Getting a Decent Cable Picture with a HD Plasma TV

Username: Danabob2

Post Number: 1
I've just recently bought a Pioneer PDP5050HD 50" Plasma TV. It really looks great with DVD's but the Cable is truly horrendous! I live in the SF Bay Area and I currently have basic cable with Comcast (analog). What steps can I take to get a better picture? When in split screen the picture is much smaller but EXTREMELY crisp. In 4:3 the picture is noticably grainy. When I use the dynamic zoom to fill the 16:9 screen the picture gets VERY pixelated and grainy. I'm not quite sure what the cable card slot will accomplish. I've heard that I need to get digital cable with Comcast's tuner and then not use a cable card. I've also heard that I can use the card with analog service to get the same picture but no on screen guide or pay-per-view (I really don't care about that anyway!). If anyone knows for sure what I can do, please let me know. Thank you.

Username: Dssxxxx

Northern, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 2
In a nutshell.

Use the cablecard and you will be amazed at the excellent PQ.

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 107
The WEGA engine on my KLV-30XBR900 does a decent job of upscaling the analog signal. One of the things to check when buying is to ask the sales person to show you that set running analog cable signal.

Username: Danabob2

Post Number: 2
So the cable guy came today and put in the CableCARD and hooked me up with Comcast's HD package. The CableCard doesn't do much at all for the analog cable, but the HD channels are amazing! Too bad there's only 7 HD channels. I guess I just have to wait another 5 years for more channels to go HD.

Anonymous

Upgrading to digital cable service may help.
But I have exactly the same problem with my new HDTV and digital cable; it is very annoying.
I have been experimenting with different combinations of bright,contrast, saturation and backlight
and I am finally homing in on a good setting that makes most stations good to great, instead of horrible to great.
Still a couple that are mediocre.
I just ordered some oxy-free cables and I'my hoping they will also add some cleanup.

Anonymous

I'm a newbie and baffled.. if it's a digital signal input, can oxy-free cable help? and what is an oxy-free cable?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us