27" square tube TV and Letterbox mode

foobar
Unregistered guest
I'm thinking of getting an RCA from Sams Club that is a 27" HDTV tube set. It has a DVI input on the back. I think it's selling for $420. It is about the cheapest HDTV in this size range, except for an Avant that Best Buy has.

Anyhow, it doesn't appear to have a letterbox mode, which is enough to drive me crazy ! There is a comparable Sony set that does have this mode, but it's $720.

Is there anything one can do if your set doesn't have this mode ? Can I "letterbox" it somehow before it reaches the set ? Would this destroy the quality.

Can anyone recommend a 27" HDTV tube set ? I'm looking to spend around $400.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 378
$400.00 is a tough price point to beat for a high definition set. DVDs that are formatted in letterbox should show letterbox in some form on your tv, even if it does not have a letterbox mode. However, you would get the horizontal black bands at the bottom and top of the screen. This would probably be true on any 4:3 set, HD or not, with or without a letterbox feature. A 16:9 set would frequently show full (or native) screen when displaying a letterboxed source. Don't know if this helps or not.

foobar
Unregistered guest
Actually, I should clarify.

It does letterbox DVD's formatted in letterbox, it's just HD signals it does not letterbox.

Some 4:3 sets apparently have a mode that lets them letterbox 16:9 HD signals. There is a nice 32" Sony sitting right next to it in the store that is also 4:3, but it displays the same HD signal letterboxed. If you look close and pay attention, you can see the RCA is doing a chop/stretch routine on the HD signal.

I don't know. I would simply prefer it be letterboxed. I'm not a big fan of the chop/stretch effect.

The Sony is obviously a more sophisticated set. I think it let's you decide to chop/stretch or letterbox.

Of course the Sony is about $800 too. I was hoping there might be a 27" HD tube set that letterboxes HD signals as well as DVD's.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 908
RCA makes some of the most problem prone sets on the market. Compare their picture quality and geometrics to others and they are both poor also. I just bought a Panasonic that does HD signals widescreen or fullscreen either one. It's $549 retail, you could probably get one cheaper on sale. I'm trying to sell mine for about $300, I don't guess that does you much good though.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 724
foobar,
I wouldnt recommend any <34" HDTV...especially if it's going to be in 4:3 format anyway. On TVs that small, HD doesnt make nearly the large difference in picture quality that you can easily see with the big TVs. If you're looking to buy a small sized 27", you might as well stay low-def.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us