I have had my set since Nov, Tonight it appears the lamp is gone, I just get both lights blinking rapidly. Is this indication of the lamp died?

On the upgrade my set serial number is about 100 out of the recall I wonder how close the numbers are to actually being correct since Mr. Lynch suggested the ballast and the lamp dying could be related.

I don't know if I should have the upgrade done. Does the lamp go out after such a short period of use?

frustrated.

Username: Fkubick

Post Number: 6
Globo

I've had different opinions as to whether the ballast board (BB) problem and a blown lamp are connected. One JVC rep said she thought they were related and the service center that is going to do the BB upgrade said they agreed. Another JVC rep said no way are they connected. The service rep is coming to install the BB upgrade this Friday but in the meantime I had the lamp blow. I called JVC and they sent a replacement bulb at no charge. I asked them if I should go ahead and install it or wait until after the BB is replaced and they said to go ahead and install it. They also said that if the lamp blows again they will again replace it free of charge. Anyway I installed the new lamp and no problem so far. Call JVC service and they should replace the bulb free of charge.

By the way, my set is an August build and I purchased it in December 2004.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 624
My lamp blew before the recall, and when I talked the the tech at the time he said it could be the Lamp control board (ballast board). He said that sometimes they arc and cause the lamp to blow. I'm pretty sure they are related.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I was thinking of getting the DVE disc that's mentioned here frequently in anticipation of tweaking the calibration of my soon-to-arrive JVC. I had a couple questions though I was curious if any of you could answer:
a) is it worth getting?
b)is it as hard to use as the customer reviews on Amazon say it is for a relative newbie;
c) what's the "PAL" version and do I want it?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 626
A) DVE is an excellent purchase. It will help you get the most out of your set

B) The first time you use it, it is very easy to follow along. It explains each step, and what to do/look for. Anyone can use it. The complaints people have are with the menu system of the disc. If you want to go back and find a specific test, it is tough to get there sometimes, but not impossible.

C) "PAL" is the european format. "NTSC" is what is used in North America. Make sure you get the NTSC version. PAL is not compatible for the most part.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
thanks Mr. L!

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Like Mr. T, I was thinking about getting DVE prior to the arrival of my tv. And like him, the Amazon reviews really caused me some concern.

From what I can tell, DVE helps you properly set up your typical user settings like brightness, sharpness, color, etc., but it also allows more advanced users to tweek the service menu settings. Is that right? Has anyone actually gone into the service menu and used DVE to further enhance their picture? If so, how easy or difficult is that to do?

Mr Lynch, Frank Kubick

thanks for the info, I will call a jvc rep. my serial is 16981635 just 100 over the recall dont know if I can or should have the upgrade done.

Dave Rager
Unregistered guest
Okay, I figure I've mooched enough information from the forum that I should post about my purchase in case anyone is interested...

I just purchased a 52Z585 from the local HH Gregg. Just a week or so ago, the set was priced at $2799 and when I tried to negotiate $2600 was their absolute rock bottom, won't-go-below price. Tonight I talked them down to $2199.

Bronze Member
Username: Matman

Post Number: 28
Green Problem & Light Engine

A number of folks have written in having noticed a tendency for their sets to show a green tinge on grays. A review in AV described this as an artifact of the sets, but I also recall some folks eliminated the problem by getting a new light engine. Is this "green tinge" distinct from the "green glow" that folks notice even when their screen is blank?
I'm about to pay ISF $350 to calibrate two inputs on my D-ILA. Before I do this, I thought I'd check and see if the problem should be visited first by JVC repair. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Surround Sound!
Anybody out there set up their D-ILA with surround sound? Do you have a system you really like?
I just spent $750 on a demo package of surround sound speakers: the Definitive Technology ProCinema 100 package. Anyone out there have this package? Was this a good price? Do you like their performance?
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
THE DVD PLAYER FOR D-ILA!
I've seen several recent posts from folks looking for a good upscaling DVD player. Having tried several models, I can say with certainty that the best results by far are achieved with the Sony DVP-NS975V. It offers several output selections to refine the signal for best quality. The results were stunning. It was like getting a new TV! A few months ago, someone wrote in about exchanging their high-end Denon for the Sony - at considerable savings - because it gave better results. Highly recommended.
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Pincushioning!
I understand that the tendency for the vertical edges of 4X3 material to bow inward slightly is called "pincushioning". Can this be corrected? My set does it slightly. It doesn't bother me all that much, but my girlfriend is an architect, and it's driving her nuts!
Yours,
Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_sparks

Ca Usa

Post Number: 61
Matt - regarding surround sound. Home theatre is'nt, without it. I can't comment on what you got - there's just too many speakers out there.

Two speaker brands I really like are:
Axiom - http://www.axiomaudio.com/
and Polk Audio - http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=28

I have two surround systems in my house. One uses Axiom and the other Polk Audio.

Axiom has fantastic sound. Especially check out their surround and center speaker. They are in Canada and are very friendly people. They have a trial period.

I stumbled on Polk Audio by accident. I was in fry's with a gift certificate and saw a sale on the Polk Audio. They sounded good in the store, but you never know until you set it up at home. I was amazed how good they sounded at home. Very clear with good high end. Very well balanced across left to right.

I bought middle of the road, as far as price goes. I got Polk M40 center, fronts and sub. I used Axiom surround speakers in both systems. The Axiom center is the best center speaker I tried.

Don't forget the Radio Shack DB meter for balancing your surround system.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 632
I don't know why anyone would buy a large TV set and not run a surround system. It is such a big part of the viewing experience. Ever try watching a good action scene with the sound off?

I've had my surround system for years. I bought it back when I had a 25" TV, and I've enjoyed every moment of it. It is an all Infinity setup. RS5 towers up front, a CC-3 center, and QPS-1 surround speakers. I also have a pair of inwall infinity speakers just waiting for when I upgrade to a 7.1 receiver. I'm really leaning toward the upcoming JVC 7.1 recievers. Thin, cheap, with HDMI input/output.

For my subwoofer, I built my own. I had 3 JL Audio 8" subs laying around from my car stereo days. I built a nice little box, bought a 300w subwoofer amp from parts express ($110) and gave that a shot. It works perfects, and it pegs my SPL meter (127db) when cranked.

MDF and vinyl woodgrain from Parts express
Upload
Upload

I'm no audiophile, I just want decent sound. What I have works for me.

Sam J
Unregistered guest
Concerning the "Green tinge on Greys", I have found setting the color temp setting to high has taken care of this situation on my set.

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Damn! Just as I was about to buy, a new carrot gets dangled in front of me. I just found out that the new 2005 JVC HD-52G786, expected to ship in June, has an MSRP of $2700! Quite a drop in price from the MSRP of the 2004 model. Now I'm thinking of waiting.

I know, I know...new and better things are always around the corner and if I don't pull the trigger, I'll never buy a tv. But it seems to be worth the wait.

Crappy thing is that if I get one of these new ones, I won't be able to hit all of you up for your invaluable help anymore...

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 62
Nice sub Mr. Lynch! I agree - without surround sound, it's just a TV.
I also have some old infinities, 15 years old studio monitors. They've been good, but the woofer is disintegrating. Probably will replace them with Axiom fronts.

interested buyer - what is better about the HD-52G786 that you're waiting for?

Bronze Member
Username: Thedvdguy

interested buyer, where did you see the $2700 MSRP price on the forthcoming 52"? Everything I've seen shows MSRP around $4200.

-Brett

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 633
The MSRP on the HD-52G786 is $4299. Same as the 575/585 were. That means they will run about $3400 in the stores. Video Only said they will put it on the floor for around $3200 when it comes out. You can get a 575/585 for close to $1000 less right now.

The added features are:

ATSC/cable card- pretty worthless in my opinion. ATSC only works with OTA signals, cablecard is 1 way. No VOD, PPV, or TV guides can be used.

IEEE1394- INPUT ONLY. Good for camcorders and?

VGA input- Wish this came on the first gen models. Very nice addition.

Digital audio output- Now you can run a cable from the TV to your receiver and get surround sound. Makes the audio capabilities of HDMI useful.

Everything else is pretty much just carried over so the picture should look exactly the same. The light engine has been streamlined, but the LCoS chips remain the same. The service menus should also be similar if not identical.

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
That's weird. I got the info from AVS forum (owner of TV Authority posted details about the upcoming JVC's). http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=81d8167b1d958814ceb0fb1c0d1acd2c &postid=5378390#post5378390
Also, pac-2000's website already has the 61" version advertised at $2900. The 61" is supposed to be shipped in about 2-3 weeks.

My hope for the newer models is that some of the kinks have been worked out (CA, smudges, etc.) Again, this is just a hope. No promises that the new sets will be any better in performance (since current performance is pretty sweet as it is) Also, it has a dedicated PC input as well as firewire.

I don't know what to do...

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 635
If you don't kind waiting and spending a bit more, than you should wait for the new model. Release dates are always tenative, so July could turn into "end of the year" real quick. Either way you will get a great set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
My set from buydig is arriving tomorrow.

Can anyone offer advice on how to tell if the set is a refurbished or a non-brand new item?

I'm apprehensive about this place and will refuse to sign for the thing if I think they're trying to pull one on me.

I just got an email stating another 2 lb delivery was coming to me fedex in addition to the tv which was already scheduled to arrive through freight. I called customer service to inquire about it and was told it was some sort of cleaning kit, to which I tell them I didn't order it. The kid tells me then to just refuse it when it gets to my door... then he says, well it looks like he threw it in for free, to which I say "well that's different if it's free". The guy then smarts off with a "oh you sure about that?". I'm just lie wtf--and I tell him "YEAH I'M SURE... why would I complain if I'm not getting charged for it!?"

I had read about their notorious rude customer service, but this was my first real brush with it.

So I'm not getting charged for it, but I'm just like, why are these shiesters giving me *anything* for free unless the TV they sent me is somehow "something less" than what I ordered.

I'm paranoid and want to be ready for any bs that comes down off the freight truck waiting for me tomorrow.

(As for why I would go through an Internet dealer in the first place-- at the time I ordered it was $400 cheaper than any retail store, plus no sales tax and free shipping... things changed real quick in the days since my order... namely, Costco).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 638
MR. T.-

It would be illegal for them to sell you a reburbished set without your knowledge. If JVC did refurb it, it would be clearly marked. Usually the model number will end in an "R" or a "B". For example:
HD-52z575-R or
HD-52z575-B or
Serial number 1975604-B

This would be clearly marked on the box, and on the set near the serial number.

When I bought my set, I could have save a little buying online (sales tax is 8.9% here) but I went with an actual store. I don't trust some of the internet sellers. I would buy from PAC-2000, but only becasue they are nearby and I could pick it up. Saving $400 would make me think long and hard though...

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 189
globo- My set did the blinking lights. 2 days later is was working fine. I think it might have gotten too hot and went into safe mode.

matt- I love my Paradigm set up, I have the Monitor 7s.

DVD player for this set- Denon 2900!!!!!
I got this player yesterday to replace possibly, my Zenith 318. THIS BAD BOY ROCKS!! It really shows what the JVC can do! Clean, smooth, no noice, no greent tint, no MB, nice blacks, nice shadow detail, and EXCELLENT SOUND! Wow, watching a movie now is so much better with the better sound.

The real reason this player rocks- It has adjustment Gamma. What this allowed me to do was lower the last black step in the gamma (it's in like 15 steps) and then the next 2-3 up, I moved lightly higher. The result? I was able to get black blacks AND raising the next dark greys slightly higher resulting in NO BLACK CRUSH. iRobot was simply stunning. Blacks were black, shadow details were clean and detailed. I got lucky and picked it up for $480 as it was a returned item.

As for my update- I'm on my 3rd light engine replacement and still have green color fringing. JVC (who's been excellent) offer the chance for me to return the set for a new one. Mine is almost 2 months old. They mentioned the new turner models if i wanted to upgrade with BB. I then asked about doing the upgrade/exchange/return for the 2nd gen models with new cabinet/electronics in June/July,m they said sure!! They will work it where I can return the set around the time the newer models come out so I can upgrade to that paying any difference of course. The newer sets will MSRP at $2799!! Street price should be lower and close to what i paid. So, hopefully, by this fall, I'll have the newer model!! I love JVC. They've been very straight with me and dedicated to making me happy.

Kinda feel dumb getting the BB warranty now :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
Mr Lynch-Concerning the newer models-

"JVC 2005 DILA MSRP & SHIPPING SCHEDULE

HD61Z786 - Silver Model -- $3699 MSRP -Shipping End of March / Early April

HD61Z886 - Black Model - $3699 MSRP - Shipping End of March / Early April

HD70G886 - Silver Frame -- $5999 MSRP - Shipping End of March / Early April

----

HD52G886 - Black Frame -- $2799 MSRP - Shipping in June
HD52G786 - Silver Frame - $2799 MSRP - Shipping in June

HD56G786 - Black Frame - $3099 MSRP - Shipping in July
HD56G886 - Silver Frame - $3099 MSRP - Shipping in July

-----
MISC JVC INFO:

"G" versus "Z" -- the letter refers simply to the bezel design. The "Z" bezels are just like the current JVC DILAs, while the "G" bezels are a little more rounded off. You can sort of see the difference in the PDFs I posted previously.

PC Input -- confirmed on all of them. It will accept a 640x480 or 1024x768 videl signal through the RGB 15Pin. According to the manual anyways, it won't accept PC signals through the HDMI input.

Media Card Viewer -- play JPEGs, etc... only in the 70" model.

JVC Stands -- new stands for these models. Of course, no ETA or pricing available yet on the stands. We're staying on top of JVC for more info.

As for display electronics, JVC likes to point to an all new 4th generation processing chip, and improved contrast."

So, the MSRP is $2700, (not $3400) at least according to this guy who runs tvauthority.com

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 639
Nice post Rick!
That clears some things up. I was going by what Video Only told me, but I like the prices you listed better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Mr Lynch0 Yea, this guys just got the specs/dates like a few weeks ago, so it's fairly recent. He said they all looked good at CES, but I still haven't heard defenatrely that the 52" sets are indeed much improved. I've read the 61" and 70" both are jaw dropping and that 'all' JVCs looked great. But no exact 'the 52" were much better' per say. So we'll have to wait and see. My two peeves would be CA and noise/artifacts from crap signals or low rez images blown up like on commercials you'll see some logos or text look jagged. So hopefully, they can get some source flaws muted some.

Bronze Member
Username: Condor

Post Number: 82
Hello All,

I just had my ballast board replaced (JVC 52") under the recall, oops, I meant upgrade!
The tech was in and out the door in 30 minutes. Actual time on the set was about 15 minutes.

It seems the problem is with the ballast board connector. The connector loosens and then arcs off the power pins. What a hassle for JVC, a 20 cent connector caused this problem.

I asked the tech which sets people hade the most problems with and he said "SAMSUNG, piece of junk!" He did say he liked both the JVC and the Sony.

Regards
Jim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Surround Sound! DVD Player!
Mr. Sparks, Mr. Lynch, and Rick:
Thanks for the info. Really enjoyed the pic's! Will give the speakers a listen this weekend.
The Def. Tech. ProCinema 100 package that I got sounds bigger than it looks, but as with smaller sets it lacks rich bass. The pieces originally cost $1450, so I feel pretty good about picking them up for $750 (a demo model discount). I know that for music it could be a bit better, so I'm still looking and listening.
Rick: Thanks for the scoop on the Denon 2900. I think I'll bring it home and try it out. I still get some noise on the lower grey scale on certain DVD's, and I'd love to find a player that eliminates this problem. The Sony 975 sure is a huge improvement over the other players I tried, but I didn't climb the scale as far as the Denon. I recall someone on this forum chose the Sony over a Denon. I'll have to check the model on that. The black level option really sounds cool!
What is "green fringing". Please describe. I'm still trying to decide if I need a new light engine or just a tweak.
THANKS EVERYBODY!
Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Rick, thanks for info my lamp is gone, now that I think about it the picture was getting darker and I get adjusting brightness.

Is it common for JVC to say they will call you in 2 days for a lamp replace. Seems wierd what are you supposed to do hang by the phone for two days.

Username: Killer

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I'm new to the group and just want to say how helpful it's been for staying on top of issues with the JVC DILA set.

Thought I'd share my experience with having an ISF tech calibrate my set. I debated doing myself but after watching him I'm glad I paid him to do it. Calibration is as much an art as it is science and a good tech knows how to compromise spec settings to get the best overall effect. Color is much improved as are the black levels. I was also surprised how much mosquito effect there was in a HD signal that he was able to dial out.

There are inherent anomalies in the set that just cannot be calibrated out - slight convergence alignment and bowing of vertical lines for example. These have to do with the physics of wide lens projection. We saw a slight misconvergence at the center of the set (purplish, greenish tint around a white projection source). It really isn't noticeable about 3' away from the set but is quite apparent on a test pattern looking for convergence problems. The center of the screen was the best with some slight misconvergence but the problem is amplified as you go out to the edges. This is typical as optical anomalies tend to be more pronounced at the outer edges of the lens. A high quality lens is the solution which JVC apparently elected to not go with. That's simply a cost consideration when manufacturing a set in a desired price range.

My set also exhibits the vertical bowing lines others have mentioned. This is a nuisance to me watching a 4:3 source with side bars. It's very noticeable when projecting a test pattern looking for H/V alignment. There was nothing the tech could do for this. Again, it's the physics of trying to project a wide angle image over a short focal length. Again, higher quality optics is the solution but that drives up the cost of the set considerably.

We also noticed vertical banding in the gray scale image which suggests that only an 8-bit video processor is used. Too bad, the cost for a 10-bit processor is so minimal ....

Finally, the tech complained about high bright the set was. Initially, it was around 120 fL but after calibration was down to about 85 fL. Still very bright .....

OK, enough of the negatives. The DILA set is still an excellent set and I would buy again. I see rainbows on DLPs, black levels on LCDs just plain suck, and plasmas have burn-in issues and are just plain expensive for a HD resolution set. LCOS seems to be a good compromise and hats off to JVC. The set looked pretty darn good to begin with but even better after calibration (especially for HD and DVD sources). Personally, I don't think you can beat the picture for the money.

If you can afford it, I recommend having an ISF tech do a calibration .... you'll be glad you did.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks for your last response, Mr. L.

Delivery from Buydig arrived today. I think I'm pleased so far. TV came very well-packaged, and the set was in pristine condition (as should be expected). December build date-- check. Hooked it up and turned it on and no smudges, either-- check. Ordered on 3/18 and arrived today on 3/25. All in all seems to have been a good transaction. Paid $2239 total which included threshold delivery, and didn't have to pay sales tax. Still don't know if I'd go through buydig again, though, as it felt like I was playing a little Russian Roultette the whole while and the customer service had that 'shady' feel to it (BTW-- I don't think I'd personally ever pay for white glove delivery assuming the set doesn't have to go up any stairs, as mine didn't. Guy brought it into my house and basically opened it all for me).

Now that I've gotten the tough part out of the way, the only thing left is to improve my connections, as my standard def looks kinda crappy as it is now (high-def cable box coming tomorrow).

The current connections I have are admittedly lousy... the tv I swapped it out for was old and I had a cheap $20 Phillips modulator from Walmart connected to it just so I could hook it up to DVD/Gamecube, etc.

I'm assuming this $20 modulator has to go? :-) I plan on digging into the archives of this thread tonight as I'm sure everything I need to know has already been written. Anybody got any good starting points for where I should start, though? Thanks :-)

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me where there is a listing of certified ISF tech's? Specifically, I am looking for Los Angeles or Ventura County California. I tried going into the service menu and had no luck. I don't know if they changed the code for a December build or if I am just a complete programming geek. I was easily able to connect everything to my set and doing basic adjustments; however, I could not get it to go into the service adjustment mode.

Matt: I love my Sony DVD 975 player through HDMI. The picture is awesome.
Thanks,

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 641
http://www.imagingscience.com/

To enter the service menu:

Press "sleep timer"
Press "Video status" and "Display" at the same time. Make sure you do this before the "sleep timer" display disappears off the screen. It will not work it you take too long.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 642
Video Only is having a big sale this weekend. The JVC 52" is listed at $2399, and they will drop it a bit more if you haggle a bit. I can't believe how much TVs have come down in price in the last few months.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Took my cable out of the modulator and put it directly into the tv. The tv now kicks butt. That was easy. And hd doesn't even arrive till tomorrow.

Username: Spoto

Seems, at least to me, that JVC is stopping production and shipment of the current line in preparation for release of the next models. I waited too long to get a 52" 585 from the local HHGregg. Their price was $2300 but they only had 2 units. A display and one in repair. The 61" 585 was $2700 so I went ahead and got one. At the time, the sales guy said they only had 33 of the 61's left and would not be getting anymore. This is more of a heads up to everyone that may be waiting as I believe the time is now.

BTW - I've been lurking on this post since I found it mid-October. Thanx to ALL for the insight.

Sam

Username: Ruffwood

Post Number: 8
I have a Dishnetwork 921 receiver hooked to my 61z575, through the HDMI connection. The receiver puts out 720p and 1080i signals. Will I get better performance or picture with either one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Bill- So afterwards, do you feel the ISF was worth the cash? How much did it cost you?

Also, what did he do to dial down the noise?

Do you have to ask them if they can do the JVC, or is it just another set to them?

And what's the difference between ISF dealers (at the site) and ISF dealers w/equipment? Which to look for?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Has anyone ever had to adjust their focus? Mine seems a little off.
BTW, the local JVC guy is coming out this week to do the 'upgrade'. If I am unhappy with it after he does it, Sears is getting this set back.

Username: Justme123

I stopped by Ultimate Electronics in Roseville,MN today. All their floor models have been pulled, and when asked (three different sales staff) their response was "we sent them all back for a recall cuz their starting on fire!".

They must have had a smoker.

I just wanted to see another side by side in their DLP room, but no joy. I would have to order on line in any case, they are priced out at $3299 and $3799 respectivly, then add 6.5% sales tax for the Gov.

BUYDIG is looking better and better, thanks for keeping us up to date Mr. T!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Justme,
I am in Woodbury......the store here doesn't have any either.
I got mine as Sears when they had them and got them to price match down to $2290. Have you looked at Costco?
Are you going with Cable or OTA?

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, Thanks for the info on the service menu. I guess I was not fast enough with the fingers. I will give it another try.

I also would like to know what people think of the ISF service and what the cost is. I notice there are five or six ISF people near me. Are there any particular questions I can ask them to make sure they know what they are doing?
thanks again,

Username: Motliek

IN USA

Post Number: 6
Rec'd my MX600 remote earlier this week. Love it. Thanks to all for the recommendation about this line of remotes. Easy to program especially with the learn function and the macro feature is great.
JVC mentioned to me that BB is authorized to do the "upgrade". I wonder if they do it or farm it out? I didn't think they actually did service work. They also gave me a number for a TV repair place. Seems silly to go thru BB especially is they have me contact the same place. Oh well shall find out Monday.

Username: Snapper

Phoenix, Az

Post Number: 7
Got the TV delivered from Costco Dec build with ser#179. Have the dirctv and ota thru hdmi, is there a way to adjust the settings on the hdmi?

I might be going color blind, setting up the tv driving me crazy, anyone have suggestions on settings ie., tint, color, etc.? I think i have spent too long using the DVE to adjust.
thanks drew

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_furlong

Texas USA

trying to decide between the MX600 & MX700.
I need to have my cabinet doors open for the OE remotes to work, will the MX remotes work without opening the doors?
I prefer the MX700 if it will do the trick.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Drew,
I have a setting page that someone (Mr Lynch?) published a while back with how he set his set up. Send me an email if you want it....it is a word document.

harry at harrystraub dot com

Dave D
Unregistered guest
I have had the 52" ILA for about a month now and love the picture. I am using DirecTV HD and OTA HD for locals. I am also impressed with SD.

The only issue I have id that the top of the picture tends to slant down on the left side. This is noticeable with Tivo menus, video games, widescreen DVDs, and PC. I brought the first TV back to Ultimate and got another one and it had the same issue. Does anyone else see this? Is there anyway to calibrate this out?

Thanks!

Phoenix, Az

Post Number: 8
Steve M / Anyone,
Steve read that you had NG issues, I ran my self check and had the following: I did notice that in some areas blonde hair had a greenish tint. Are my RGB values reasonable or to high?
R = 127
G = 124
B = 128

My RGB pixel test was dead on vertical and horizontal.

Self Check

RGB: NG = 9
HDMI: NG = 1
SYNC - M = NG
SYNC - S = NG

I ran this test several times and the first had issue as above. Several hours later ran again and was corrected to all = OK. Ran again and had issues. Finally ran test again and now all is OK.
Does anyone have an idea as to why the variance. Is it because of making changes ie., tint, color, etc?
Does anyone know what the errors really mean or how to correct?

Side Note:
I am running directv and watched basketball on CBS SD and especially near the court and players seem a little smudged not clear. However thru OTA CBS HD was crystal. Watched the Lakers/Philly game tonight and non HD was much clearer than college. Is there a way to improve the sporting events over SD to a clearer picture?
Drew

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 63
"Is there a way to improve the sporting events over SD to a clearer picture?"

My cable company installed an inline amplifier on the coax cable. It made a big difference in quality of non-HD channels.

Phoenix, Az

Follow up, ran the self check this morning and only issues are with the below. Biggest change is with the RGB from 9 to 1 and HDMI is ok. This test was done prior to any adjustments.

RGB: NG = 1
SYNC - M = NG
SYNC - S = NG
Drew

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Dave D,
My screen slants slightly down on the left also. I figured out why......I was adjusting the focus & while I was fiddlin round I noticed the screen was tilting as I moved the focus nob on the lens. The lens is mounted on with 4 screws, if you loosen them the lens may be able to be repositioned slightly. I'm going to try this on mine soon.

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Drew,
while in the self check mode....turn the tv off, this will reset all that & all should read OK when you go back into self check.

David R Jones
Unregistered guest
Dear Mr. Lynch or anyone:
I have my JVC for 4 months now. This weekedn, I received a letter from JVC USA about the safety issue of certain models and serial numbers (electrical burn, etc). My TV is one of them that needs an upgrade on the set (I looked at the serial number in the back of the TV set). JVC asked me to call the authorized dealer so that they can come and do the in-home service. Anyone has the same issue that I have??? Also, anyone knows what this is all about???
Thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 11
hstraub:

Good price from Sears! I'll be going over Dish, but maybe not for a month or three. It's a coin toss if I get to do the Ixtapa trip in April or the H/T upgrade. My traveling companion is in a job search, and if a window opens up for her, I'm jumping on a plane for the beach, and gettin outta here for a week or two!

David R Jones
Unregistered guest
Dear Mr. Lynch or anyone:
I have my JVC for 4 months now. This weekedn, I received a letter from JVC USA about the safety issue of certain models and serial numbers (electrical burn, etc). My TV is one of them that needs an upgrade on the set (I looked at the serial number in the back of the TV set). JVC asked me to call the authorized dealer so that they can come and do the in-home service. Anyone has the same issue that I have??? Also, anyone knows what this is all about???
Thanks a lot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
David, It's a recall JVC has with a wire that can potential arch and hit another wire and cause a fire. It's only been an issue on I think 2 sets but JVC wants everyone with a set built before November to get it done. It takes like 20 minutes I've read. Give them a call.

Silver Member
Username: Dmako

Post Number: 107
FYI - they are coming over Wednesday to repair my set. I'll time them.

Bronze Member
Username: Rex

Post Number: 25
My Tivo (non HD) was updated this weekend to version 6.2, and it's seems as though the reception on my HD-52Z858 was degraded. I am not positive on this, but I thought I would get it out there and see if anyone else had a similar experience.

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 31
Anyone know where to get a MX 800 under $200?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Can anyone give me the skinny on in-line signal amplifiers? Just found out that my cable company offers them for a cheap one-time fee. Will this automatically improve my standard def feed, or does it just depend?

Right now I'm thinking 'why not' have it put in, if it will only make the picture better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Sorry I read a little more and this ^^^ in-line amp deal sounds unnecessary now. I'm gathering it's only useful (correct me if I'm wrong) for long cable-runs, which I do not have in my home. So I might as well save the money.

The new JVC is still kicking butt, by the way. Thanks to all for all the great info.

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Mr. T.,

I've heard people having success with one made by Motorola (they sell it at Circuit City). You can always buy one, try it out, and then return it if you don't want it or find out that Comcast's version is cheaper.

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 40
Dan:

I have a slanted screen that resulted from the recall repair. I figured the Tech didn't slide the chassie back in correctly which could cause the tilt.

You indicated that you were mucking around with the focus and some other screws. Am I correct in guessing that you are doing something beyond normal user maintenance?

interested buyer
Unregistered guest
Here's the Circuit City link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Motorola-Signal-Booster-484095-001-00-/sem/rpsm/o id/44964/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
The reviews seem favorable, but I have no first hand experience with the product.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 64
"I'm gathering it's only useful (correct me if I'm wrong) for long cable-runs, which I do not have in my home."

The inline-amp is useful if your signal is weak. The cable may run a long way to your house. There may be other factors reducing signal. Have your cable company check the signal at your demarc point (where the cable enters your home). The technician should be able to recommend if an amp is warranted.

Then again, if your new JVC is kicking butt, why fix what ain't broke.

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 32
Sailbyte
I had a tech tell me how to adjust the focus but that is as far as I went because of the unknown of what could happen if the screws were loosened. Rest easy sailbyte, no wrong doing here.

Mitch
Unregistered guest
Interested Buyer,
I had the cable guy out yesterday installing a Moxi box (motorola broadband media center= TIVO)and asked him about an amplifier. He confirmed what Mr. Sparks said, basically it is only necessary/helpful if you have a weak signal, otherwise, it is a waste of money.
Good Luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Even though I have a relatively short cable run, I put in an amplifier/spliter because I do a four-way split where the cable enters the house (3 TVs and a cable modem). This did yield a small improvement in picture quality for me.

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 65
It's your cable company responsibility to give you a strong signal at the demarc point. If not, they should install an amplifier free of any charges, to provide you with what you pay for, a strong signal at demarc point.

Argue that point and I believe you should get a free amp installation.

The cable tech can read the signal in decibels with his meter. Cox read my signal at point of use, in my home, found a low signal, and installed an inline amp, free, back at the demarc. Good luck - it made a significant difference.

Username: Ruffwood

Mr Lynch,Mr Sparks etc.

I asked a question a few days a go about my Dishnetwork satellite signal whether I should use 720P or 1080i, because I saw a post that says the 52z575 converts everything to 720p. Well i got a response from JVC about this question. Quote:

We would like to thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry to JVC.

The HD-61Z575 upgrade all signals to 1080i.

Is this true?

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 66
Robert - Everything I've read regarding the JVC is that it upscales to 720p. I would hope JVC techs know more than me.

I copied this for you from the JVC website:
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026746&pathId=114&page=2

HD-52Z575
3-Chip D-ILA System (1280x720)
D.I.S.T. 720p(Digital Image Scaling Technology)

Your 61 incher is the same.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 38
Mr. Lynch,

a while back you posted a link to a site that listed 480p/720p/1080i games for the XBox... I looked but couldn't find it (needle in a haystack).

I'm getting an XBox from a guy at work, and am interested in looking for some of these games.

Could you post again?

Thanks,

Scott

RaveD
Unregistered guest
The HD-61Z575 upgrade all signals to 1080i.

This would imply that the TV deals with HD signals at 1080i only and then downconverts that signal to 720p for display (because this is the native resolution of the TV).

So, if you feed it 720p, then it gets upconverted by the TV to 1080i, and then downconverted to 720p again to display.

Doesn't make sense to me, but who knows. Maybe the final link in the electronics chain is only capable of dealing with a 1080i signal.

Personally I don't see any visible difference feeding the TV 720p vs. 1080i.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Scott-- Here ya go. I bookmarked it myself.

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm

Bronze Member

IB/MrSparks/Sailbyte-- Thanks for the feedback. Think I might pick up one of those signal boosters at CC just to give it a spin. I'll report back on how it goes.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 39
Thanks Mr. T..

I love my gamecube at 480P, but XBox is tops, with 720P and Dolby 5.1

scott

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 643
Scott-

There are some great looking games for the Xbox. Amped 2 is one of my favorate "showoff" games. It is in 720p and it looks like your playing on a giant PC screen. Same with Tony Hawk 4 and Tony Hawk Underground. All 3 of those games can be found for under $20, and your jaw will drop when you first see them in action. The 480p games are not bad, but when compared to the 720p it is night and day.

Bronze Member

I myself am a Gamecube owner (cause my gf loves the Mario Games).

As an fyi to any other *new* Gamecube owners out there-- as you may have discovered if you purchased your Gamecube new sometime in the last 6 months, Nintendo actually *removed* the digital A/V port on their consoles :-( I just bought my JVC last week and had never really checked the ports on my cube till then. Dismayed I was to find mine had no digital port.

The good news, though, is if you call Nintendo they will pay for you to send your cube to them in exchange for another refurbished cube with a digital port. They gave me a Fed Ex RMA # and told me that the turnaround time would be 7-10 days from time I dropped the cube off.

Pretty crappy that they would remove the port like that. Their reasoning was that, according to them, only 1% of their consumers use this option. Seems kind of short-sighted if you ask me. On the other hand, I was definitely impressed with their great customer service for those who wished to exchange their cubes.

Bronze Member

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 40
Mister T,

I had to do that w/ my platinum GameCube..
Nintendo sent me the refurb Platinum GC the day after they received mine in the mail.

Just be sure to order the progressive cables from their site the day you send off the cube, and it will time out just about perfect.

I got the cables the same day I got the cube back....

Then I waited another week for the TV to show up... : (

The Prince of Persia games look awesome on the cube in 480P

scott

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Mister T:

If the issue is multiple splits off to different cable runs in the house, I got a Radio Shack signal boaster that had a built-in four way splitter. Seems to work well, but you will need to adjust so you don't over amplify either.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 647
Scott, Mr. T-

Good to hear Nintendo has treated you guys right. I worked for them for several years and they always seemed to take care of their customers. I still have pictures somewhere of a bunch of us playing a Dreamcast on a Sony TV in the Nintendo lunch room.

Username: Dave_decoste

I bought a 52" ILA about a month ago and love the picture. I found this forum about 1 week ago and it is the best forum I have found. I particularly appreciate comments by Mr. Lynch and Mr. Sparks.

Mr. Lynch, could you please email me the service manual (ddecoste@mchsi.com)?

Also, I have one issue with the TV. The picture seems to tilt a bit down on the left side. I have also seen this with some store displays. Is this adjustable either through the service menu or any other way? It is bearable but I would like to optimize the picture if possible.

Thanks,
Dave

Bronze Member

Ca Usa

Post Number: 67
"I particularly appreciate comments by Mr. Lynch and Mr. Sparks."

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you including me, but make no mistake, this is Mr. Lynch's forum. He knows this set better than most tech's. I used his tweaks on my set. JVC should have him on their payroll. Thanks Mr. Lynch!

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Looking for help here.

I just hooked up from my Comcast cable box a DVI to HDMI cable. Now I also have a Harmony remote that controls all my devies.

When I press watch TV, it turns on the cable box and the TV. Now I have a split screen.

Now, If I simply turn off the cable box, and then turn it right back on all is fine.
Seems like a timming issue.

Anyone come across this issue? and solve it?

PS: I only have the DVI cable coming out of the cable box.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 649
I noticed the same thing when I tried a DVI to HDMI cable. I also had the component cables hooked up so I thought that was causing the problem. Since I use the HDMI for my DVD player I never dug to deep into the problem. I do believe it corrected itself when I switched to a different input and back.

Does it do it all the time?

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
re: Does it do it all the time?

Seems to.

I hate turning every thing of and on too much. But so far yes.

I had left my component cables attached to input-1 on the TV and connected to nothing and thaught that was doing it. But no, as soon as I power off/on the cable box all (so far) is fine.

I tried removing all cables from input-1 same thing.

Next I can try not using the harmony remote, turn on TV, wait, turn on cable box and check results.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us