Samsung HLP5063 "rainbows" question

Bronze Member
Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 31
Well, I'm on my second TV since October '04 after Samsung replaced the first for the noisy color wheel, screen "smudges", and some mosaic effect after the color wheel installation. Talk about a lemon! Anyway, before the replacement, I had read about "rainbows" on these boards, but hadn't seen them. Well, now I do. The color wheel doesn't make a sound, the smudges are gone(so far), but I see the rainbows. It's not something that bothers me incredibly, but I sure wouldn't mind If they wrern't there. Rarely do I see any "obvious" ones right in plain sight, but mostly when moving my head or turning my head away quickly. Somtimes I see them just when blinking my eyes. My question is(to those of you that have already experienced this effect) is this just a characteristic of this TV and it's "just the way it is", or is there something that can be done in the way of repair to fix this? Also, a few times now when we have turned the TV on we have had a pink "tint" to the entire screen. We shut the set off, turn it back on, and it's gone(so Far). Anyone experienced this treat yet, and, if so, is it related to the rainbows? Thanks in advance for any feedback. I just want to know if it's time to call Samsung again.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
The rainbow effect is caused by using the color wheel. No way around it. I had a Samsung for about 3 weeks. I had the rainbow and after almost the 3 weeks, it would come on in black and white and gain color after about 10 minutes. I took it back and got a Sony LCD.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Jim:
The rainbow effect is a very interesting one. People that don't ever see them can be trained to by exactly the means that you mention. I actually see them worse in the fish bowl across from the set. The good news is that you can also train yourself to see them minimally by consciously at first limiting the activities that cause you to see them. Eventually it becomes a viewing habit.

I have not seen a pink tint that goes away with an on-off transition, but Before the lamp is totally up to peak the colors are definitely not quite right, sometimes pinkish, often greenish depending on type of signal (sd, hd, dvd) analog signals are definitely the worst. One thing to avoid is turning the set on and off at short intervals since this may damage the bulb/ballast.

Bronze Member
Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 32
Thanks Klaus.....yeah, like I said, it's not a really big deal, just curious if it was a "fixable" problem, and it sounds like it's the nature of the beast. I heard today Samsung mentions it in there support FAQ's, so there may be some "fix" later, or not. The pink tint thing has only been a few times, so we'll see how that goes......that's why I got the extended warranty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us