Is an upconverting DVD player necessary with DLP or LCD?

Bronze Member
Username: Vikingknut

Post Number: 19
Since, by definition any fixed pixel TVs out there have to upconvert sources signals anyway, why is a upconverting DVD player necessary? It also seems to me that the upconversion process would be of uptmost importance to the TV manufacture. Therefore they would spend considerable time getting it right. The reason I am writing this is that my DVD's look pretty darn good (close to some HD material) on my Toshiba 62HM94 set using my regular progressive scan DVD player. I'm not sure I could get a better picture from an upconverting DVD player. Any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 70
It depends on the quality of the scaler of the DVD player vs the display. The other potential improvement would be using HDMI there wouldn't be any D/A conversions and that may also provide minor improvements.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
I have personally seen the difference between progressive scan and upconvert dvd players and the difference was pretty noticable to me. It's one of the main reasons I want to get another HDTV. When I first viewed dvd's in progressive scan I thought the improvement was good but I was still getting lots of motion artifacts on a HD crt. But once I saw the same movie on an upconvert dvd player, I was really impressed. I've seen the difference on a plasma display and a lcd rear projection. At first I wasn't impressed with HD displays because the movie was in progressive scan and the picture looked horrible on these nice sets. Then a salesman set the DVD player to upconvert mode and that sold me right away. Most tv's don't come with a great scalers. The ones that do come with the good scalers (Faroudja) usually aren't that cheap. The upconvert DVD players usually come with much better scalers. Your best bet though is to go to a circuit city or best buy and see for yourself on your model of tv with the type of movie you like to watch. Make sure you switch between upconvert and progressive scan to see if you notice a difference. Your set may already have a great scaler and getting an upcovert dvd player would be a waste.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us