Sony KD-34XBR960 with dark picture

Username: Rayray

Post Number: 2
I have a new KD-34XBR960 that has a dark picture! It's like looking at programs through sun glasses. I am using TimeWarner San Diego and have installed a SA8300DVR cable box. When the cable is attached directly to the TV, the analog stations come throught clear and bright - but the digital and HD stations are dark with almost no shading. When connected via the cable box, all pictures are dark with minimal or no shading. (I have tried a Pioneer cable box and a SA3250HD box, but the picture is the same.) I have also spent considerable time trying to brighten up the picture using the TV controls. A Sony tech came to my house and adjusted the geometry and increased the internal brightness level, but didn't have an explanation for the dark picture. A Time Warner tech in the home office said that they have received some other complaints regarding dark pictures - they are looking into it, but who knows what they are doing.

I am awaiting the RMA from the Sony authorized e-tailer where I purchased the unit...oh well...

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 369
Ray, I own this set and have not experienced the difficulties you mention. In my humble opinion, it produces the best HD picture available to the consumer, bar none. Have you tried a DVD player? If the technician indicates there are other complaints, it may be Time Warner and not the television. Try hooking up a DVD player to the same inputs where you now have your cable box and get back to us.

Username: Rayray

Post Number: 3
Dale, thanks for the comment. It seems that the problem is really with the broadcast channels and the cable company - sometimes the signal is great and sometimes it's terrible. I am using an HDMI to HDMI interface now. Some shows come across fine, others are too dark...some are sharp and others fuzzy. I have started adjusting the brightness from it default in the standard mode to compensate for the darkness, as well as making other adjustments when necessary - I guess that's why we have a remote and why Sony has given us so many options for adjusting the picture. I've seen the same thing with most(if not all)HDTV's in the showrooms after I adjust them from their "vivid" modes. So, it seems that the 960 is OK.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 449
That's great news Ray. One thing about this television: if the cable or source sucks, so will the picture. I have the same problem with Adelphia. I did add an amplifier to the cable where it comes into the house and this helped some. But for HD and DVD sources, I still say it is the absolute best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us