Sony KDF 55WF6555 or JVC HD52z575 D-ILA

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 15
I have purchased the Sony KDF 55WF6555 but have not taken delivery yet(a leak popped up during my basement refinishing). I have been reading the different threads on these two models and although I am impressed with the Sony I wanted to see if anyone has any direct comparison info between it and the JVC HD 52Z575.
I am planning on putting this in my new basement family room. Fairly bright room, about 24X18, may hook up PS2 (who am I kidding - I will definitely have the playstation hooked up), will probably be viewing less than 3 hours per day.
Any advice would be appreciated - I like the Sony, but people seem very loyal to the JVC and I could save a few $$$

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
MrMagoo,

Both sets are excellent choices. I compared and considered seriously both of them. I decided to purchase the JVC because of a couple of factors. First, I found the JVC to be more vivid than the Sony. It seemed brighter and sharper than the picture the Sony offered. Second, I watch a lot of sports (fast action) and found that the Sony blurred, digitized, etc. during scenes like that whereas the JVC did not.

The JVC is not without its own flaws. In fact, mine has been serviced a couple of times for the initial bugs that they're working out. JVC has been extremely responsive to my issues. So, I give them high marks for customer service as well.

I am not saying that the Sony is a bad choice at all. In fact, I was very close to purchasing one. It came in in a "close second" to the JVC. However, I believe that what looks good to one person does not necessarily look good to another. If you have not done a side by side comparison, I would recommend that you do so before finalizing your decision. Good luck!

Bronze Member

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 16
Thanks tvshopper - now if I can just find someplace that carries both sets. Neither Sears nor Circuit City had the JVC on the floor - I guess I'll try Best Buy.
Do you have the 52" or 61" JVC? I think the larger JVC is around the same price as the 55" Sony.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
MrMagoo,

I have the 52" (due to the physical constraints of our space). I saw on one thread that the 61" is going for around $3,000.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Just an FYI, RC Willeys carries both the Sony and JVC in case you have a store in your area.

justgotmine
Unregistered guest
I was going to buy the JVC but can't find one in a B&M store around Houston and according to JVC's website the new 52s aren't due out until July. So I bought the Sony...so far I've been very pleased with it. If 61 isn't to big the new JVC 61s just came out too.

Anonymous

I purchased the Sony KDF 55WF6555 at the end of Nov 04. I'm very happy with it. It's a nice looking set also. It gave me comfort that the technology was fairly well established (LCD). I researched about 6 months before settling on this. I'd recommend it.

Bronze Member

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 17
Thanks everyone - I guess I'll stick with the Sony KDF 55WF6555 - I was considering going with the larger set (my room is 25X18), but I think I've spent enough as it is.

Anonymous

I have the sony as well, since Dec, and am happy. My decision was based on a fairly proven technology...

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 684
Both sets have their pluses and minuses. Take a look at both, and go with the one YOU like best. I personally chose the JVC adn I have been very happy with it. JVC has been using their Dila (LCoS) setup in front projectors for over 7 years so it is not something new they just came up with. It is not as proven as LCD, but is has an excellent track record.

Bronze Member

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 18
I did get an opportunity to finally see both sets side by side and preferred the Sony overall. I'm sure that neither TV was set optimally, but I have seen the Sony in several different stores and am very impressed with the picture quality and viewing range.

Anonymous

I have decided to buy the Sony KDF55WF655. When I mentioned it to a friend of mine, he suggested that I find out when the new Sony models will be coming out and perhaps waiting until that time to see if the price drops on the model I want to buy. Does anyone know how to find out this information and might I benefit by a lower purchase price if I wait?

Thanks -
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us